• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Complete collapse of my game. Help.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that my game had that far to fall to be considered a collapse but it has. The last several years I have not been able to get out much and now that I have been playing regularly, that bill has come due.

I have to get to basics. That said, I'm looking for a simple swing trainer that maybe you guys have some experience with. A perfect example is the towel under the arms. I'm going to try that one at the range this weekend. I want to keep it simple and don't want to go down the road of any swing analyzers just yet.

Thanks

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go to YouTube and type in Rotary Golf. I have regressed since I've only played one 18 hole round on my own ball since 2010. I play in a league every other week in the summer and that's all I play. Recently I've decided I was going to get good again and practice. I've always struggled with a flat golf swing and too level of a shoulder turn. Every fucking nut job teacher out there talks about manipulating the hands in the take away to get the golf club in a good position. I started googling stuff Saturday night and stumbled upon this guy. Watch the posture clip and takeaway clip. I took this shit to the range (granted we are all range pros) on Sunday and hit it great. I woke up Monday and I was sore everywhere because I've never been in these positions before. The guy is a former mini tour player and has all these studies to back up his theory of the golf swing. I can't wait to play again to see how it translates on the golf course but the move is so simple I don't see how it can fail.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought process after addressing the golf ball with a proper stance and club grip...

Bring the club up on an outside plane and at the top of the swing plane DROP THE CLUB to the inside and rotate thru the golf ball at impact.

Try that on the driving range, you should start to see a "draw". Helps keep your back elbow tight to your body thru impact as well.

GL2U

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that my game had that far to fall to be considered a collapse but it has. The last several years I have not been able to get out much and now that I have been playing regularly, that bill has come due.

I have to get to basics. That said, I'm looking for a simple swing trainer that maybe you guys have some experience with. A perfect example is the towel under the arms. I'm going to try that one at the range this weekend. I want to keep it simple and don't want to go down the road of any swing analyzers just yet.

Thanks

What is the ball doing? If you have a 1 sided miss...the fix is probably something simple...if you missing to both sides...that can really screw around with your head b/c you have no clue where the ball is going to go.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Striking the ball consistently is the most important thing. Honestly people get too caught up in trying to draw or fade the ball and too worried about their ball flight. It really doesnt matter what your natural swing produces as to ball action. The most important thing is that you are hitting the ball consistently. You can adapt your game based off of that. I used to worry a lot about the fact that I play a pretty big fade but as soon as I realized that I hit it the same every time I became less concerned/ Clearly it is nice to be able to make the ball do what you want to but MOST people arent of that caliber so dont worry about it if you cant play a draw or a fade. Just focus on striking the ball the same way every time and youll be fine. If you get to deep into swing mechanics you are just going to cross yourself up and have NO IDEA where the ball is going. to

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Striking the ball consistently is the most important thing. Honestly people get too caught up in trying to draw or fade the ball and too worried about their ball flight. It really doesnt matter what your natural swing produces as to ball action. The most important thing is that you are hitting the ball consistently. You can adapt your game based off of that. I used to worry a lot about the fact that I play a pretty big fade but as soon as I realized that I hit it the same every time I became less concerned/ Clearly it is nice to be able to make the ball do what you want to but MOST people arent of that caliber so dont worry about it if you cant play a draw or a fade. Just focus on striking the ball the same way every time and youll be fine. If you get to deep into swing mechanics you are just going to cross yourself up and have NO IDEA where the ball is going. to

There you go...that's why I asked what was the ball doing...I don't think you can play decent golf (80s to 90s) with a slice or a hook, but if the ball does the same thing most of the time, the fix is normally not that hard. You can turn that flight into something you can manage your way around the course.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have seen in my game and most others...an "over-the top" swing plane, results in a lot of short right shots IF your a right-handed playa.

The golf club swing plane is the most important thought process in my OP.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can play golf with an OTT swing...a few guys on tour do actually, Brendon DeJorge for sure...(most of us have that fault)...the last lesson I had was about 8 yrs ago now...focus was improving my impact position.

My draw turned into an OTT...left to left ball...fix was simple but took a LOT of practice swings (most without hitting a ball) to finally get my lower body to initiate the downswing and let the arms slightly drop in the slot while maintaining the wrist angle (lag), then turn my torso thru the shot...I play with a +3 deg closed face driver thus hit a draw...if I need to fade it, I just open the face a tad at address..same swing.

Tempo is what I fight the most nowadays.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go to YouTube and type in Rotary Golf. I have regressed since I've only played one 18 hole round on my own ball since 2010. I play in a league every other week in the summer and that's all I play. Recently I've decided I was going to get good again and practice. I've always struggled with a flat golf swing and too level of a shoulder turn. Every fucking nut job teacher out there talks about manipulating the hands in the take away to get the golf club in a good position. I started googling stuff Saturday night and stumbled upon this guy. Watch the posture clip and takeaway clip. I took this shit to the range (granted we are all range pros) on Sunday and hit it great. I woke up Monday and I was sore everywhere because I've never been in these positions before. The guy is a former mini tour player and has all these studies to back up his theory of the golf swing. I can't wait to play again to see how it translates on the golf course but the move is so simple I don't see how it can fail.

Nice find. There is a lot there to digest.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the ball doing? If you have a 1 sided miss...the fix is probably something simple...if you missing to both sides...that can really screw around with your head b/c you have no clue where the ball is going to go.

There is the rub. My swing was fairly imperfect to begin with. I don't want to spend any time correcting this swing. I just as soon start over ...and trust me, if you saw my swing you would agree.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice find. There is a lot there to digest.

To be honest it's only about 4 moves in total. If you can get the club in the correct position at the top without manipulating it there that's 90% of the golf swing. I've played for 30 years, 21 of those years competively and I've got lessons from Leadbetter, Ballard and O'Grady so I've always had a good understanding of the golf swing and where the club needs to be I just could never get it there without putting it there.

1. Move the club back with your right shoulder blade
2. Turn your shoulders back
3. The right arm folds (this sets the club not the hands!)
4. Let your athletic ability bring the club down

The tricky part is never moving your hands. My only swing thought from now on is this. I was actually extremely close to this when I played the minis the problem was I never knew it. Just go to the range some night and focus on the takeaway and no hand movement, I guarantee you will immediately see results

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest it's only about 4 moves in total. If you can get the club in the correct position at the top without manipulating it there that's 90% of the golf swing. I've played for 30 years, 21 of those years competively and I've got lessons from Leadbetter, Ballard and O'Grady so I've always had a good understanding of the golf swing and where the club needs to be I just could never get it there without putting it there.

1. Move the club back with your right shoulder blade
2. Turn your shoulders back
3. The right arm folds (this sets the club not the hands!)
4. Let your athletic ability bring the club down

The tricky part is never moving your hands. My only swing thought from now on is this. I was actually extremely close to this when I played the minis the problem was I never knew it. Just go to the range some night and focus on the takeaway and no hand movement, I guarantee you will immediately see results

Leadbetter!? Ok now you really have my attention. I will take a look at this. Excellent advice. Thanks.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leadbetter!? Ok now you really have my attention. I will take a look at this. Excellent advice. Thanks.

No prob. To be honest the best of those 3 was Ballard. Leadbetter is way too much manipulation of the club. If I had the dough I'd go see this rotary swing guy or Harmon. Just work on fundamentals and you will be fine

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is the rub. My swing was fairly imperfect to begin with. I don't want to spend any time correcting this swing. I just as soon start over ...and trust me, if you saw my swing you would agree.

Okay...Maybe time for that overall then.

I started with lesson from day one, so I was a blank canvas so to speak...I still couldn't score worth a damn, but at least had good base fundementals, grip, & posture...most really bad swings I've played with recently I could help them with those two things.

Last weekend was not different...this guy was very deliberate in his preshot routine, but he would get into an address position that was kind of like a LB pre-snap...he couldn't make a should turn and keep his head from moving up and down a lot...he topped it mostly...then he would make an exaggerated effort to stay down and he'd badly chunk it...he would eventually get in the I don't give a F mode and hit a great shot!!...i.e. he wouldn't do his preshot routine and as a result stood much taller to the ball, and wack! Bottom line was much better posture! It hurt to watch him struggle for 18 holes...doubtful he broke 120, but he hit just enough good shots that he will be back I'm sure.

Now...even w/o seeing it I'm sure you're not THAT bad...some people can learn from a book, or video...I needed that trained set of eyes on me in addition to video.

In either case...good luck with it.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have someone video tape your swing on your phone. 2 angles: 1) Directly down the line, and 2) From directly in front of you. All I need is one of each.

Post it on here and I'll give it a look.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't overthink this... All of the Hawkeyes that have posted in this thread definitely know what they are talking about however, I'm fairly certain their games are on a different level...

I need more info on the OP. What part exactly (in detail) is the issue?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1) Is your miss right or left?
2) Let's say it's right (for example) - then is it starting right and staying on that line, or is it starting straight and curving right, or is it starting left and curving right? (Same questions if it is left).
3) Is your contact miss heavy or thin?
4) If heavy, is it such as you are somewhat drop-kicking the ball (ground and then ball); or is it such that you are digging/chopping straight down?

Gotta know what the issue is before you can jump to a blanket drill. If you post answers or quick vids of your swing I can probably help.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for all of the feedback but I need several trips to the range and get the fundamentals back in order. There is no point in giving you feed back on ball flight with this swing, that would be putting perfume on a pig.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read The Only Golf Lesson You'll Ever Need by Hank Haney. It will help you understand your shot's shape in certain ways which will allow you to adjust based on what you're doing wrong. It's a quick read but I would suggest getting through it a few times so you know these characteristics inside and out.

Last edited by a moderator: