• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy SILVER out of Calgary

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) still think they were insane to re-sign Backlund.

2) they have absolutely jack shit for prospects, their core is old and nobody wants to play there right now.

3) Not even sure Kadri’s all that untradeable. Still produces on a bad team, can fill a 2C role for at least another couple of years then his buyout hit is only $2.2 mil for a few years. If the Flames eat 20% of that I’m sure they could get something decent for him.

Not rebuilding because “we have Huberdeau and Kadri” is fucking insane.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Flames end up trading Tanev, Markstrom, and Hanifin (first two I am on board with, Hanifin I'm 50/50), that's going to be a pretty bad Flames team to see out this season and could end up picking in the 8-10 range. They may even flip Kuzmenko at this trade deadline instead of waiting a year, lots of puzzle pieces for Conroy to move around yet.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Flames end up trading Tanev, Markstrom, and Hanifin (first two I am on board with, Hanifin I'm 50/50), that's going to be a pretty bad Flames team to see out this season and could end up picking in the 8-10 range. They may even flip Kuzmenko at this trade deadline instead of waiting a year, lots of puzzle pieces for Conroy to move around yet.
They’re where Montreal was 5 years ago when they should’ve just scorched the earth but held on.

Difference is this time they won’t have a Canadian division and Carey Price to drag them to an unexpected final. Just cash it all in FFS.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They’re where Montreal was 5 years ago when they should’ve just scorched the earth but held on.

Difference is this time they won’t have a Canadian division and Carey Price to drag them to an unexpected final. Just cash it all in FFS.

I mean, all we need to do is to look 3 hours north of Calgary to see what an entrenched losing culture can do to young players. The only reason that team is any good now is because they lucked into McDavid. If you don't like the Edmonton example, then we can also look at Buffalo. Scorching the earth is no guarantee of success. That said, I agree that you do need to build through the draft and I think Conroy understands that as well. Let's get as many picks/prospects as we can with the UFA's and hope they pan out in a few years (just in time to play in the new arena).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, all we need to do is to look 3 hours north of Calgary to see what an entrenched losing culture can do to young players. The only reason that team is any good now is because they lucked into McDavid. If you don't like the Edmonton example, then we can also look at Buffalo. Scorching the earth is no guarantee of success. That said, I agree that you do need to build through the draft and I think Conroy understands that as well. Let's get as many picks/prospects as we can with the UFA's and hope they pan out in a few years (just in time to play in the new arena).
Not going scorched earth if they’re keeping any of Anderson, Sharangovich, Zary, Weegar, Kylington (if he’s still any good), Wolf. That’s more akin to what the Leafs did than Edmonton or Ottawa or Buffalo.

And those teams’ misfortunes had way more to do with god-awful management and, likely, owner meddling. If Conroy’s any good at this he should be able to get it on track.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what to say, Weegar has played himself into Norris trophy contention (he won't get a sniff, but he's been excellent), Sharangovich has made people around the league think the Flames won the Toffoli trade hands down, Andersson is still a very good defenseman and Zary looks like Mangiapane used to look before he got paid and stopped trying. Dustin Wolf looks like the Flames #1 goalie for the next 6-8 years and is the main reason why I hope Conroy trades Markstrom to land a nice package of picks/prospects.

Flames just don't have guys that can consistently put the puck in the net and the PP has been abysmal. If they can get some traction offensively, they could be a pretty good team in 3 years time. Connor Zary is 22 years old and is trending upwards and you think the Flames should part with him?

The only thing missing from your post above was green text.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think next year is more of a concern. If somehow the Pans miss the playoffs next year then the Flames could be handing the Scabitants a top 10 pick in next year's draft. That would be a tough pill to swallow.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm - One defenseman in could mean one defenseman is heading out. Trade brewing?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lanny with a cardiac arrest health scare, all appears to be good now...

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuzmenko seems to be a good guy (or maybe he's drunk). Could be both lol