• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conflicting reports on Romo

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This stuff is driving me nuts. David Carr came out and said he had same injury and was out two weeks. Of course he wasn't 36. Broaddus is maintaining his thoughts of the first 4 games. Some are saying 2 games. Some are saying 10 games. Of course JG hasn't ruled him out for the opener. If they put him on IR to return - that is gonna piss me off. He is having another MRI this weekend supposedly.

Lifer

Accountable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something tells me we see very little of Romo this year. Not happy about that either. The fragile factor has become just too strong.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to worry.....Prescott will be fine and if Romo returns, he'll just make you guys better once he gets in shape. But, he may want to make this his last season.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to worry.....Prescott will be fine and if Romo returns, he'll just make you guys better once he gets in shape. But, he may want to make this his last season.

The games are definitely what matters and he has looked great. Supposedly though he can't hit a bull in the ass at practice.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,098.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The games are definitely what matters and he has looked great. Supposedly though he can't hit a bull in the ass at practice.

Game time is the only time that matters. Some players are better when the action is live.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at it from just the facts (if the injury reported is true)

1) Romo felt good enough to play after the hit.
2) There is no surgery needed
3) A doctor described this injury as no structural unlike his other back injury.
And that it's just discomfort that determines when you return to normal. In other words when it stops hurting
your ready to go. (this part may be more speculation than fact)

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at it from just the facts (if the injury reported is true)

1) Romo felt good enough to play after the hit.
2) There is no surgery needed
3) A doctor described this injury as no structural unlike his other back injury.
And that it's just discomfort that determines when you return to normal. In other words when it stops hurting
your ready to go. (this part may be more speculation than fact)

True. It's wierd they didn't work something out with Austin Davis. I don't know man - I swear when I read shorter than expected I was on cloud 9. 10 minutes afterwards, a new article came out speculating he was going to IR.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This stuff is driving me nuts. David Carr came out and said he had same injury and was out two weeks. Of course he wasn't 36. Broaddus is maintaining his thoughts of the first 4 games. Some are saying 2 games. Some are saying 10 games. Of course JG hasn't ruled him out for the opener. If they put him on IR to return - that is gonna piss me off. He is having another MRI this weekend supposedly.

Only person I care to hear from are the actual Dr's. Everyone heals at different rates. I am expecting tony on the IR designated for return.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. It's wierd they didn't work something out with Austin Davis. I don't know man - I swear when I read shorter than expected I was on cloud 9. 10 minutes afterwards, a new article came out speculating he was going to IR.

I think we have our eye on someone specific to be cut. Hoping not Kap or Sanchez. Is Philly going to keep all three expensive QB's?

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only person I care to hear from are the actual Dr's. Everyone heals at different rates. I am expecting tony on the IR designated for return.

A Doctor’s Take On Tony Romo’s Injury: No Permanent Damage, No Surgery, Should Be Fine To Play Again

A Doctor Weighs In On Tony Romo's Future

For a few minutes on Thursday night, the Dallas Cowboys world stood still, with Tony Romo down on the field, clutching his back. It’s worth noting, by the way, that several Seattle Seahawks stayed nearby to check on Tony and make sure he was okay. The respect was nice to see.

A few minutes later, all seemed right with the world and Tony was begging to go back in. During his post-game press conference he talked about dodging a bullet and he felt good enough that the team didn’t even bother to x-ray him.

I was a little less optimistic, which is odd to type. I told my father in a phone conversation, "you know Tony. This guy went back into a game with a punctured lung... the team needs to not take his word on this and do an x-ray to be safe."

And, two days later, with Romo still in "discomfort" ( an understatement if there ever was one), they did. The actual results weren’t disclosed, but Todd Archer reports it’s an L1 compression fracture. The L1 vertebra is the top bone of the lumbar portion of the spine, where the lumbar meets the thoracic. It’s basically the first back bone that is completely below your rib-cage.

Dr. David Chao (@profootballdoc) said that was his original gut feeling on the issue, but like many of us, including the team doctors, he was taken in by Romo’s persistent optimism and pain tolerance. "I saw the video and thought ‘compression’ but the fact that the team docs were ok without getting a precautionary x-ray led me astray. I still count it as a mistake [on my part]."

Dr. Chao has 17 years of NFL sideline experience and is a consultant for SiriusXM. He answered several questions on twitter Saturday in response to the breaking news, answering a lot of questions which are important to Cowboys fans, including reassurance that this was not related to Romo’s historical back problems.

"This was pure trauma," said Chao," the L1 fracture is away from the area of disc surgery." He did have the caveat that he was unaware of the location of the cyst surgery in 2013, but didn’t feel it was related. He also noted that the transverse process injury was a different location as well, but that there was a significant difference in the two injuries.

"Not the same bone, not the same part of bone. Tony Romo’s bone is not weak. This was football trauma." Unlike the transverse injury, however, the lumbar injury is structural. "It’s much different than in 2014. There’s risk it could get worse. No immediate return to play. He can’t take a hit for six weeks." Chao did note, however, that Romo could be throwing in two weeks time as the throwing motion doesn’t adversely affect the L1 vertebra.

"The bad news is he’s out a minimum 6 weeks. The good news is there’s no surgery required. This injury heals well on its own and there should be no long term issues."

"If Tony Romo wants to play, this will not end his career. There is no medical indication for forced retirement."

Some good news for Cowboys fans and Tony Romo, who clearly loves to play the game. Six weeks from injury would be in time for the Bengals game, but it makes more sense to get him some practice reps and ease him up to game speed over the next couple of weeks, take the bye for one more rest week, and bring him back for the home game against thePhiladelphia Eagles. That would be nine and a half weeks of the outside ten weeks they said it would take to get him back healthy with a two week preparation. I would imagine the prognosis for that is much better than thrusting him back in at the minimum six-week window, and then having him play the shortest week in the NFL against the best defense in the NFL like they did last year.

And this year, there’s actually reason to believe they’ll be okay without him, but that’s another story.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carr's injury is irrelevant, Romp has had several major injuries to his back and shoulder the last few years, and it accumulates. I'd say if he might be on the field before mid-season, but he ain't gonna be right all year

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's out for the first two. this we agree, right?

that's all that currently matters

No, waiting for JG to say it. Starting to think about 50 as well.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys Sign QB Jerrod Johnson, Waive DL Zach Wood
Nate Bouda 2 hours ago Cowboys, NFL Transactions 0 Comments

Update:

The Dallas Cowboys have signed QB Jerrod Johnson to a contract ahead of tonight’s preseason game, according to Rob Phillips.

• Brandon George reports that the Cowboys waived DL Zach Wood to make room for Johnson.
Wood, 23, went undrafted out of SMU back in May before signing a three-year, $1.62 million contract with the Cowboys. He stands to make a base salary of $450,000 for the 2016 season.

———-

According to Clarence Hill, the Cowboys are targeting for QB Jerrod Johnson to backup Jameill Showers for tonight’s preseason finale.

Dallas brought QB Austin Davis in a for a workout, but a report from earlier in the day mentions that it was unlikely that they would agree to a contract.

Johnson, 28, wound up signing on with the Eagles as an undrafted free agent out of Texas A&M back in 2011. Since then, Johnson has played for the Steelers, Seahawks and Bears before joining the Ravens on a future/reserve contract back in January.

He was unfortunately waived earlier in the week, as the Ravens trimmed their roster down to 75 players.

Johnson has yet to appear in an NFL game.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, but he won't be going anywhere

Tony Romo
  • Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk recently reached out to various league executives and coaches around the NFL regarding Cowboys QB Tony Romo‘s value.
  • Florio says that several of them quickly said Romo would have no trade value at all, due to his age and injury history.
  • However, others could see Romo netting the Cowboys a mid-round pick, or possibly a conditional fourth-round pick that could become a third-round selection based on playing time/performance.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Romo’s Timetable To Return Closer To 8-10 Weeks, Could Be Place On Short-Term I.R.
Nate Bouda 18 hours ago Cowboys 0 Comments

David Moore of the Dallas Morning News reports that while Cowboys QB Tony Romo is expected to require a 6-to-10 week time frame to return from the broken bone in his back, it’s more likely that Romo misses 8-to-10 weeks.

This means that his timetable is more in line with the amount of time he would miss if Dallas placed him on injured reserve with the designation to return.

Moore says that Romo will get an MRI on his back this weekend, and the results will likely determine whether the Cowboys will keep him on their active roster or put him on short-term I.R.

Cowboys executive VP Stephen Jones explained Wednesday that they are still considering whether to placeRomo on short-term injured reserve next week.

“We’re certainly getting our hands around it,” Jones said, via the Star-Telegram. “We’ll be needing to make that decision obviously sometime later in the weekend. Whatever we do with him, he’ll need to be on our 53 when we cut it on Friday. So you’ve got to have him through the 53 cut before you can put him on designated to return, if we wanted to consider that. But it may be that we just keep him on the roster. We’ll just see.”

Romo, 36, is in the third year of his seven-year, $119.5 million contract that included $55 million guaranteed. He stands to make base salaries of $8.5 million (2016), $14 million (2017), $19.5 million (2018) and $20.5 million (2019).

In 2015, Romo threw for 884 yards while completing 68.6 percent of his passes to go along with five touchdowns and seven interceptions over the course of four games for the Cowboys.

We’ll have more regarding Romo as the news is available.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys weigh their options while playing the Tony Romo guessing game again
The Dallas quarterback could head to short-term injured reserve
Will Brinson
mugshot by Will Brinson
@WillBrinson
7h ago • 2 min read

The latest chapter of the Tony Romo Injury Saga is playing out just like the original script of 2015. Just like last year, there is hope in Dallas for a Romo return, with the Cowboys quarterback getting pegged for a timetable of six to 10 weeks originally and now having his timeline shifted a little bit.
The term "IR" is being thrown around now by the Dallas front office, with Stephen Jones saying, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, that the team is handling the situation as best it can.
"We're certainly getting our hands around it," Jones said. "We'll be needing to make that decision obviously sometime later in the weekend. Whatever we do with him, he'll need to be on our 53 when we cut it on Friday. So you've got to have him through the 53 cut before you can put him on designated to return, if we wanted to consider that. But it may be that we just keep him on the roster. We'll just see."
The Star-Telegram believes the initial timeline of 6-10 weeks for a Romo return, as reported by CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora, is now on the back end of that timeline. It's more likely Romo is back in 8-10 weeks.
And this is not the same back injury Romo played through previously in his career, either.
The Star-Telegram reports that in this particular case, the "bone must fully heal" -- Romo can't just magically come back from injury and play through pain.
This is where designated-for-return IR comes into play. The Cowboys have to walk a bit of a tightrope here.

Putting Romo on designated IR would mean he can't return any sooner than Nov. 6 against the Browns, the Cowboys eighth game of the season.
The Cowboys are still clearly holding out hope, however, with Jones calling the injury a "freak" thing, even though it keeps happening to the same guy.
"He's very driven, driven to do what it takes to get back," Jones said. "We've really done a lot of research on this, and I think this was a very freak accident. It's unfortunate for Tony that he has some of these things, but I think the last thing in the world we're worried about with Tony is being fragile. Everybody saw the hit and the tackle. It was awkward. I think most doctors would tell you that whoever that would have been would have had a hard time coming through that without some sort of injury.
"He is undeterred, and he really believes that this team does have a different mindset with him not being here and that we can win games and when he does get back, he's ready to make a run. I think Tony is more prepared to have success in this league than he's ever been. The key word, as he well knows, is he's got to stay healthy and he's got to be able to play, but if he does that, mentally and his knowledge of this game and what our offense is about, I think is the best it's ever been. So we just look forward to winning some football games as we move forward. When Tony gets back, the team will be ready for him."
The team's got Dak Prescott to man things, and Ezekiel Elliott looks like the real deal. The Cowboys can fashion an offense together for a while. But if Romo is forced to sit out half a season -- at bare minimum -- Dallas' fate may already be decided by the time he's able to come back.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see it. I've heard JG play with the media too many times. Hell, he had me thinking Romo was going to be playing the last week of 2013 with a herniated disc. I get the gamesmanship. The day to day talk he gives them, sure it's blah blah blah. What was different though is he mentioned that Romo has played with broken bones before. That says to me that Garrett is holding out hope. The IR thing- if they do that and he is healthy for 2 of those games , the hell with it. Minnesota come calling

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some are saying 2 weeks??? Who is saying that?