• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cordier Clears Waivers

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell could he have cleared waivers? No team can use a 100-MPH flame thrower at league minimum?

Shocking.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cordier cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A Sacramento. Because he has been outrighted previously, he has three days to decide whether to accept the assignment. He would become a free agent if he refuses, but since he has less than 5 years of service time his contract would not be guaranteed (he would give up $650K). I think he accepts the assignment, goes to Sac and tries to impress there.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Erik Cordier Declines Assignment, Re-Signs With Giants - MLB Trade Rumors

I am at a complete loss on this one. What advantage would there be to him declining the assignment, but then resigning? Maybe he signed a minor league deal worth more money? Maybe the new deal had a promise of a sept call up?

further, with as deep as our bully is, both in SF and Sacto, why would he want to stay here? You would think there would be an easier path with another org. I have a hard time believing he is sticking around just because he like the Giants better than another org and is willing to potentially forego an MLB career out of loyalty.

There MUST be a wart on him that we are unaware of.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am at a complete loss on this one. What advantage would there be to him declining the assignment, but then resigning? Maybe he signed a minor league deal worth more money? Maybe the new deal had a promise of a sept call up?

further, with as deep as our bully is, both in SF and Sacto, why would he want to stay here? You would think there would be an easier path with another org. I have a hard time believing he is sticking around just because he like the Giants better than another org and is willing to potentially forego an MLB career out of loyalty.

Per Pavlovic just now, the new contract is better.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe he stayed for shot at the bling.

sanfransicogiantsring.jpg

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't buy it. Not for a AAAA type player. A fringe player has other concerns, like having a career.

Besides, he already has one.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't buy it. Not for a AAAA type player. A fringe player has other concerns, like having a career.

Besides, he already has one.

I do share your puzzlement. There are plenty of teams with mediocre bullpens, he could easily be a solid bullpen guy for someone else. Not sure with the G-man, lots of pitchers in front of him.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man, You have to give the brass credit for some of the most beautiful Championship rings I have ever seen. Class all the way. That SF really looks good. The SF logo might be the best in sports from the Giants to the 49ers. Maybe when the Warriors move to SF they will change the logo to a different form of a SF. Would be sweet.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Pavlovic just now, the new contract is better.

There are different grades of 'better'. It could be there's a 'if not on the team by Aug 31st' clause, it could be more money, it could be something else.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His new contract has more "out-clauses". He probably has a comfort level with the Giants, maybe a pitching coach or something. So if the market isn't there for him yet, may as well stay home. But he can leave if he wants.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His new contract has more "out-clauses". He probably has a comfort level with the Giants, maybe a pitching coach or something. So if the market isn't there for him yet, may as well stay home. But he can leave if he wants.

As I said, there are different degrees of 'better'. He's not trapped by his contract, and can leave when he wants (sort of). There might be more interest in him from a team in contention in late July, after putting up stellar numbers in AAA (if he does).

Giants notes: Erik Cordier signs new deal with Giants, Cain might beat Peavy back to the big leagues, etc. - Giants Extra