• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cingrani sent down

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB is saying Cingrani has been optioned to the AZL Reds, which is instructional.
I assume that's for ... well, instruction.
All the same, they'd be keeping Reynolds for the moment. He's out of options.
Now we have no lefthanded starters.

Maybe it won't matter.

Cincy the Red

It all starts with heart.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sigh......................Dust-noadramis doesn't understand his value it appears. There is nothing more he can learn at that level.....only MLB level will suffice at this point. Maybe I am an idiot, but if I were Cin-ful, I would be pissed with this bouncing around. You don't learn anything by "dummying down"....ya learn by playing the best. Sorta like back in high school when the varsity team would scrimmage against the junior high kids..........

What do we need with a strong, 4-1 starting record, 1+ K an inning, "healthy" lefty arms for anyways? God-forbid Dusty.............

When he learns that it IS OK to bat 2 lefties back to back, I will then think he turned the corner in his thinking.....however, if I were to hold my breath for it to happen.......I would more than likely be dead.

"Cin-ful" can fill any role we need going forward from a pitching perspective..........if only given the "consistent" opportunity. Starter "check!".....relief "check!"......."set-up "check!" by my measure thus far this year at the MLB level. Kid has done everything asked of him.

Perhaps there is a reason for this move I am missing, who knows.............someone please enlighten me.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think maybe they are just delaying the decision on Reynolds as long as possible. Maybe they bring Cingrani back up in time for his regular turn on Sunday.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think maybe they are just delaying the decision on Reynolds as long as possible. Maybe they bring Cingrani back up in time for his regular turn on Sunday.

If they send Reynolds back, they put him on waivers. They could be trying to carve out a deal but I don't think there are that many takers for the guy. It's a matter of if the league wants to gamble on getting him, or if somebody wants to make a statement. As a free agent, Reynolds can pretty much go anyplace. There's not really a spot for him with the Reds.

Sending Cingrani to the AZL team would suggest they need to park him someplace nearby. The Reds go to Phoenix after L.A., so that's a thought.

All the same, in the end, I agree ... Reds gotta stick the guy in there and let him pitch.
Clearly, they don't mind burning his options so they obviously expect him to be a rotation guy next year.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can delay the decision on Reynolds even further by optioning Partch back to Indy when Cingrani's brought back up. Meanwhile Partch is available as an emergency fill in until then. Of course anyone interested in Reynolds can easily wait the Reds out, because sooner or later they are going to have to put him on waivers.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reynolds is probably getting permission to make a deal.
If he is claimed, the Reds can pull him back, I suppose.
Then he'd be a FA and could make his own deal. It's not like the guy's a make-or-break pitcher.
Reds had to know this was likely when they signed him.
Maybe he will sign with the Reds again.

Cincy the Red

It all starts with heart.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what ye all are saying. In my opinion however, to hell with Reynolds. I want (and hopefully the Reds as well) a World Series. They always spoke of winning now and I hope they meant it. Enough of shuffling the cards and looking for a trade partner....personally, I don't think we need anything else once we get healthy. In order to make the WS, Cingrani needs as much time as he can get in ANY capacity at the MLB level.....who knows where he might find himself within our pitching staff. Hopefully, in an ideal world, Luddy will be back soon with Cueto not far behind.....and hopefully Marshall next. Our window of opportunity is closing pretty rapidly folks.....we need to take advantage.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Reynolds is a point of conversation and is hardly relevant to the pitching staff, unless he's going to move into the rotation beyond this weekend. I can't see that happening under any conditions.

Honestly I don't even know what the AZL pitchers do. I know it's for young signees who get adjusted to pro ball before going over to Billings. So I'd guess he's there to either work on something or just hang out until Monday. Sending him out isn't a problem right now since he isn't gonna pitch anyway till next week.

He may have asked to stay in Arizona so he could hang around the clubhouse all weekend.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reynolds will not make another start, Reds had to send Cingrani down because of the 26 man rule that they made for the doubleheader. It has already been announced Cingrani will pitch sunday VS LA.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew the 26-man rule factored in but wasn't sure if it was Cingrani or Reynolds who was the 26th man.
Cingrani is going to hang out with the AZL Reds and maybe throw in the bullpen.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is still a little strange, and seems to be a lot of maneuvering to get a few low level minor league players. Which that's all I see the Reds getting for Reynolds.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cingrani is starting sunday

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. Cingrani starts Sunday.

We gotta take 1 game at a time, some say, and I agree, as long as the playoffs are a foregone conclusion, which of course, they aren't.

On the premise that some kind if forward planning might be worthwhile, lets assume the best happens; Cueto returns in time for post season, ready to perform. I hate to be redundant, but this stat is just overwhelming to me: among the last 50 World Championship teams, only 5 had no LHSP, and 1 of them beat a team in the WS that didn't have one either. It's not impossible to win it all without one, but 90% of winners had at least one. I think that's more than coincidence. The Reds lose a 1st round playoff series against the Phillies in 2010, without one, and the Phil's were eliminated by the eventual champ Giants, with one. The Reds were eliminated by those same Giants last year.

So what's the chances Cingrani gets a start in the post season ? Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Arroyo... all righties.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really doubt if Cueto makes it back at all this year, and if he does, how long before he goes down again? Cingrani still is the fifth man in the rotation, and would likely be used in the pen in the playoffs.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The Reds need a LHSP in a 3 man post season rotation. I understand if they dont have a choice. Until someone starts winning it all without one, im convinced its a requirement. It was my biggest disagreement with keeping Chapman as a closer. This team seems to choose to swim against the current sometimes. The Giants made hard decisions- leaving frequently battered LSP Barry Zito off the post season roster( they still had LSP Bumgarner though), even though he was the highest paid player. They did what gave them the best chance to win, not necessarily what made everyone happy. I'm not saying you bench Bailey and pitch a 4.75 ERA just because he's a lefty, but you gotta find room for an effective LHSP, against post season teams starting every lefty hitter they can muster, or it just makes odds longer.

Kate Upton

Hotter than Kate Upton
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chapman is not a starter.

Chapman doesn't want to be a starter.

The Reds don't need Chapman to be a starter.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There you go again. Chapman has started far more games than hes relieved in his pro career, just never for Dusty in a regular season game. He's probably among the 3 or 4 most devistating arms in MLB today, and among the best lefty arms of the last 30 years...and it's riskless to start him, out if spring training, where he's been the Reds BEST SP the last 2 years...but it won't be TRIED, not because Chapman would refuse, but because Dusty already has. It's a high reward, no risk proposition, blocked by Dusty's constipation. There is always the possibility of injury, and Dusty's been gunshy because of his largely undeserved, but ever present reputation for injuries to dominant young starters. It's why he refuses to start Chapman, not because he thinks it makes Chapman or the Reds better. Just my opinion , of course.

Any team without a lefty SP is a long shot to win it all, and Dusty never will without one. He may never win one with one, but he has a better chance, and I can't imagine a better one than Chapman. No offense, but I think that anyone that believes a closer is more critical to winning games than a starter is sadly misinformed.