• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comp. picks anyone?

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What is the situation with comp. picks this year, anyone got a handle on likely additional picks, if any? thanks

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I had thought that comp picks didn't take into account guys on one-year deals, so we might stand to gain a few. Our FA acquisitions on more than one-year deals were Goodwin and Whitner. Pretty sure that's it. We lost Baas, Lawson, Franklin, Spikes, and Laboy to multi-year deals. If one-year deals count, we're probably SOL.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not worried too much about comp. picks because I feel like we don't really need them.

IMHO we need to add a few quality draft picks not quantity at this point. Assuming we can re-sign the key free agents we have.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Maniax, I totally get your point but because I feel as if we FINALLY have a coaching staff that can actually develop draft picks, I am excited to see them pick and continue to develop these picks into contributing members of our team.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
comp picks could be huge especially since we could use some depth on the defensive line. not to mention u can pick up some solid special team guys with those extra picks.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Didn't we already basically get a comp. pick for Taylor Mays? (7th rounder)

:-)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think comp picks are always potentially big. Ray Mac was a comp pick after all, albeit a third-rounder. We need to constantly groom young guys, no matter how good our depth seems right now. That's one of the things that really sets GB apart IMO.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I had thought that comp picks didn't take into account guys on one-year deals, so we might stand to gain a few. Our FA acquisitions on more than one-year deals were Goodwin and Whitner. Pretty sure that's it. We lost Baas, Lawson, Franklin, Spikes, and Laboy to multi-year deals. If one-year deals count, we're probably SOL.

Lawson signed a 1 year deal

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

I'm not sure what makes players a qualifying free agent. Do the guys who played here last year and re-signed count as free agents still?? They were on the market, but the 49ers got them back.

Rogers and Goldson made the Pro Bowl, Smith may get the comeback player of the year(Postseason honors). Whitner, Goodwin and Ray McDonald got multiyear deals all around 3.5-to-4 million a year. These are just the starters, Costanzo is an alternate for the probowl, right? Does he add to the 49ers free agent success by being a special teams standout??

Comparing that to Spikes who got a 3 year 9 million deal, Clements got 2 year 10.5 million, Lawson got 1 year 3 million, Franklin signed a 1 year 4 million. I don't think any of these guys made a huge splash with their new teams, definitely didn't earn any postseason honors.

If it is a contest of how the guys the 49ers brought in performed in comparison to the guys the 49ers lost. I wouldn't expect any picks to come the 49ers way considering that the guys who were added by the 49ers have mostly done well and have us saying Baalke deserves some love in the Executive of the Year voting.