• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coach Gile on Kaps offseason workout

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PHOENIX -- Quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s 10-week offseason session in Arizona is over, and the man who worked most closely with him believes the time spent was beneficial for all involved.
Kaepernick logged five days a week, beginning Jan. 12, working out, watching film and fine-tuning his mechanics with quarterback coaches Dennis Gile and Mike Giavondo. Two-time NFL MVP Kurt Warner spent time with Kaepernick for approximately 10 sessions during that time.
Kaepernick completed 60.5 percent of his pass attempts last year in his second full season as the 49ers starter. He threw for a career-best 3,369 yards with 19 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. But his passer rating dropped to a career-low 86.4 and the 49ers finished out of the playoffs with an 8-8 record.
His arm strength and ability to drive the ball down the field has never been in question, but Kaepernick’s accuracy and touch on the shorter throws has been seen as an area in which he can improve.
[MAIOCCO: York: On-field reasons for coaching change]
“I don’t think there was a throw he couldn’t make when he first got here,” Gile told CSNBayArea.com on Sunday. “I just think the consistency and efficiency of it was what we wanted to get better at, and I think that’s where we made tremendous strides. He became a lot more consistent and efficient with those balls.”
General manager Trent Baalke suggested last month Kaepernick would set out to hone his “footwork, delivery, changing platforms, throwing platforms, arm angle,” as well as adjusting the velocity on his shorter throws.
The short-passing game figures to be more of an emphasis this season with the addition of free-agent running back Reggie Bush, who has averaged more than 50 receptions per season in his nine-year NFL career.
“We worked on that form to get it over the linebacker, touch it over,” Gile said. “We worked on his deep ball, getting it up and down and dropping it in the bucket. I think we worked on every type of scenario there is. And when we were done training this past week, I didn’t see a throw he could not make.”
Gile declined to reveal specific issues that were ironed out during their time together, but he said Kaepernick was an ideal student and showed a willingness to absorb a lot of information from every available source.
“He made strides on some bio-mechanical things and understanding of the game, from a different standpoint, from Kurt or whoever,” Gile said.
“The thing that blew me away the most was how coachable the guy is. He listens to you. He has done stuff a certain way for so long. The first time I told him to do something, he did it and never went back to the old way he was doing it. To me, that’s pretty incredible. It’s hard to stop doing something you’ve been doing your whole life.”
The 49ers’ offseason program is scheduled to begin April 6 in Santa Clara under first-year head coach Jim Tomsula. From the end of the season until the start of the official program, players are not allowed to work with a team’s coaches under terms of the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement.
This is the first offseason of Kaepernick’s NFL career that he sought the assistance of independent coaches in the offseason.
[MAIOCCO: Willis: 'Zero' chance of making comeback]
Every weekday for the past 10 weeks, Kaepernick conditioned and lifted weights at the EXOS training facility in Phoenix from 8 to 10:30 a.m. Then, he would spend time in the film room, work on his mechanics and throw passes until approximately 1 p.m.
He worked with 49ers wide receivers Quinton Patton and Bruce Ellington, as well as players from other NFL teams, including Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry, Ricardo Lockette and Darrius Heyward-Bey. Top draft prospects Kevin White, Dorial Green-Beckham and Jaelen Strong also regularly attended the workouts.
Gile said Kaepernick always showed up early and was the last person to leave. He set the tone for everybody during those workouts.
“He was pushing everybody to get better,” Gile said. “He’s a really good leader.”
But what separates Kaepernick, according to Gile, is his attitude and intelligence.
“He’s a very grateful, coachable, humble, respectful guy,” said Gile, who said he anticipates continuing to work with Kaepernick in the future. “He’s such a great kid. He’s a great human being.
“If anyone thinks that Colin can’t get through his reads, or (say), ‘Why isn’t he going from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4?’ There’s a lot more that goes into that. That’s for him and his team to figure out. But Colin is super-smart, super-intelligent. He gets it. He sees it. He understands it. He has a photographic memory that’s ridiculous. Colin was really special before he got here, obviously, physically and mentally. . . . His ceiling is super-high."

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its nice to have a QB that wants to get better. This was always a strength for Kap. He has always a hard worker. Lets see if it helps on the field.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes awful.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is nice to have Purguy. I think its very encouraging to hear, he worked on the touch pass to the flats and dropping the deep ball in the basket.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this offense is going to shock some people this year.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes awful.

i

49ers 41
(10-3-1, 5-2 away)

i

Patriots 34
(10-4, 5-2 home)

Let me know when Brady beats Kaep.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i

49ers 41
(10-3-1, 5-2 away)

i

Patriots 34
(10-4, 5-2 home)

Let me know when Brady beats Kaep.
you do NOT want to go down this road, trust me. back away, slowly.

"talk to me when kaep..."

also note, QB's dont beat QB's...they beat defenses...worst damn statement in sports.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you do NOT want to go down this road, trust me. back away, slowly.

"talk to me when kaep..."

also note, QB's dont beat QB's...they beat defenses...worst damn statement in sports.

Its ok you have the wannabe Joe Montana as your QB. Kaep slapped Brady in the only game they have played vs each other so far. If they meet again maybe Brady can be Kaep's new Aaron Rodgers.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its ok you have the wannabe Joe Montana as your QB. Kaep slapped Brady in the only game they have played vs each other so far. If they meet again maybe Brady can be Kaep's new Aaron Rodgers.
kaep did nothing to brady. got any pics or video?

kaep would cut off his prison tats to have half the success brady has had.

as far as montana goes...

playoffs (you know, where it matters)

16-7

45 TD/21 picks 95.6 rating (4 playoff runs/appearances over a 100 rating. 3 times under a 70 rating)

4 rings

brady?

21-8 (thats 5-1 on top of montanas record)

53 TD/26 picks 89.0 rating (3 playoff runs/appearances over a 100 rating, ONCE with a rating below 70)

4 rings

food for thought out there

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good to read. Hopefully we'll see the results on the field. If he can improve his accuracy and, probably more importantly, his consistency, it would be big for this team. Add in better ability to see the field and read the D, and he's still got a ton of upside. He's got to go out and fulfill it, though.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm glad i was able to teach you something.

tomorrow, tune into "how montana had jerry rice among others" on his title winning teams...meanwhile, brady had a converted QB as his #1 WR.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

16-7

45 TD/21 picks 95.6 rating (4 playoff runs/appearances over a 100 rating. 3 times under a 70 rating)

4 rings

brady?

53 TD/26 picks 89.0 rating (3 playoff runs/appearances over a 100 rating, ONCE with a rating below 70)

4 rings

Brady and Montana are both great QBs. Arguably the two best ever. Not sure there's a whole lot of point in comparing stats, though. Today's NFL is a different game than when Montana played. If Rice and Taylor were running free the way Brady's receivers can (admittedly, Brady typically hasn't had talent like that), Montana's stats would have been ridiculous - they were ridiculous even facing markedly tougher Ds. Comparing passer rating, for instance, is just silly. This past season, 17 QBs who had over 100 attempts had a 90+ passer rating. Bortles and Vick were the only two who were under 70 for the season. In '89, four QBs were above 90, while eleven were under 70 for the season. In '88, only three broke 90.

And it's got to be noted that the rules have literally been changed specifically to protect Tom Brady.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady and Montana are both great QBs. Arguably the two best ever. Not sure there's a whole lot of point in comparing stats, though. Today's NFL is a different game than when Montana played. If Rice and Taylor were running free the way Brady's receivers can (admittedly, Brady typically hasn't had talent like that), Montana's stats would have been ridiculous - they were ridiculous even facing markedly tougher Ds. Comparing passer rating, for instance, is just silly. This past season, 17 QBs who had over 100 attempts had a 90+ passer rating. Bortles and Vick were the only two who were under 70 for the season. In '89, four QBs were above 90, while eleven were under 70 for the season. In '88, only three broke 90.

And it's got to be noted that the rules have literally been changed specifically to protect Tom Brady.
totally agreed, and im with ya on this.

its just calling him " a montana wanna be" is really, really...sad?

give brady rice, taylor...hell, craig and rathman too...

totally different game for the most part since about what, 2000 when they took defensive backs out of football?

also of note, the "brady rule" was preceded by the "carson palmer rule".

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

totally different game for the most part since about what, 2000 when they took defensive backs out of football?

I get the whole "give Brady guys like Rice, Taylor, Craig and Rathman" argument, but again speaking on comparing apples and oranges. Rice ran a 4.61 40 at the Combine (IIRC), which wouldn't have gotten him drafted nearly as high in today's game. Didn't Dobson run like a 4.4? The overall speed and play of the game is so different now then it was then that giving Brady these players doesn't make sense. They were drafted for specific purposes and roles in the offense Walsh created. And they were chosen perfectly. None of the above mentioned players except maybe Craig would have done much to raise an eyebrow at today's scouting combine. That doesn't take away from their skill, which dominated half a decade, it just puts the argument you used into perspective a bit. Hopefully.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Kaep is concerned, I am extremely impressed more by the word spoken by Coach Giles about Kaep then I am that Kaep is working on his weaknesses. We all knew his work ethic is incredible, but to hear details on the character of the man was at least a little bit calming for me.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Not saying he's the ONLY person they've changed rules for, just noting that they did.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, bradys one of you guys. CA kid. Niner fan. Had montana posters over his bed.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

16-7

4 rings

brady?

4 rings

Like others have said above its a different game today compared to back then. Brady is a great QB but he will never be better than Montana even if Brady wins another SB. Same way MJ is the best NBA player all time but only has 6 rings while Bill Russell has 11. Also look at the year Brady went down and Matt Cassel stepped in and went 11-5. Cassel is a horrible QB but it just proved you could plug in a QB into Belichick's system and still have success.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like others have said above its a different game today compared to back then. Brady is a great QB but he will never be better than Montana even if Brady wins another SB. Same way MJ is the best NBA player all time but only has 6 rings while Bill Russell has 11. Also look at the year Brady went down and Matt Cassel stepped in and went 11-5. Cassel is a horrible QB but it just proved you could plug in a QB into Belichick's system and still have success.
Cassel was a probowler with better numbers in kc. He also had the luxury of randy moss. He chucked it up to him a ton that year.