• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

commanders off season thread 2023

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tag and trade, maybe.

No sense letting him walk for a comp pick, if you can do better than a third rounder.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tag and trade, maybe.

No sense letting him walk for a comp pick, if you can do better than a third rounder.
I buys them time to find his replacement. Ron is on the hottest of hot seats and wants all hands on deck.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's comforting to know we are gonna have Payne in the lineup next year. I get the argument to trade him or let him walk, I do, but I want to see what all four look like for 17 games next year.

I'm hoping the tag buys time to get a deal done this summer and not just kicking the can down the road to 24.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade value sucks when you are about to hit free agency. I hope they tag Daron.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which one do they use on Payne exclusive or non exclusive
Haven't heard yet. I'm assuming exclusive. Standing did mention in the article that a tag and trade could be a consideration. Said multiple teams interested.

Just a guess on my part. I can't figure it out.

On one hand you have to think Ron wants to go all in this year to save his job. Hires the big name OC and tags Daron to have him for this year.

On the other hand he goes with Howell who Ron didn't even want to start in a meaningless game.

Wants to be 2 to 1 run and then hires a pass first OC.

Ron is all over the place. Trying to guess his next move or long-term plan is futile imo.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not against using the tag . it buys time . time is what we need to see what mathis is about or we go down the o/line rabbit hole . dont turn strengths into weaknesses unless you know what you are replacing them with . i doubt we have seen enough of ridgeway and mathis to think they will combine for more then 5 sacks
If the plan outside of a new contract is tagging him then they MUST use the non-exclusive tag. The team will surely lose him but there's compensation in the form of two-first round draft choices.

There's at least one team that has publicly stated a desire to target him during the offseason... surprise!!!

Chicago Bears target Daron Payne wants a big payday in 2023

www.chicitysports.com/top-chicago-bears-free-agent-target-admits-he-wants-a-big-payday/
www.chicitysports.com/top-chicago-bears-free-agent-target-admits-he-wants-a-…

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't heard yet. I'm assuming exclusive. Standing did mention in the article that a tag and trade could be a consideration. Said multiple teams interested.

Just a guess on my part. I can't figure it out.

On one hand you have to think Ron wants to go all in this year to save his job. Hires the big name OC and tags Daron to have him for this year.

On the other hand he goes with Howell who Ron didn't even want to start in a meaningless game.

Wants to be 2 to 1 run and then hires a pass first OC.

Ron is all over the place. Trying to guess his next move or long-term plan is futile imo.
It absolutely has to be the Non-exclusive tag!

The exclusive tag limits negotiations to our team but it is the highest G money of the two. It’s a one-year offer of the average of the top five salaries at the position for the current year, or 120% of his previous salary, whichever is greater.

The non-exclusive tag totaling $18.937 million this year means that he can negotiate with and sign a contract proposal with another team. Washington will have a set amount of time to match that offer. They then have the option of matching that offer and signing him themselves to that proposed contract OR letting him go knowing that they get two first-round draft picks for him. Their (the new team's) first this year and their first next year!

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It absolutely has to be the Non-exclusive tag!

The exclusive tag limits negotiations to our team but it is the highest G money of the two. It’s a one-year offer of the average of the top five salaries at the position for the current year, or 120% of his previous salary, whichever is greater.

The non-exclusive tag totaling $18.937 million this year means that he can negotiate with and sign a contract proposal with another team. Washington will have a set amount of time to match that offer. They then have the option of matching that offer and signing him themselves to that proposed contract OR letting him go knowing that they get two first-round draft picks for him. Their (the new team's) first this year and their first next year!
Does Ron care about a 1st rounder that he may not even be around to use? Could be wrong, definitely wouldn't be the first time, but Ron is trying to save his job and probably thinks he has a better chance to do that with Payne than en extra 1st rounder in 24.

Now if they pull off a Payne, Samuel, #1 in 23 and 24 for Lamar, different story. Gotta think if Lamar is moved it will be to the NFC.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Ron care about a 1st rounder that he may not even be around to use? Could be wrong, definitely wouldn't be the first time, but Ron is trying to save his job and probably thinks he has a better chance to do that with Payne than en extra 1st rounder in 24.

Now if they pull off a Payne, Samuel, #1 in 23 and 24 for Lamar, different story. Gotta think if Lamar is moved it will be to the NFC.
It isn't very reassuring to see Ron Rivera and his Carolina connections still employed in Washington.
I believe that if he goes undefeated through the SB, of course, it won't happen, but using that hypothetical, I am convinced that Rivera won't keep the job. In much more straightforward language, I don't think that there's anything that Rivera can do to hold on to the job if the team is sold.

He will go through the motions, however, in order to present the team in a more favorable light under his stewardship. Perhaps he'll make the move to get Jackson but make no mistake, he has to figure out a way to keep Payne or get maximum value for him.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team offered a 1st I would take it and run otherwise need a 2nd or 2 if not just keep him
A first in this year's draft would be temping. Two first in this draft and 19m to play with. Not sure what I would do.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team offered a 1st I would take it and run otherwise need a 2nd or 2 if not just keep him
That is why you put him on the non-exclusive tag. I'm not sure about full-on bites but there will be nibblers, a few curious window shoppers, and perhaps a few inquiries. You can't play the game if you're too afraid to get into it.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A first in this year's draft would be temping. Two first in this draft and 19m to play with. Not sure what I would do.
If we were smart and we decided to gamble Mathis can play I would take next yrs #1 and other draft capitol because then you would have trade capital for a qb in 24

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash