• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk V: The Final Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were teaching it when I was in HS (01-05). It was more just a section of assimilation in general but it was definitely material we studied.

They also touched on things like the Oka & Ipperwash crises.

That's good to hear BBB.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My kids (elementary school) have learned about it since grade 1. It's a big part of their curriculum.

Good to hear that the curriculum is being updated to teach an important (and very unpleasant) part of our history. As puck said earlier, residential schools were still around in 1996, so it's not really history, it's current day.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think what we can buy with that money - history books that know how the Korean War came out, math books that don't have that base six crap in them and a state-of-the-art detention hall where children are held in place with magnets.

51okL_a5GwSx305Sr-uVoUbCO4XHBbms3ib7OMihFeQ.png

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to hear that the curriculum is being updated to teach an important (and very unpleasant) part of our history. As puck said earlier, residential schools were still around in 1996, so it's not really history, it's current day.
Few more items that really aren't that historical in the US:

The Stone Mountain GA the mural on the side of the rock. The people that defend it like it was preserving something that was done a long time ago and was historical. It was completed in 1965 and was officially opened on of all days, the day Lincoln was assassinated.

Sundown Towns -> to this day there are a lot of folks that didn't know this was thing. For instance Forsyth County GA (where Oprah had her march) was pretty bad through the late 80's until she brought light to it.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ted Koppel nails it while Hannity keeps interrupting him because he can't handle the truth...

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few more items that really aren't that historical in the US:

The Stone Mountain GA the mural on the side of the rock. The people that defend it like it was preserving something that was done a long time ago and was historical. It was completed in 1965 and was officially opened on of all days, the day Lincoln was assassinated.

Sundown Towns -> to this day there are a lot of folks that didn't know this was thing. For instance Forsyth County GA (where Oprah had her march) was pretty bad through the late 80's until she brought light to it.

Sad/funny (not ha-ha) that it has taken 2 hbo tv series to bring juneteenth,tulsa and sundown towns into the spotlight for a lot of the general public :noidea:

/and both those series got predictably downvoted by the white supremacists out there

Last edited:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Sad/funny (not ha-ha) that it has taken 2 hbo tv series to bring juneteenth,tulsa and sundown towns into the spotlight for a lot of the general public :noidea:

/and both those series got predictably downvoted by the white supremacists out there
I learned about Juneteenth on a very special episode of Black-ish
to be fair (reported), there are not a heck of a lot of black people in Vancouver.

csb time about stereotypes
in my much younger days i was dating a black girl (holy, she was stunning).
and we randomly run into another black friend of mine at a party.
wouldn't you know it, they knew each other.
I started to say "soooo, do all....." they both told me to shut the fuck up. lol

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as ww2 japanese internment goes, i can remember learning about that in elementary school on a field trip to the pne buildings/livestock barns .. that acted as a staging area for all the vancouver japanese who were rounded up before being sent to the interior of bc ...and hollywood strikes again depicting that as the subtext to season 2 of “the Terror”

/and for my csb time, ill mention that italian internment is part of my family folklore as my grandfather was allegedly interned in california where he went to during ww2 ... to avoid serving and to make money in logging. Its alleged because no one in our family truly knows if he got caught or evaded being caught for all those years he was away before he returned to italy

/when my bro moved to cali i told him to sign up with one of those dna genealogical sites so he could find our long lost bastard relatives because im sure they exist in cali :nod:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A9F4902B-99F7-4DCC-A754-204EECF45D95.jpeg

Anybody want to go?

/Forrest Whitaker looks like he is going as either Diamond or Silk

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likewise in Canada, our social studies classes never featured residential schools. We did learn some things about Louis Riel, but other aspects of indigenous history in Canada were not taught.
I only heard about them a few months ago in a book about the history of Native American stand up comedians. There were a lot of these schools and a lot were awful.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never heard of the tulsa stuff...i did learn about internment camps
Same here.
I learned about Juneteenth on a very special episode of Black-ish
to be fair (reported), there are not a heck of a lot of black people in Vancouver.

csb time about stereotypes
in my much younger days i was dating a black girl (holy, she was stunning).
and we randomly run into another black friend of mine at a party.
wouldn't you know it, they knew each other.
I started to say "soooo, do all....." they both told me to shut the fuck up. lol
In Baltimore there is a large Greek community* and pretty much all my life from school to now if I asked a Greek person if they knew another one I get the same answer.

"We don't all knew each other......but yes I know them"

*there's actually a small community of Greek people, some born here, who never learn English

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here.

In Baltimore there is a large Greek community* and pretty much all my life from school to now if I asked a Greek person if they knew another one I get the same answer.

"We don't all knew each other......but yes I know them"

*there's actually a small community of Greek people, some born here, who never learn English
Huh, The Wire had me thinking there was only one. I mean, he was THE Greek, so how could there be more?

Status
Not open for further replies.