• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot: Browns Could Trade 12th / 19th Picks For Mario

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFT Live | ProFootballTalk

The operative word here is "could" like in coulda, shoulda, woulda. Even if the Browns do part ways with those two picks to trade up for Mariota, there's also the issue of who their trading partner will be. If they want to eliminate all doubt, they'd strike a deal with Tennessee. But, despite their two number ones, that's still not enough value for the #2 overall -- or the #3 pick either. This trade only starts making sense value-wise when you hit Oakland at #4. But would they make that deal? Who knows? If they don't, the next one up is us.

Of course, another team could leapfrog them to #2. The Jets are the next obvious choice. But in order to do that, the starting price is the king's ransom we paid for RGIII. That will probably be too rich for them. And for others after the Jets, the price goes even higher.

Which brings things back to both us and the Raiders. Both of those teams seem like the logical trading partners for the Browns IF they want to trade down to take Mariota. The fly in the ointment for them is that they don't know if Tennessee will preempt this all by taking Mariota second overall. In order to be sure, they've got to wait until draft day to watch if Tennessee picks Leonard Williams. If that happens, we (or the Raiders) may be picking twice on April 30.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still feel Tennessee will take Williams, then the Jets jump ahead of us for MM.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do 12th and 19th for 5th every day of the week

bworku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jet's don't have to jump to 2 to get MM potentially. They could move from 6 to 3 or 4 for less. I could easily see them jumping us at 5 and trading with Oakland at 4 if MM is still there.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still feel Tennessee will take Williams, then the Jets jump ahead of us for MM.

They would have to give up something similar to what we gave up for RGIII in 2012. Not sure if they're willing to do that. But the Jags will be able to take one of the top rated OLBs or WRs if they trade down to #6. And that would be good for them -- IF they get value for what they're trading down for. Big IF.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would have to give up something similar to what we gave up for RGIII in 2012. Not sure if they're willing to do that. But the Jags will be able to take one of the top rated OLBs or WRs if they trade down to #6. And that would be good for them -- IF they get value for what they're trading down for. Big IF.

No they wouldn't. As bw just explained they would simply have to move to 4 if the Titans take Williams at 2. And that won't cost 3 1's and a 2.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they wouldn't. As bw just explained they would simply have to move to 4 if the Titans take Williams at 2. And that won't cost 3 1's and a 2.

That is a big IF. We had to jump to two to make sure no one jumped ahead of us. It's anyone's guess right now what Tennessee will do. Thus, if the Jets don't want to screw the pooch, they've got to move up to numero dos to avoid that happening. But, if they are sure, that does change things.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love a Eli manning Phillip rivers kind of thing happening for the skins. Pick Mariotta, then sell him to the highest bidder.

Yes, I know the giants and chargers were working things out BEFORE the chargers took Kim, but even so..... Would be sweet if the skins could end up crushing some other team in a trade as opposed to always getting crushed...