• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Commanders News thread

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benefits of having a QB on a rookie contract. It's a game changer.
Very true .... they came close to paying top dollar for Cousins .... if I remember correctly his tag had to be equal to or greater than top 5 QBs.

Many are correct about a good GM or even just a good cap guy. The team should be able to keep some guys they want. You can't keep them all but a good GM keeps the right guys. Payne is one of the right guys. I do get it would be a shit ton of money for DTs. Sweat, who I was excited they drafted is okay/good but not outstanding. In his year and a half Young has been less than advertised. Jackson is a bust in this defense. I am forgetting some ....

I did not include Wentz because $28 million for a starting QB is not a shit ton these days. What they gave up for him was a lot. Of course I don't think he is the savior and I don't think TH is either. I also think calling the guy a failure after 6 weeks is laughable. He hasn't had a chance to really learn the offense aka maybe not the sharpest tool in the shed. As much as people were saying "told you so" when TH was 1 for 7 with a pick 6 I don't 100% agree with the Wentz haters.

Yes, having a QB for two or three years under a rookie contract is HUGE. Anyone who is good under there rookie contract is a huge bonus. To win in the NFL you have to have a good amount of guys under their rookie contract and then make the right decisions on who to pay.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once the Seahawks had to pay Russell they were done. It's taken the Cowboys about two years to rebuild that defense after paying Dak. They are gonna have to find a QB in the draft or see if Heinicke can hold it down until Howell is ready.

I stated in another thread that I'm not opposed to handing the ball back to Wentz if need be. Like you said, 28 is not a bunch of money and with a rebuilt offensive line I still think he can be good here.

I hate to say it, but I think Payne is gone. His.dad blew up the franchise on social media last year. They drafted a DT in the 2nd last year. Ron gave one of those "I'd like to think so" answers when asked if Payne would be back. Reminded me of they way he would respond to JP when he would ask him if Kyle Smith was coming back.

I do let Heinicke play his way out of the lineup.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once the Seahawks had to pay Russell they were done. It's taken the Cowboys about two years to rebuild that defense after paying Dak. They are gonna have to find a QB in the draft or see if Heinicke can hold it down until Howell is ready.

I stated in another thread that I'm not opposed to handing the ball back to Wentz if need be. Like you said, 28 is not a bunch of money and with a rebuilt offensive line I still think he can be good here.

I hate to say it, but I think Payne is gone. His.dad blew up the franchise on social media last year. They drafted a DT in the 2nd last year. Ron gave one of those "I'd like to think so" answers when asked if Payne would be back. Reminded me of they way he would respond to JP when he would ask him if Kyle Smith was coming back.

I do let Heinicke play his way out of the lineup.
If Payne walks the DT spot has been decimated because Mathis hasn't proved anything

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Payne walks the DT spot has been decimated because Mathis hasn't proved anything
I'll be just as upset with losing Payne as I would have been with losing McLaurin. Cousins, Trent, Scherff. At some point this kinda stuff has to stop if the team wants this fanbase to take them seriously and come back.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like him too but he is gone next year. He could take less to leave. you never know.
Uggh....he probably is gone. I don't think he wants to be here and it feels like they don't want him here. You may be right. Might want to get a pick while you can instead of settling for a glorified 4th round pick. (Comp 3rd)

I'm just pissed that we've gotten to this point. I don't see them moving him as Ron is in the process of trying to save his job. If Mathis were healthy, they might have.

Fingers crossed that he plays out of his mind down the stretch making them at the very least franchise him.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have the money to sign him if we want . I showed this last year when we had this debate but the issue is posters want their toys .
if the eagles can keep who they want then we can as well

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have the money to sign him if we want . I showed this last year when we had this debate but the issue is posters want their toys .
if the eagles can keep who they want then we can as well
If we have the money to franchise him, we definitely have the money to sign him. I question the "want to" after not extending him and drafting a guy at his position in the 2nd round.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tim settle has a grand total of two sacks in buffalo and 4 tackles.

Matt Ionnidis has a total of 15 tackes and 1 sack

Efe Obada has a total of 7 tackles (more than settle) and 3 sacks (more than both Settle and Ionnidis).

Toohill has seven tackles
Smith willimans has two sacks

It sure looks to me like the Commanders replaced settle and Ionnidis with capable players at a reduced rate

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt trade Payne with the way he’s playing.

Personally, I think they should’ve signed him to a LTD last year.

When Wentz is off the books, that should free up some cash to pay payne.

Gotta keep the homegrown talent to help chsnge the culture. Scary Terry was a good get, now its time to resign Payne AND Heinickie. That’s right - I said it! I hope Heinicke signs a long term deal to be a quality backup qb here in DC for the rest of his career.