• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy gold out of Edmonton

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One boast the Leafs can make over the past decade is that despite how epically awful they've been, they haven't been Edmonton-bad.
If I'm not mistaken, the Oilers are now tied for the longest post season drought in league history, so there really aren't any teams that can claim to have been Edmonton bad.

Unless they make it next year, they're the all-time record holders. I'm sure Auston Matthews will help them though...:gaah:

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm not mistaken, the Oilers are now tied for the longest post season drought in league history, so there really aren't any teams that can claim to have been Edmonton bad.

Unless they make it next year, they're the all-time record holders. I'm sure Auston Matthews will help them though...:gaah:

Just like Hall did.

And Nuge.

And Yak

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They can get Matthews, Ovechkin, Crosby, Prime Gretzky...

Ain't gonna do shit for them unless they can craft some sort of defence.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Matthews is just going to scream when Edmonton wins the lottery. Maybe pull out some hair, too.

If I were Auston, I'd stay in Switzerland. He's making good money, very little travel, and in a couple of years, he can have his pick of 30+ teams.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were Auston, I'd stay in Switzerland. He's making good money, very little travel, and in a couple of years, he can have his pick of 30+ teams.
Wouldn't he just get re-entered into the draft? And we all know how that will turn out...

Best he could hope for is they trade his rights.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And still be eligible for the Calder!

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't he just get re-entered into the draft? And we all know how that will turn out...

Best he could hope for is they trade his rights.

If he held out long enough (I know it won't happen, but humo(u)r me), would he be too old for the entry draft?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he held out long enough (I know it won't happen, but humo(u)r me), would he be too old for the entry draft?
Pulled this from hockeysfuture.com :

What's a 're-entry player'?
This is a special category. It is a player who feels that the NHL club who drafted him is not to his liking and he refuses to sign. If he is a major junior player who was unsigned two years after he was drafted and still meets the age requirements, he can re-enter the draft. But the player also runs the risk of being drafted much lower than before, being drafted by the same team that original chose him, or not being selected at all.

So do all players who want to get to the NHL have to be drafted?
No. Any player who went unclaimed in the NHL Draft can sign an entry-level deal with an NHL club. Likewise for any North American players who are older than 20 on December 31st of the draft year.

So, I guess Matthews would be eligible to re-enter.

EDIT: Sorry sorry, I forgot, Europe:

What's the rule regarding Europeans?
European players, regardless of their age, are eligible for the Entry Draft. That is to say, a European player who, if playing in North America, would otherwise be ineligible for the draft because of his age can opt into the Entry Draft. For example, a North American player of the age of thirty is ineligible for the draft while a European player of the same age is technically eligible.

So...He's eligible to be drafted forever I guess?

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It would be more likely we'd see the Lindros scenario playing out again.

If he stayed in Switzerland, they'd be in a rush to trade him. It wouldn't come to him re-entering the draft after (I think) two years.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm always willing to give likes to Simpsons references...

But I know that was referring to Germany in that episode.

Yes, that's correct, and I don't want to offend any Swiss people out there (they probably feel a little Berned now).