• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clock Management

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't run out-of-bounds and you go down as soon as you've gotten the 1st down. You don't score a TD. That was what was best for the team. The Giants are 5-7 rather than 7-5 because their players made bad choices in games that shouldn't have been lost. McFadden made back-to-back bad choices. He shouldn't have been on the field after the 1st bad choice. That's on Garrett.
No one said he didn't make a bad choice; that has been discussed all week. Your comment that he did it for himself is what was off base.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one said he didn't make a bad choice; that has been discussed all week. Your comment that he did it for himself is what was off base.
Exactly, and it wasn't even the worst thing ever that he scored. I realize we could have ran the clock down for the winning FG, but stranger things have happened than not getting that 3. I seem to remember Tony Romo and a KBall up in Seattle in the playoffs...

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, and it wasn't even the worst thing ever that he scored. I realize we could have ran the clock down for the winning FG, but stranger things have happened than not getting that 3. I seem to remember Tony Romo and a KBall up in Seattle in the playoffs...

I always thought a team plays the percentages all the way out. Gruden said the same thing.. Make them burn their timeouts and kick the field goal......The Wash might have had 20 to 25 seconds left with no timeouts
And being THEE defender of T Romo.... The Seattle game would not necessarily been over just because DALLAS would have kicked that FG.....Seattle would have just been losing 23 to 21 with 1:14 on the clock with them still having one timeout remaining.....It was not a forgone conclusion that the COWBOYS would have won that game.
But that game, started the myth about Romo.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always thought a team plays the percentages all the way out. Gruden said the same thing.. Make them burn their timeouts and kick the field goal......The Wash might have had 20 to 25 seconds left with no timeouts
And being THEE defender of T Romo.... The Seattle game would not necessarily been over just because DALLAS would have kicked that FG.....Seattle would have just been losing 23 to 21 with 1:14 on the clock with them still having one timeout remaining.....It was not a forgone conclusion that the COWBOYS would have won that game.
But that game, started the myth about Romo.

I think most of us are in agreement McFadden should have got the first and stopped before scoring, but that's easy for us to say but it goes against a profootball players thoughts, his goal is to score, it's not about him, it's about scoring to try to win a game.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was the Eagle S, years ago who intercepted a ball ran to the one yard line and took a knee? Players not scoring on purpose happens but it's exception rather than the rule.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Westbrook did it to us once as a RB.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of us are in agreement McFadden should have got the first and stopped before scoring, but that's easy for us to say but it goes against a profootball players thoughts, his goal is to score, it's not about him, it's about scoring to try to win a game.

Yes, no doubt shouldn't have gone out of bounds, but I'm not even going to say he should have stopped before scoring on the TD. We needed a first down. It wasn't like it was a 20 yard run. We needed 100%, balls out, aggressiveness from the OL and RB on that play to get the first down. You can't shoot a guy out of a cannon and then a half second later expect him to fall down. It wasn't like the sideline play where he had plenty of time to go down and everyone is cognizant that you should stay in.

It may sound like semantics, but my comment on the TD was we were better off if he went down, not that he should have tried to go down.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, no doubt shouldn't have gone out of bounds, but I'm not even going to say he should have stopped before scoring on the TD. We needed a first down. It wasn't like it was a 20 yard run. We needed 100%, balls out, aggressiveness from the OL and RB on that play to get the first down. You can't shoot a guy out of a cannon and then a half second later expect him to fall down. It wasn't like the sideline play where he had plenty of time to go down and everyone is cognizant that you should stay in.

It may sound like semantics, but my comment on the TD was we were better off if he went down, not that he should have tried to go down.

I agree, it looked as though he expected more defense at the point of attack, hit the hole hard and a step and a half later TD. I have wondered if Washington just let him score there.