• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

cool league rules

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything about your league that's a little off, yet makes things fun and interesting?? Maybe some cool ideas, if we share, might spark league discussions and even rule changes in the future.

Example: in my league, we've always had it that if you had the #1 waiver rank you could use it to claim an unlisted player.
This year, after a year of someone sitting on the #1 spot until right before our minor league FA deadline, we added to the rule.
Now anyone can "nominate" an unlisted player. This begins a 48 hours period where others can put in a claim for him. The owner with the highest waiver ranking who makes a claim would get him. (and go to bottom of waiver order)
If you win a guy that you nominate however, you're done for making future nominations.

So, anyway, the guy at bottom of waiver order just nominated Bryant, Cubs' 3B draftee... #10 guy just jumped in with a claim...and away we go...

It's kind of fun.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is a baseball, but for our fantasy football league, we have 13 guys and it is a 12 man league. If you come in last, you're out for a year and are forbidden to play fantasy in any other leagues for that season.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouck ckhokie. Lmao.... that's frigging hilarious.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My other Yahoo league, no C position. The commish hates catchers. You can, however, use a catcher at UTIL. Also, no DL slots.

Not really sure if this qualifies as cool. :)

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My other Yahoo league, no C position. The commish hates catchers.

Not cool.

Of course I played with no C position for a while too. Thank you Jesus

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not cool.

Of course I played with no C position for a while too. Thank you Jesus

As a matter of my personal principles, I don't find any rules to be cool. They tend to get in the way of otherwise having fun.

I did play in a fantasy league made up of only other Dodger fans, thinking that would be cool. It was not. They were too homerish for their own good. I thought this might happen, so I stayed away from all Dodger players in that league. I won the league, which was fine. However, I pretty much had the whole thing wrapped up at about this time of that season, so it was so un-fun, I did not keep that league going.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my keeper league, you can only pickup a total of 40 free agents for the season. It makes it interesting as you have to think a little more with each pickup, and it cuts out (for the most part) those impulse pickups grabbing a guy and dropping him an hour later. It also really limits streaming, but if you have a good enough draft and save your moves you can always stream your way through the playoffs.

We also have a minimum innings pitched count of 40 which isn't interesting, but combined with the 40 f/a rule, you could screw yourself if you run out of moves and get a rash of pitching injuries.

One final note, we switched from saves to saves+holds this year. I've always hated holds as a stand alone category but I really like it combined with saves. There are a lot of good middle relief pitchers out there and they deserved to be used, and there is a lot of turn over with closers and there are usually 2-3 teams in each league that choose to punt saves because of the lack of talent or available closers. This takes care of this without forcing people to draft closer and middle relief pitchers as they would have to if the two categories were scored separately.

You see Scott Rosenthal on the waiver wire and think...mehhhh, but now look at him with 15 saves/holds and he's a must own player. I know in our MBBRL this was proposed but some were against it, but I'm hoping some more people will come around to this. :hope: