• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

commanders off season thread 2023

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Powers from BLT if they can get him.
We will need more than just Ben Powers. A minimum of 3 new OLineman will be needed. 4 would be ideal but that isn't gonna happen.
2 via free agency should not be difficult and 1 in the draft is easy. Rivera will simply have to commit to building the offense correctly. He will have to fight his tendency to prioritize defense.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will need more than just Ben Powers. A minimum of 3 new OLineman will be needed. 4 would be ideal but that isn't gonna happen.
2 via free agency should not be difficult and 1 in the draft is easy. Rivera will simply have to commit to building the offense correctly. He will have to fight his tendency to prioritize defense.
LT Skoronski 16
LG Powers FA
C Schmitz 47
RG Cosmi
RT Leno Restructure

I could live with that. That is a huge upgrade from

Leno
Norwell
Martin
Turner
Lucas III

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You prioritize draft picks with rookie contracts where you can over more costly FAs.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT Skoronski 16
LG Powers FA
C Schmitz 47
RG Cosmi
RT Leno Restructure

I could live with that. That is a huge upgrade from

Leno
Norwell
Martin
Turner
Lucas III

thats nice, I have seen Skoronski fall on some mock drafts. Schmitz in the 2nd round would be huge but I dont think he will be there when we pick.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thats nice, I have seen Skoronski fall on some mock drafts. Schmitz in the 2nd round would be huge but I dont think he will be there when we pick.
If they can grab a LT after a trade down that would be ideal. TE might need to be taken in the 2nd instead of center.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not sure how much we will do in fa without stable ownership in place .

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

According to Pro Football Focus, the Commanders’ offensive line ranked 26th in pass blocking (grade 61.7) and 23rd in run blocking (grade 55.6) in 2022. These figures represent a 22-place drop in the league rankings for pass blocking from 2021 (rank 4th, grade 78.3) and a 17-place drop in run block ranking (2021 rank 6th, grade 80.2).. This is what happens when you give up all pro players and replace them with avg to save buck

When given the opportunity to start in Week 7, Heinicke demonstrated that he was no worse than the trade-acquired starter, and in many respects was better.

In 9 starts for Washington, Heinicke achieved a 62.2% completion rate, 206.6 yards per game, 6.18 net yards per attempt, a touchdown percentage rate of 4.6%, interception rate of 2.3% and sack rate of 6.8%. Heinicke did this while facing the second highest pressure rate (27.7%) among NFL QBs with 6 or more starts, due in large part to the regression of the OL. Heinicke also had an uncatchable throw rate of 16.7% (NFL rank 11) and finished the season with a Total QBR of 44.5 (NFL rank 25).
While fumbling had been the topic of the offseason in the RB room, Robinson and Gibson both had only one fumble apiece in 2022., apparently AG solved that part of his game

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i think we have to FT payne until we know about mathis .
What happens if Payne doesn't want to be here and wants to go to the highest bidder?

Do you see any negatives from that? Call me old school but I am not in favor of forcing a player to be here if they don't want to be. Again, tagging players here has never worked out.

If I am Rivera/Mayhew, I have an honest discuss with Payne and see what his intentions are and if he is open to coming back. I am sure the agent will give the standard answer of "of course we want to be here....at the right price". They could say "Nope, we want out" or "Yes, we want to be here if at all possible".

If Rivera/Mayhew make a reasonable, long term, market value offer that is beneficial for both parties and Payne says "no", I don't see the point of tagging him. I understand that thought that we don't know what we have in Mathis, but Payne has shown signs of not playing well with others. Do we really want someone here who doesn't want to be here and is irritated with the organization? Unless the goal is to tag and trade, I am not sure tagging Payne is wise if he literally wants out. Just my opinion. The man fought the other DT on our team and his father has trashed the organization to the media.

I think a DT is the least of our problems. He is a great player and I want him back, but blowing a third of our cap on a player who doesn't want to be here is not a plan we should pursue.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens if Payne doesn't want to be here and wants to go to the highest bidder?

Do you see any negatives from that? Call me old school but I am not in favor of forcing a player to be here if they don't want to be. Again, tagging players here has never worked out.

If I am Rivera/Mayhew, I have an honest discuss with Payne and see what his intentions are and if he is open to coming back. I am sure the agent will give the standard answer of "of course we want to be here....at the right price". They could say "Nope, we want out" or "Yes, we want to be here if at all possible".

If Rivera/Mayhew make a reasonable, long term, market value offer that is beneficial for both parties and Payne says "no", I don't see the point of tagging him. I understand that thought that we don't know what we have in Mathis, but Payne has shown signs of not playing well with others. Do we really want someone here who doesn't want to be here and is irritated with the organization? Unless the goal is to tag and trade, I am not sure tagging Payne is wise if he literally wants out. Just my opinion. The man fought the other DT on our team and his father has trashed the organization to the media.

I think a DT is the least of our problems. He is a great player and I want him back, but blowing a third of our cap on a player who doesn't want to be here is not a plan we should pursue.
what didnt work ? KC played very well on his tags and BS was an all pro

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what didnt work ? KC played very well on his tags and BS was an all pro
It didn't work out as a long term solution. We were simply putting on bandaids and overpaying for those bandaids.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't work out as a long term solution. We were simply putting on bandaids and overpaying for those bandaids.
they certainly could have if we played the game right and they are hardly band aids

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they certainly could have if we played the game right and they are hardly band aids
Again, we are talking about Bruce Allen and Ron Rivera here. Do we expect competent decisions made by either one of them? I didn't with Allen, and I don't with Rivera.

Bandaids as in temporary solutions....not a lasting, long-term solution. Both situations were handled poorly by our front office.

I am personally against the tag because I am against forcing players to play for a team they don't want to play for. If the tag is a bridge to a LTD, then great. However, all the information I have read indicates that Payne wants to be paid handsomely and I personally think he is out of our budget. That is my opinion.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, we are talking about Bruce Allen and Ron Rivera here. Do we expect competent decisions made by either one of them? I didn't with Allen, and I don't with Rivera.

Bandaids as in temporary solutions....not a lasting, long-term solution. Both situations were handled poorly by our front office.

I am personally against the tag because I am against forcing players to play for a team they don't want to play for. If the tag is a bridge to a LTD, then great. However, all the information I have read indicates that Payne wants to be paid handsomely and I personally think he is out of our budget. That is my opinion.
i am not against using the tag . it buys time . time is what we need to see what mathis is about or we go down the o/line rabbit hole . dont turn strengths into weaknesses unless you know what you are replacing them with . i doubt we have seen enough of ridgeway and mathis to think they will combine for more then 5 sacks

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not against using the tag . it buys time . time is what we need to see what mathis is about or we go down the o/line rabbit hole . dont turn strengths into weaknesses unless you know what you are replacing them with . i doubt we have seen enough of ridgeway and mathis to think they will combine for more then 5 sacks
It is a balancing act and in my opinion, this front office cannot do it.

I was against drafting 4 straight DLinemen in the draft with our 1st round pick. I am a fan of spreading the cap, draft picks, and talent over the field. Rivera has not really done that in my opinion.

Correct, we should not turn a strength into a weakness like we did with the OLine. I am not sure losing Payne turns the DLine into a weakness but I understand your point. I personally would rather weaken the DLine in order to bolster the OLine and LBs corps. The money to tag Payne would be better used to strengthen a bottom 5 OLine and the worst LB corp in the league.

If we do go corner in round 1, which does make some sense, we will again be pushing our high draft picks and cap toward the defense while neglecting the offense.

Outside of the Jets, I am not sure there is another team in the NFL that has a more unequal balance of offense and defensive talent in the league. We need to close that gap and it will take lots of cap space and draft picks to do that. How many OLine starters were 1st or high-round draft picks?

Charles Leno = 7th round
Andrew Norwell = UDFA
Chase Roullier = 6th round
Trai Turner = 3rd round
Sam Cosmi = 2nd round

As you know, we have 4 starters on the DLine all taken in the first round. I would like to see more cap and draft picks allocated to the OLine. I am not sure Rivera sees it that way obviously.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a balancing act and in my opinion, this front office cannot do it.

I was against drafting 4 straight DLinemen in the draft with our 1st round pick. I am a fan of spreading the cap, draft picks, and talent over the field. Rivera has not really done that in my opinion.

Correct, we should not turn a strength into a weakness like we did with the OLine. I am not sure losing Payne turns the DLine into a weakness but I understand your point. I personally would rather weaken the DLine in order to bolster the OLine and LBs corps. The money to tag Payne would be better used to strengthen a bottom 5 OLine and the worst LB corp in the league.

If we do go corner in round 1, which does make some sense, we will again be pushing our high draft picks and cap toward the defense while neglecting the offense.

Outside of the Jets, I am not sure there is another team in the NFL that has a more unequal balance of offense and defensive talent in the league. We need to close that gap and it will take lots of cap space and draft picks to do that. How many OLine starters were 1st or high-round draft picks?

Charles Leno = 7th round
Andrew Norwell = UDFA
Chase Roullier = 6th round
Trai Turner = 3rd round
Sam Cosmi = 2nd round

As you know, we have 4 starters on the DLine all taken in the first round. I would like to see more cap and draft picks allocated to the OLine. I am not sure Rivera sees it that way obviously.
I don’t see it as either /or situation . I see it as I keep my strength and add to my weaknesses by using the draft and finding out if Mathis can make up the production .

I don’t care about 41st rounders being used on the position . we run a 4-2-5, statistically our secondary performed well and we can pick a cb up or develop our guys

we can keep Payne and still address our needs

losing Payne doesn’t make the d/line a weakness but it eats up depth . If rigdeway or Mathis gets hurt then you have a steep drop off and what you based your defense on gets blown up

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see it as either /or situation . I see it as I keep my strength and add to my weaknesses by using the draft and finding out if Mathis can make up the production .

I don’t care about 41st rounders being used on the position . we run a 4-2-5, statistically our secondary performed well and we can pick a cb up or develop our guys

we can keep Payne and still address our needs

losing Payne doesn’t make the d/line a weakness but it eats up depth . If rigdeway or Mathis gets hurt then you have a steep drop off and what you based your defense on gets blown up
Understood.