• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

college football

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best team isn't always a championship team. Playoffs decide which team deserves to be champions. It also gives you a better show and allows players from lower ranked teams an opportunity to shine on the national stage. Not in the Godaddy.com bowl that no one is watching.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't disagree with you but at least in a playoff system you've earned your right to be in the championship game.

Granted to a certain extent you do earn that spot in college football with your season play but it just leaves to many teams that you can argue should be in it out.

I mean let's say Arkansas beats LSU this weekend which will leave a bunch of quality 1 loss teams and if the season ends with a bunch of one loss teams you have to narrow it down two 2 teams with formulas and stats.

Wouldn't you much rather see a system where these teams play each other and decide it out on the field than by deciding it with computers and calculations?

How many teams do you put in your playoffs? How do you choose them? Don't you again risk teams that belong in being left out? Was Seattle (7-9) more deserving than the Giants (10-6) last year?

And we probably shouldn't look at the NBA over the last 8 years or so when the 37 win Hawks make the playoffs and the 48 win Warriors don't.

Playoffs
a) Do not ensure the best team wins, and
b) Do not guarantee the deserving teams get in.

If there had been a playoff for the last 7 years in college football, how many teams make it? Remember, you can't adjust it every year. If it's 8 one year, it's 8 in every year.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The best team isn't always a championship team. Playoffs decide which team deserves to be champions. It also gives you a better show and allows players from lower ranked teams an opportunity to shine on the national stage. Not in the Godaddy.com bowl that no one is watching.

So how many teams do you put in the playoffs? The godaddy.com bowl is the MAC Champion vs the Sun Belt Champion. Last year Miami (OH) beat Middle Tennessee.

Would you have had Miami (OH) and Middle Tennessee in your playoffs last year?

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how many teams do you put in the playoffs? The godaddy.com bowl is the MAC Champion vs the Sun Belt Champion. Last year Miami (OH) beat Middle Tennessee.

Would you have had Miami (OH) and Middle Tennessee in your playoffs last year?

I only used godaddy as an example. I don't watch college football. I don't believe in the most important games being played during the regular season. It's dumb if you're a good team and have 1 off day and lose to someone you weren't supposed to kills your chances for a championship. GB won the SB as a wild card. If it were college FB rules they wouldn't have even gotten close to the big game. GB didn't find their rhythm until mid way through the season. You can't just throw out a team because of a single loss. Extremely flawed system.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I only used godaddy as an example. I don't watch college football. I don't believe in the most important games being played during the regular season. It's dumb if you're a good team and have 1 off day and lose to someone you weren't supposed to kills your chances for a championship. GB won the SB as a wild card. If it were college FB rules they wouldn't have even gotten close to the big game. GB didn't find their rhythm until mid way through the season. You can't just throw out a team because of a single loss. Extremely flawed system.

So where do you draw the line? How many teams make the playoffs?

Would Miami Ohio really have felt better last year if they could have been destroyed by Auburn or Oregon in early December and had their season end rather than win a bowl game in January?

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So where do you draw the line? How many teams make the playoffs?

Would Miami Ohio really have felt better last year if they could have been destroyed by Auburn or Oregon in early December and had their season end rather than win a bowl game in January?

They have to come up with something like NCAAB. Take the top 20 teams. Split them in half, two bowl playoffs similar to NCAA/NIT. So two 10 team tourney's and give the two highest seeds from each playoff a bye week. If you don't make the top 20, tough luck. You would probably have to shorten the regular season a game or two. That's just my rough draft college football playoff suggestion.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They have to come up with something like NCAAB. Take the top 20 teams. Split them in half, two bowl playoffs similar to NCAA/NIT. So two 10 team tourney's and give the two highest seeds from each playoff a bye week. If you don't make the top 20, tough luck. You would probably have to shorten the regular season a game or two. That's just my rough draft college football playoff suggestion.

So the top 10 play together, and 11-20 play together? What rankings do you use?

Also, at a 10 team tournament the top 6 teams need byes. Not the top 2. If the top 2 get byes, then you have 6 teams for round 2, and 3 for round 3.

But more importantly, you've created a 5 round tournament. Do they still play once a week?

Is it fair to take games away from the teams that aren't in the top 20 and never have a shot at the top 20?

Why have 2 tournaments? If they used the BCS rankings right now, Michigan State would forfeit a Rose Bowl birth as Big 10 Champs to play in a tournament where the winner is declared the 11th best team in the country.

Why would MSU do that?

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the top 10 play together, and 11-20 play together? What rankings do you use?

Also, at a 10 team tournament the top 6 teams need byes. Not the top 2. If the top 2 get byes, then you have 6 teams for round 2, and 3 for round 3.

But more importantly, you've created a 5 round tournament. Do they still play once a week?

Is it fair to take games away from the teams that aren't in the top 20 and never have a shot at the top 20?

Why have 2 tournaments? If they used the BCS rankings right now, Michigan State would forfeit a Rose Bowl birth as Big 10 Champs to play in a tournament where the winner is declared the 11th best team in the country.

Why would MSU do that?

Lol that's why I called it a rough draft, but something along those lines. I'd rather have two tournaments than ten bowl games.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lol that's why I called it a rough draft, but something along those lines. I'd rather have two tournaments than ten bowl games.

Why?

Particularly as someone who doesn't watch college football.

Why would teams give up Bowl games?

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why?

Particularly as someone who doesn't watch college football.

Why would teams give up Bowl games?

I would be more intrigued like I am with college BB if there were playoffs. There's no NCAAB team crying because they didn't get to play in a gimmick bowl game after they get eliminated.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would be more intrigued like I am with college BB if there were playoffs. There's no NCAAB team crying because they didn't get to play in a gimmick bowl game after they get eliminated.

Because it's something that's never been presented to them.

Also, in the NCAAB tournament, all teams have a chance to be declared national champions.

You want MSU to give up the Rose Bowl to have a chance at being declared the 11th best team in the country? Why should that appeal to them?

They can play more games to get less money and less prestige.

Sounds like a winning idea.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's something that's never been presented to them.

Also, in the NCAAB tournament, all teams have a chance to be declared national champions.

You want MSU to give up the Rose Bowl to have a chance at being declared the 11th best team in the country? Why should that appeal to them?

They can play more games to get less money and less prestige.

Sounds like a winning idea.

OK what about Boise St.? How much do you think they've been affected by not having a playoff system? Or TCU? There are plenty of examples that go both ways. Not just MSU.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
OK what about Boise St.? How much do you think they've been affected by not having a playoff system? Or TCU? There are plenty of examples that go both ways. Not just MSU.

Maybe they have, maybe they haven't.

It's easy to say "there should be a playoff." It's a lot more difficult to put together a workable system. Those that say there should be a playoff, should be able to outline the system that fixes the problem of BSU and TCU.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they have, maybe they haven't.

It's easy to say "there should be a playoff." It's a lot more difficult to put together a workable system. Those that say there should be a playoff, should be able to outline the system that fixes the problem of BSU and TCU.

Hey. I'm just giving you my opinion. I would be more interested in college football if there were a playoff. And I think the majority of the country feels the same way.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5452896

Question: Do you want a playoff?

Overall
135 FBS players
Yes: 62.2%
No: 37.8%

BCS players
72 from BCS conferences
Yes: 61.1%
No: 38.9%

Non-BCS players
63 from non-BCS conferences
Yes: 63.5%
No: 36.5%

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hey. I'm just giving you my opinion. I would be more interested in college football if there were a playoff. And I think the majority of the country feels the same way.

College football poll: Players want playoff over BCS - ESPN

Considering the ratings that bowl games pull in, I doubt a playoff would be more popular. The final might be, but it isn't like people tuned out of Oregon/Auburn last year because there was no playoff.

I also hardly think 135 football players are a quality sample of the American public.

And a playoff doesn't get rid of the small bowls like the Godaddy.com bowl. It gets rid of the Rose Bowl, the Sugar Bowl, the Cotton Bowl, the Fiesta Bowl and the other "big bowls." The teams that would play in those games would be in your playoff bracket.

Middle Tennessee and Miami (OH) would still be available for a bowl game.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that wasn't an attempt to answer the question.

Try again:
Will a playoff determine the best team in the nation?

maybe try reading my prev post

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering the ratings that bowl games pull in, I doubt a playoff would be more popular. The final might be, but it isn't like people tuned out of Oregon/Auburn last year because there was no playoff.

I also hardly think 135 football players are a quality sample of the American public.

And a playoff doesn't get rid of the small bowls like the Godaddy.com bowl. It gets rid of the Rose Bowl, the Sugar Bowl, the Cotton Bowl, the Fiesta Bowl and the other "big bowls." The teams that would play in those games would be in your playoff bracket.

Middle Tennessee and Miami (OH) would still be available for a bowl game.

I agree there are a lot of obstacles to make a playoff happen and try to make everyone happy. Whether they keep the BCS or put in a playoff there will be people left unhappy with the system. I'm interested in seeing what they do.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree there are a lot of obstacles to make a playoff happen and try to make everyone happy. Whether they keep the BCS or put in a playoff there will be people left unhappy with the system. I'm interested in seeing what they do.

They can't make everyone happy.