• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Completely Non-FF Thoughts

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TREFF More evidence someone is getting content by reading these message boards:

Posted this on the NFL Forum on Friday:

California Dreamin':
Jim Harbaugh trades Herbert to the Bears for the #1 pick.
This morning on ESPN Chicago, they were talking about a scenario that sends Herbert to the Bears since the Chargers are like $32 million over the cap.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TREFF More evidence someone is getting content by reading these message boards:

Posted this on the NFL Forum on Friday:

This morning on ESPN Chicago, they were talking about a scenario that sends Herbert to the Bears since the Chargers are like $32 million over the cap.
Wow..Harbaugh could get McCarthy without trading for #1..lol

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I seem to recall Bell saying similar things when his career was being judged by "people who don't fully understand football".. then was promptly ran out of the league because he sucked. Apparently no one really understands anything unless they agree with Bell, who apparently is now a boxing analyst professional.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caleb Williams
Really scared this kid will be a bust.

Keep hearing how he has talent thru the roof but in a weird way thats what scares me the most.
Keep thinking back to my ice hockey days. Was on a team with 2 very good, talented guys. One of them played in the minor leagues.
He was a blast to be on the same ice with. Unselfish with the puck. A real "team" guy.
The other guy? Was all about him. Never passed the puck. Wanted to do it all himself. And if he didnt have the puck, he was banging his stick on the ice (letting you know he wanted the puck). Hated being on the ice with him.

That's how i see CW. Uber-talented, but that "all about him" attitide i fear will wear thin. Quickly.

Last edited:

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caleb Williams

Keep hearing how he has talent thru the roof but in a weird way thats what scares me the most.
Keep thinking back to my ice hockey days. Was on a team with 2 very good, talented guys. One of them played in the minor leagues.
He was a blast to be on the same ice with. Unselfish with the puck. A real "team" guy.
The other guy? Was all about him. Never passed the puck. Wanted to do it all himself. And if he didnt have the puck, he was banging his stick on the ice (letting you know he wanted the puck). Hated being on the ice with him.

That's how i see CW. Uber-talented, but that "all about him" attitide i fear will wear thin. Quickly.

I agree with you totally Joe. He might end up being a generational talent, but I won't be rooting for him. The last quarterback I can remember disliking this much coming from college was Manziel.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you totally Joe. He might end up being a generational talent, but I won't be rooting for him. The last quarterback I can remember disliking this much coming from college was Manziel.
Has anyone watched the Manziel documentary on HBO? I need to get around to that, it sounds fascinating.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caleb Williams

i would hate it as well... selfish idiot :hockeysmile:

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone watched the Manziel documentary on HBO? I need to get around to that, it sounds fascinating.

watch it, it was great

so crazy some of the stuff he was doing, absolute zero film study, zero game planning, just go out there on saturday and sling it or run for your life then sling it

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watch it, it was great

so crazy some of the stuff he was doing, absolute zero film study, zero game planning, just go out there on saturday and sling it or run for your life then sling it
So basically doing what many of us did in the schoolyard as kids.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Manziel is what is scary about Caleb Williams too. How does a guy with zero film study end up as a first round pick (22nd)?

Hopefully the Bears are asking these kind of questions. Does he spend more time in Men's Warehouse than in the film room?

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Manziel is what is scary about Caleb Williams too. How does a guy with zero film study end up as a first round pick (22nd)?

Hopefully the Bears are asking these kind of questions. Does he spend more time in Men's Warehouse than in the film room?

maybe the Bears will surprise everyone and trade back 2-3 spots and not get Caleb?

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe the Bears will surprise everyone and trade back 2-3 spots and not get Caleb?
I would be on board with this.

But Caleb Williams as bust potential isnt the only issue. I get that the Bears are a laughing stock (i.e. bad coaching hires, moving up to pick Trubisky, and then there's the decades of futility at QB), what effect would blowing this decision have?

2 years in a row we had the #1 pick. Still dont have even an average QB. To NOT get this right would be epically horrible.

Last edited:

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But Caleb Williams as bust potential isnt the only issue. I get that the Bears are a laughing stock (i.e. bad coaching hires, moving up to pick Trubisky, and then there's the decades of futility at QB), what effect would blowing this decision have?

2 years in a row we had the #1 pick. Still dont have even an average QB. To NOT get this right would be epically horrible.
At least ya have Bedard :dhd:

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A couple of things...

First, from a GM's perspective, just taking Caleb Williams is the least risky thing to do. If he's a bust, well, he was the consensus #1, these things happen. And he likely won't truly be an outright bust. He could break the Bears rookie passing records pretty easily, for example. On the other hand if he goes someplace else and blows up, the GM is screwed.

But from the team's perspective, just taking Caleb Williams is the most risky thing to do. Less risky to trade with a team who overvalues him (say Washington?) and end up with a higher value, spread over more players.

So the calculus for the team and the calculus for the GM are not aligned, as is often the case. Many NFL GMs live in this weird state where they're trusted to make franchise-altering decisions, but not trusted enough to be guaranteed say a five-year tenure.

I don't think Chicago needs a high-flying QB to win a superbowl. The Windy City, the City of Broad Shoulders. But I think they'll take him, and I think he'll fly a little lower than he would have elsewhere.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of things...

First, from a GM's perspective, just taking Caleb Williams is the least risky thing to do. If he's a bust, well, he was the consensus #1, these things happen. And he likely won't truly be an outright bust. He could break the Bears rookie passing records pretty easily, for example. On the other hand if he goes someplace else and blows up, the GM is screwed.

But from the team's perspective, just taking Caleb Williams is the most risky thing to do. Less risky to trade with a team who overvalues him (say Washington?) and end up with a higher value, spread over more players.

So the calculus for the team and the calculus for the GM are not aligned, as is often the case. Many NFL GMs live in this weird state where they're trusted to make franchise-altering decisions, but not trusted enough to be guaranteed say a five-year tenure.

I don't think Chicago needs a high-flying QB to win a superbowl. The Windy City, the City of Broad Shoulders. But I think they'll take him, and I think he'll fly a little lower than he would have elsewhere.
They gave Fields away. I still think they should've kept him and drafted Harrison Jr. If Marvin is as good as people think, he and DJ Moore would potentially give Fields a killer combo to throw to.

Why they tried to make Fields a running QB, I'll never understand. It was not his forte in college and every time I saw the guy take off, I cringed and thought "this guy's gonna get killed doing this."