• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Confidence

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Pens won their first cup in the 90s, they were a total Cinderella team that got lucky basically but the next year, even though they did have good/great players, they had so much confidence and it really seemed to be the key to the following 2 years or success.

I know, this is the Flyers board, but I really do think the confidence of knowing what they can do is going to make them so much better come October. I see them being 1 or 2 in the division and who the hell knows what to expect in the playoffs?

Just wondering what you all honestly think you will see next year since you all know much better than I do? I expect a huge improvement from last years regular season record.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been comparing the Pens cup season with the Flyers last season. They fired their coach and won the Cup, we fired our coach and almost won the Cup. Also the thoughts of almost winning it and then coming back to win it the next season. When the Pens went down 2-0 then came back 2-2 then it went 3-2 wings and then having to win 2 in a row, I was thinking about that a lot when the Flyers were down 3-2.

I'm definitely expecting them to come out with a much stronger season, they seemed to finally understand what it was like to play as a team once they got into the playoffs. If that doesnt carry over into this season i'll be pissed. In dire need of signing Hamhuis or at least a legit 3rd pairing dman. I feel that was definitely our weakest spot.

Like you said they should be a more confident team but we'll see how it all plays out. Should at least make things a little more interesting for the Penguins this season as they convincingly won the season series.

I think that run also gave a lot of guys much needed experience. I think most noticeably improve Coburn, Hartnell, and Leinos game. Coburn developed a Pronger-esque mean streak, and Hartnell finally started to play smarter. Looks like Leino is becoming the force that the Wings thought he was when they drafted him.

I'm looking forward to a full season of Leino, and hopefully a healthy Gagne. I think Giroux and Leino are going to be our most important forwards in terms of secondary scoring.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
this is what i was thinking when the season was over. they stood toe to toe with a team that put themselves in a horrible cap situation to try to win it. now, i think the hawks will still be good although they will have a tough time being as good.

i think the pens were in their minds a bit and now i think the flyers believe they can win against anybody. hopefully.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers were just like last years Pens as far as team happenings and the playoff run. I enjoyed watching them make that run but now I am nervous as hell that they could do what the early 90s pens did with all of that confidence after that first cup.

I don't know why, I just cant hate the Flyers. I have hate for rival NFL team with passion like Cincy and Cleveland but just not near the hate for any NHL team?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know why, I just cant hate the Flyers. I have hate for rival NFL team with passion like Cincy and Cleveland but just not near the hate for any NHL team?

I didn't hate the Pens until a band of idiot fans showed up on the Flyers board in Spring 2008 and set up camp there. Just managed to turn me against the entire team and their fanbase until I got over here.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And to your original point, I thought the Flyers gained similar confidence after 2008 when they knocked off #3 Washington and #1 Montreal before losing in the ECF to the Pens. It's a shame they didn't build on that in 2009 and took a step backward.

I think a lot broke right for the Flyers in this year's playoffs when they didn't have to face Washington or Pittsburgh. I still think those are the top 2 teams in the East in terms of top individual talent.

There are a lot of question marks going into next season (goaltending, is Leino for real, which Hartnell/Briere will show up.) If everything goes right, they'll be a fun team to watch come playoff time.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't hate the Pens until a band of idiot fans showed up on the Flyers board in Spring 2008 and set up camp there. Just managed to turn me against the entire team and their fanbase until I got over here.

I was the same way and oddly enough Chris hXc was the main reason I hated the Flyers so bad that year. We used to bicker over stupid shit. All good now.....so far. :D To be honest, Tox and Gagne are a big reason I am more soft towards the Flyers these days.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect the Flyers to be very good next year. It will help a lot that they will be able to have training camp and an entire year with Laviolette. It took them a little while there to get used to his system. The team has proven that they have heart and expectations will be high (as they should be). I'm sure every one in the organization will be thinking Cup or bust. Hopefully, Homer can work his magic and improve the team.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Same man. I never had any problems with the Penguins or their fans until Crosby was drafted and it was like every bandwagon fan in the history of Pittsburgh history showed up and started talking shit out of nowhere. Prior to that I was pretty upset when they talked about moving the Penguins out of PA. After the wave of Crosby fans showed up I was like hmm...maybe KC wouldnt be such a bad place for the Pens after all!

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was the same way and oddly enough Chris hXc was the main reason I hated the Flyers so bad that year. We used to bicker over stupid shit. All good now.....so far. :D To be honest, Tox and Gagne are a big reason I am more soft towards the Flyers these days.

Well I hated the Penguins mainly because of penguins posters on that ESPN board as well. Most noticeably the the female puppy1198.

also before the Penguins fans it was the Sabres fans that I couldnt stand, and prior to even registering for the board I hate the Devils, not any of their fans(because they only have 11) just the Devils in general :o

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I hated the Penguins mainly because of penguins posters on that ESPN board as well. Most noticeably the the female puppy1198.

also before the Penguins fans it was the Sabres fans that I couldnt stand, and prior to even registering for the board I hate the Devils, not any of their fans(because they only have 11) just the Devils in general :o

Hey Hey, Come on Chris we had one thing in common. I hated the Sabres trolls too. :)

Seriously, I hated the Flyers and their fans for many years but after knowing them (posters like you Tox and super) I realized that we did have one thing in common and that was we are passionate about our teams.

I hate trolls but love passionate fans !!!

Lets Go Buffalo !!!

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My bad I misworded it, before the Penguins trolls it was the Sabres trolls I couldnt stand.

82-0-0!!!!!!!!!!!

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I met Steve, I despised almost everything. I had a 16 yr marriage coming to a very expensive and bitter end and I took it out on hundreds of hundreds over at that festering ass wart.

Steve and I started out at each others throats, but over time and a lot of compromises on both of our parts, we both agreed to disagree and soon there after we became close friends and I am damn glad to say.......are to this day.

The moral of my sappy story?

Just chill the fuck out. Hockey is all of our passions....not our lives.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I met Steve, I despised almost everything. I had a 16 yr marriage coming to a very expensive and bitter end and I took it out on hundreds of hundreds over at that festering ass wart.

Steve and I started out at each others throats, but over time and a lot of compromises on both of our parts, we both agreed to disagree and soon there after we became close friends and I am damn glad to say.......are to this day.

Thats quite a story Tox. i also was an asshole over at the swamp. I never thought I would sign up and actually want to be nice to anyone. Now, years later, all Iwant is to be around the nice ones and be a part of something good. I learn, more than anything, being around you bunch of fags! :D

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We didn't start out that way, I caught your hung over ass on a morning and was replying to one of your lame threads and you thought I was talking shit until you realized I was a Flyer's fan. I don't remember the whole gist but it made bong hits all that much more funnier that morning..

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gooch....seems we, like a lot of other I suppose, have learned more than we though we did from a fucking hockey message board, huh? :)

SF....I said "Steve" not "Mike" ya stoned bitch!! :D

( I do remember that day though....I was wound for sound for damn sure! lol )

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the Flyers keep the core of their team and stay healthy, they could make a deep run in the playoffs again. Maybe them and the Bruins in the ECF?

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gooch....seems we, like a lot of other I suppose, have learned more than we though we did from a fucking hockey message board, huh? :)

SF....I said "Steve" not "Mike" ya stoned bitch!! :D

( I do remember that day though....I was wound for sound for damn sure! lol )

Yea man, Its pretty strange to admit that but its true. I wouldnt say it outloud to anyone tho. lol They wouldnt understand.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the Flyers keep the core of their team and stay healthy, they could make a deep run in the playoffs again. Maybe them and the Bruins in the ECF?

I'd like to see a rematch for sure!! :)

Boychuk inked for 2 more years, right?

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amen my friend. Well said Tox.