• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Commanders vs. Giants Game 1 2023

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF contributed 13 of the 34 sacks to Sam Howell (38%)He also accounted for 21 of the 87 QB pressures (24%)Do not confuse that better Offensive Lineman would vastly improve BOTH these stats Cuz 76% of the pressures & 62% of sacks are just poor blocking
Not sure that’s right. I heard pff credited 20/34 to Howell. Also heard PFF ranks this OL 8th in pass block win rate

Last edited:

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure that’s right. I heard pff credited 20/34 to Howell. Also heard PFF ranks this OL 8th in pass block win rate

The OL is being scapegoated for the Howells sacks which isn't fair. Sure, the oline needs to improve but I knew it wasn't as bad as these posters here make it out to be. Nice post.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OL is being scapegoated for the Howells sacks which isn't fair. Sure, the oline needs to improve but I knew it wasn't as bad as these posters here make it out to be. Nice post.
Give me a f'n break Dean, this line sucks arse! Completely! The sacks will diminish when personnel change to competent blocking linemen. Let's not forget, most of the OL have 3+ years of experience except Charles. Howell will play in his 8th regular season NFL game this weekend. I believe its up to his OC and his linemen to give Howell the best chance to succeed, not the other way around. Howell is doing a great job given his starting experience. No one is scapegoating anyone, simply asking to just, "Do your job"!!!

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logan Paulsen agrees closer to you post. Wink Martindale is 2nd in the NFL in sending pressure. Paulsen thinks he may come with more 4 more pressures but drop guys from odd spots to in an effort to cconfuse Sam.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me a f'n break Dean, this line sucks arse! Completely! The sacks will diminish when personnel change to competent blocking linemen. Let's not forget, most of the OL have 3+ years of experience except Charles. Howell will play in his 8th regular season NFL game this weekend. I believe its up to his OC and his linemen to give Howell the best chance to succeed, not the other way around. Howell is doing a great job given his starting experience. No one is scapegoating anyone, simply asking to just, "Do your job"!!!

I dont think it's as bad as you make it out to be. Is it good? no. The sacks will diminish when Howell stop holding the ball for too long and the oline plays better. I agree this line has had some bad games. Wylie hasn't looked good at all. Cosmi had to move into a new position which is working out. gates and Wylie are new. Leno is the only left over. Plus, they are all playing in a brand-new offense except for Wylie.

I agree Howell is doing a good job in his 7 games in the NFL. What personnel changes do you want to see on the oline this year? Do you want Lucas in the starting lineup?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think it's as bad as you make it out to be. Is it good? no. The sacks will diminish when Howell stop holding the ball for too long and the oline plays better. I agree this line has had some bad games. Wylie hasn't looked good at all. Cosmi had to move into a new position which is working out. gates and Wylie are new. Leno is the only left over. Plus, they are all playing in a brand-new offense except for Wylie.

I agree Howell is doing a good job in his 7 games in the NFL. What personnel changes do you want to see on the oline this year? Do you want Lucas in the starting lineup?
The OLine is awful Dean and you are again trying to prop up the team for anyone who doesn't believe this team is going to the playoffs. Rivera isn't as bad as the board thinks, the team isn't as bad as the board thinks, Forbes isn't as bad as the board thinks, Wentz wasn't as bad as the board thinks, Turner isn't as bad as the board thinks and now.....the OLine isn't as bad as the board thinks.

Tell me, WHAT is as bad as the board thinks?

I seriously don't think you watch the games and IF you do...you don't understand what you are watching. You once called Trent Williams over-rated and Jon Bostic as doing an "ok" job.

The running game is below average because the blocking and holes aren't there. Howell constantly has defenders in his face and the running game is poor as BRob runs into brick walls more than not. Yes, the OLine is as bad as people are saying. I can't believe you are now making an arguement that it isn't. You are simply being dishonest if you don't think the OLine is not poor and a major concern. It can improve and Howell can get rid of the ball quicker...BUT, the fact as of right now is that the OLine is bad.

PFF isn't the gospel when it comes to ranking players and units. It is helpful and there is good information there BUT it isn't the end all be all.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OLine is awful Dean and you are again trying to prop up the team for anyone who doesn't believe this team is going to the playoffs. Rivera isn't as bad as the board thinks, the team isn't as bad as the board thinks, Forbes isn't as bad as the board thinks, Wentz wasn't as bad as the board thinks, Turner isn't as bad as the board thinks and now.....the OLine isn't as bad as the board thinks.

Tell me, WHAT is as bad as the board thinks?

I seriously don't think you watch the games and IF you do...you don't understand what you are watching. You once called Trent Williams over-rated and Jon Bostic as doing an "ok" job.

The running game is below average because the blocking and holes aren't there. Howell constantly has defenders in his face and the running game is poor as BRob runs into brick walls more than not. Yes, the OLine is as bad as people are saying. I can't believe you are now making an arguement that it isn't. You are simply being dishonest if you don't think the OLine is not poor and a major concern. It can improve and Howell can get rid of the ball quicker...BUT, the fact as of right now is that the OLine is bad.

PFF isn't the gospel when it comes to ranking players and units. It is helpful and there is good information there BUT it isn't the end all be all.

Never said the Oline was good. Of course, it's a concern. You can't point to the sack number and say it's all on the oline. That is not true. That is what im saying,

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The o/ line is below avg

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said the Oline was good. Of course, it's a concern. You can't point to the sack number and say it's all on the oline. That is not true. That is what im saying,
I agree with you...the sacks are NOT all on the OLine.

The OLine CAN and MUST improve. I think it will improve but more talent is needed.

The running game is also suffering. EB needs to show more balance BUT more than not, the running game has not been what it needs to be. Is it the fault of the OLine or BRob?

We are 26th in rushing right now...again...the playcalling does contribute to that AND BRob isn't Barry Sanders. However, the blocking and holes are just not there so far.

Also, Howell is facing constant pressure and has little time to throw. The OLine is causing a lot of problems right now with the offense.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you...the sacks are NOT all on the OLine.

The OLine CAN and MUST improve. I think it will improve but more talent is needed.

The running game is also suffering. EB needs to show more balance BUT more than not, the running game has not been what it needs to be. Is it the fault of the OLine or BRob?

We are 26th in rushing right now...again...the playcalling does contribute to that AND BRob isn't Barry Sanders. However, the blocking and holes are just not there so far.

Also, Howell is facing constant pressure and has little time to throw. The OLine is causing a lot of problems right now with the offense.

im not disputing that at all. I was pointing to the sack total. What would you do to the current oline? Who would you start on Sunday?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not disputing that at all. I was pointing to the sack total. What would you do to the current oline? Who would you start on Sunday?
Agree on the sack total with you.

Dean, I think this has to be addressed in the offseason sir.

If it be Rivera or a new GM....somebody needs to use high draft picks to bolster the OLine. Skinsdad posted something that was telling...I think this organization has used only 3 first round picks on OLine help in 25 years? PLEASE re-post that Skinsdad or correct me if I am wrong...somebody.

I can think of Samuels, TWilliams, and Scheriff. Jansen was fantastic as a Round 2 pick.

I think it is a talent issue but that is my opinion. I believe the OLine is the most important unit on the field...again my opinion.

The team cannot use every draft pick on OLine NOR can they simply sign free agents to do the job. It just be a combo of both; however, the lack of high round draft picks NOT being used on OLine needs to stop. I would strongly think of using Round 1 and Round 2 on OLine...but the board dictates the draft as we all know.

For this year, I am not sure a lot can be done to address the problem. Wylie was a mistake. Maybe start Lucas over Wylie. Not sure that is the answer either.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on the sack total with you.

Dean, I think this has to be addressed in the offseason sir.

If it be Rivera or a new GM....somebody needs to use high draft picks to bolster the OLine. Skinsdad posted something that was telling...I think this organization has used only 3 first round picks on OLine help in 25 years? PLEASE re-post that Skinsdad or correct me if I am wrong...somebody.

I can think of Samuels, TWilliams, and Scheriff. Jansen was fantastic as a Round 2 pick.

I think it is a talent issue but that is my opinion. I believe the OLine is the most important unit on the field...again my opinion.

The team cannot use every draft pick on OLine NOR can they simply sign free agents to do the job. It just be a combo of both; however, the lack of high round draft picks NOT being used on OLine needs to stop. I would strongly think of using Round 1 and Round 2 on OLine...but the board dictates the draft as we all know.

For this year, I am not sure a lot can be done to address the problem. Wylie was a mistake. Maybe start Lucas over Wylie. Not sure that is the answer either.

I understand it needs to be addressed in the offseason. This oline will always give up sacks this year. Sometimes the oline gives ample time for Howell but Howell holds the ball too long and it becomes a sack. If Howell can correct that and the oline plays better the sack number should go down. Plus Eb is pass happy i agree with you there. Also, if we get down by alot early, that doesn't help either. Lucas deserves to be looked at in the starting lineup he had a great game last week.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand it needs to be addressed in the offseason. This oline will always give up sacks this year. Sometimes the oline gives ample time for Howell but Howell holds the ball too long and it becomes a sack. If Howell can correct that and the oline plays better the sack number should go down. Plus Eb is pass happy i agree with you there. Also, if we get down by alot early, that doesn't help either. Lucas deserves to be looked at in the starting lineup he had a great game last week.
Howell not only holds the ball too long, he also steps into sacks. Needs better pocket awareness. I’m not down on Howell though, he has potential. He’s just gotta improve his sack rate. Can’t win against good teams like that. I also blame EB too

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, quoted my starting 5 in another response. I get it, were in season, you only have so many linemen, you paid Wylie like an all pro, your limited. That's the kruk, as currently assembled, its very bad but it is what it is. I'll quit beating the drum here.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howell not only holds the ball too long, he also steps into sacks. Needs better pocket awareness. I’m not down on Howell though, he has potential. He’s just gotta improve his sack rate. Can’t win against good teams like that. I also blame EB too
I agree with this.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2. Washington Commanders​

The Washington Commanders have overcome a permeable defense and an inconsistent young quarterback to emerge as legitimate wild card contenders early in the season. Ron Rivera's squad is 3-3, and while the top of the division is unattainable due to Philadelphia and Dallas, we saw the NFC East steal three postseason slots last year.

Eric Bieniemy is a highly-touted offensive coordinator who has the Commanders showing serious upside despite Sam Howell's youth and a spotty collection of receivers. There is serious talent on the pass-catching front — Terry McLaurin has flashed WR1 upside and Curtis Samuel is perennially solid — but the Commanders rank in the NFL's bottom third in receiving yards. McLaurin has taken a step back compared to last season and the Commanders have 214 drops as a team across six games.

Still, Howell can sling it up field and the Commanders feel like a team on the precipice of genuinely good offense. Michael Thomas would bolster the WR room in a big way, taking pressure off of McLaurin and Samuel while giving Howell a 6-foot-3 end zone and deep-ball target.

Thomas has been a paragon of consistency for the majority of his career. It would take time to adjust to a new system, but Bieniemy is historically wideout-friendly. Howell's inconsistency is a hindrance, but he's also a talented young QB who would benefit from a route-runner and pass-catcher with Thomas' cachet. The better the weapons, the better the QB. Thomas could cement the Commanders as a genuine postseason aspirant.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree but its not the main reason why the sack total is so high.

The OL is 100% why the sack total is so high. Even if we go with PFF 38%, the OL has given up 20 sacks.

Those 20 sacks would still be among the five worst teams in the NFL, and that doesn’t include sacks caused by other teams QBs.