• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conference Championship Games

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot can and will change between now and then. But this is how the conference championship games are looking like they will be as of now.

AAC: Cincinnati vs Memphis (Could easily be Navy or SMU too, but I'll put Memphis here since they beat both H2H)
ACC: Clemson vs Virginia
Big Ten: Ohio State vs Minnesota
Big XII: Baylor vs Oklahoma
C-USA: FAU vs Louisiana Tech
MAC: Miami (OH) vs Western Michigan
MWC: Boise State vs SDSU
Pac-12: Oregon vs Utah
SEC: Georgia vs LSU
Sun Belt: Appalachian State vs Louisiana

How would you rank these matchups? This is what mine would be:
1. Georgia vs LSU
2. Oregon vs Utah
3. Ohio State vs Minnesota
4. Baylor vs Oklahoma
5. Cincinnati vs Memphis
6. Clemson vs Virginia
7. Boise State vs SDSU
8. Appalachian State vs Louisiana
9. FAU vs Louisiana Tech
10. Miami (OH) vs Western Michigan

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally think either A. More emphasis should be put on these games, or B. Get rid of them all together.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally think either A. More emphasis should be put on these games, or B. Get rid of them all together.

And expanding the CFP would do the opposite for CCG's. It would make some of them pointless

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top 2 on his list are essentially CFP play-in games. How can you improve upon that?
I think with the way Bama is sitting this year we will see if this system works. If Bama was to get in over a 1 loss conference champ then clearly there is an issue. But either the game means something (which if LSU is to win out and put the committee in that decision) or it means nothing at all.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with the way Bama is sitting this year we will see if this system works. If Bama was to get in over a 1 loss conference champ then clearly there is an issue. But either the game means something (which if LSU is to win out and put the committee in that decision) or it means nothing at all.

Does that mean you are scared you might have to face Alabama again in the playoffs?

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And expanding the CFP would do the opposite for CCG's. It would make some of them pointless
I see only the SEC game wouldn’t matter other than seeding. All others would still be a play-in game.

5 Conference Champs + LSU/UGA loser + Bama. That leaves 1 slot. Think it would make for great drama.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that mean you are scared you might have to face Alabama again in the playoffs?
Why would I be? Bama had to pull out a trick play and had a special teams play to be within even a punchers chance.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if home field was awarded to top 4 seeds.

It would be at a neutral field so that wouldn't make sense. Split the tickets 60-40. Still, some games would be pointless and the regular season would mean that much less.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see only the SEC game wouldn’t matter other than seeding. All others would still be a play-in game.

5 Conference Champs + LSU/UGA loser + Bama. That leaves 1 slot. Think it would make for great drama.

Not every year and who knows...we still have a long way to go. There is always more drama at the end of the season. Upsets happen.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL they scored 46 on the Bama defense. Bama had a special teams TD and they were down 3 TD's at one point. That Bama defense isn't scaring anyone.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL they scored 46 on the Bama defense. Bama had a special teams TD and they were down 3 TD's at one point. That Bama defense isn't scaring anyone.

It scares me to see how leaky they are! And how often they can shoot themselves in the foot with stupid penalties.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be at a neutral field so that wouldn't make sense. Split the tickets 60-40. Still, some games would be pointless and the regular season would mean that much less.
Why does it have to be a neutral field if they want to award home games in round 1 to top 4 seeds?

And some games wind up being pointless every year. If UGA gets in did the game vs. S. Carolina matter, for instance?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does it have to be a neutral field if they want to award home games in round 1 to top 4 seeds?

And some games wind up being pointless every year. If UGA gets in did the game vs. S. Carolina matter, for instance?

Yes, the South Carolina game matters, why wouldn't it. If UGA gets in it means they took down Florida, Auburn, Notre Dame and the #1 team in LSU...that isn't easy. I don't see your point?
But letting in a team that won their conference or a team in general that had 3 or 4 losses is fair, it's the reason why expanding to 8 would be an awful decision. Either way, I don't see this happening anytime soon...so we are safe for now.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the South Carolina game matters, why wouldn't it. If UGA gets in it means they took down Florida, Auburn, Notre Dame and the #1 team in LSU...that isn't easy. I don't see your point?
But letting in a team that won their conference or a team in general that had 3 or 4 losses is fair, it's the reason why expanding to 8 would be an awful decision. Either way, I don't see this happening anytime soon...so we are safe for now.
If UGA can lose to USCe then that game did not matter.

did you mean to say letting in a team with 3-4 losses is NOT fair? If so, I disagree, so long as there are rules set forth everyone knows. If P5 CCG winners are automatic and one happens to have 3-4 losses, then so be it. If you don't want them in? don't lose to them in CCG.

and, really, how often would this have happened the last decade or so? Only example I can think of was when BIG was won by such a team when OSU and PSU were ineligible to play in CCG.

Not ideal in NFL, but world goes on when 8-8 teams win their division and make the playoffs. At least we know the "rules" going in.

I think an 8 teamer might be coming sooner than you think. I suspect Saban sees it and it's why he is now allowing Bama to play tougher OOC games at home of other schools in his future schedules.