1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Converting MS Access to SQLite

Discussion in 'Tech Forum' started by DonMan, Jan 7, 2020.

1. DonMan

DonMan Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

A client of mine has been using an old MS Access Database/app that I initially wrote for him well over 10 years ago. A few years back, we converted to a newer version of Access to enable the app to run on newer computers. Recently, the app starting giving him "corrupt" errors that can't be corrected via the compact/repair tool. It looks like the most pragmatic solution may be to convert the data to a more open platform, and then rewrite the app.

About five years ago, I converted a small Access database I had to SQLite via a free conversion tool I found online. With the searching I've done so far, I haven't found anything for free that will convert his data. There are some tables with a relatively large # of records, so "free" might not be a practical option.

The first "trial" I tried was something called FullConvert, which wanted $699 for the pay version. I figure I can probably do better than that. I found something else called DBConvert, which if it actually works will be acceptable at $149.

Anyone have any experience/recommendations for this sort of thing?

2. JohnShadows

JohnShadows Deep State Rep

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

How to port an existing MS Access to SQLite for use with android app developement?

It looks like you can do it if you can export to csv. If you can do that, while maintaining the relational structure, could also just insert it into regular mysql.

3. DonMan

DonMan Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Thanks John, that link gave me another angle to approach this issue that I hadn't considered. The old Access app has only a handful of tables with a large number of records, so exporting the whole thing one table at a time from within Access itself is probably a manageable project.

If I can get the whole thing into CSV the rest should be pretty straightforward. I've tentatively chosen SQLite for practicality reasons; this app is small enough that it's convenient to use a "database in a can" approach. I've used SQLite for a few small projects at home; it was amazingly easy to port cross-platform without any hitches.

4. Roy Munson

Roy Munson Posting with one hand

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

I could do it in Java... but it'll cost you.