• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Harris - Torn ACL

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you thoughts on the long term ramifications of these injuries?

I was thinking the same as you. We may very well be starting the season with some players missing. That won't be good considering it looks to be much tougher. I already thought we need to look for some secondary and LB help in the draft but now I think the need has double or tripled. I can only hope Lerentee McCray comes back showing the promise he did early this season and we can get Rahim Moore back with no drop off.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also happen to think Ihenacho and Adams are less than adequate at covering.

Champ, hopefully can make a real contribution. The fact that it means his best chance to finally get to play in a SB may really have him focused.

For me, the game comes down how the front 4 play. Knighton, Williams in the middle especially. Brady, when made uncomfortable in that pocket (in between those guards and center) is a less than ordinary QB. That OL also run blocks very well.

Also, the Broncos offense essentially has no excuse as far as talent goes on the Pats defense. They are a mash unit. The big factor that cannot be ignored is Belichicks ability to scheme and take away a teams strength. The ability to force a team to go away from what they do best is his real trademark.

We should get ready for DT and ED to be doubled up. The bubble screen will almost be all but useless. Bill will NOT be sending more than 4 at Manning, except in certain spots.

Having said that, the Broncos offense ought to be able to move the ball. Lets just hope Manning is on top of his game. Cannot express how essential it is for all of the WRs, TEs and OL to be on the same page.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also happen to think Ihenacho and Adams are less than adequate at covering.

Champ, hopefully can make a real contribution. The fact that it means his best chance to finally get to play in a SB may really have him focused.

For me, the game comes down how the front 4 play. Knighton, Williams in the middle especially. Brady, when made uncomfortable in that pocket (in between those guards and center) is a less than ordinary QB. That OL also run blocks very well.

Also, the Broncos offense essentially has no excuse as far as talent goes on the Pats defense. They are a mash unit. The big factor that cannot be ignored is Belichicks ability to scheme and take away a teams strength. The ability to force a team to go away from what they do best is his real trademark.

We should get ready for DT and ED to be doubled up. The bubble screen will almost be all but useless. Bill will NOT be sending more than 4 at Manning, except in certain spots.

Having said that, the Broncos offense ought to be able to move the ball. Lets just hope Manning is on top of his game. Cannot express how essential it is for all of the WRs, TEs and OL to be on the same page.

I think that is my biggest concern. Blount is a beast and he has been on an absolute tear. I feel pretty good about our prospects on offense, though you are obviously right that Belichick will cook up schemes that challenge that unit. But stopping Blount, without opening up big opportunities for play action, should be a big challenge for our defense.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you thoughts on the long term ramifications of these injuries?

ACL is a big one, but recovery time is getting shorter. Melvin Ingram tore his in May and was back on the field in December - 7 months. That would put your guys back in time for the preseason. Recovery time is different for everyone but chances are good they will be ready for week 1.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is my biggest concern. Blount is a beast and he has been on an absolute tear. I feel pretty good about our prospects on offense, though you are obviously right that Belichick will cook up schemes that challenge that unit. But stopping Blount, without opening up big opportunities for play action, should be a big challenge for our defense.
Yeah he ( Blount) has certainly been impressive as late. I`am just hoping he fumbles early and then Belicheck wont let him touch the rock again. Also feel our D can do a good job vs run anyway

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he ( Blount) has certainly been impressive as late. I`am just hoping he fumbles early and then Belicheck wont let him touch the rock again. Also feel our D can do a good job vs run anyway

Probably not in very good taste to say this, but your comment reminded me of the hit that Ihenacho put on Blount that made him drop the ball in the game at NE. Wouldn't mind too much f that were to happen again.

Also, while Blount is the back I fear the most, their other three backs are also potentially dangerous.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not in very good taste to say this, but your comment reminded me of the hit that Ihenacho put on Blount that made him drop the ball in the game at NE. Wouldn't mind too much f that were to happen again.

Also, while Blount is the back I fear the most, their other three backs are also potentially dangerous.

I'm not overly worried about Blount or anyone else on the Pats RB squad. I think Denver is more than capable of stopping them. However, is NE able to stop Moreno and Ball? THAT'S the bigger question that I think falls in our favor.

Really, the only RB I have concerns of going forward is Marshawn Lynch. But that's a bridge Denver hasn't even approached yet.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not overly worried about Blount or anyone else on the Pats RB squad. I think Denver is more than capable of stopping them. However, is NE able to stop Moreno and Ball? THAT'S the bigger question that I think falls in our favor.

Really, the only RB I have concerns of going forward is Marshawn Lynch. But that's a bridge Denver hasn't even approached yet.

Definitely agree with your opinion that Moreno and Ball figure to present problems for the NE defense. And I certainly hope that you are right about Blount, though I am not at all confident about that. Blount is a beast. When Martin emerged as the feature back in TB two years ago I figured that Blount might be let go or traded. I was hopeful that we'd get him and not at all happy that NE got him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long term ramifications...I actually view these as a positive for the future. ACL's are not the career ender that they used to be and from the sound of it Von's and Chris' ACL injuries were about as good as one could hope for in they were a clean tear and nothing else in the knee was damaged. If the surgery goes well they should be back in time possibly for the start of the season. The reason I view this as a positive is this possibly helps in the negotiating of their next contract. Both are about due for a big contract and a season ending injury is one that can help to bring down the contract even just a little.

Now what does it mean for the Broncos this off season. What I would love to see the Broncos do is devote most of their money to resigning Decker and Beadles so the offense can stay intact. The only defensive players that I would think about resigning would maybe be Adams as he has done pretty well for us and could be a quality back up. The other would obviously be DRC as he could actually be priority #1 with Champ possibly either retiring or having to take a major pay cut. If Champ comes back I tell him it is time to move back to safety and have him and hopefully Moore back from injury to be our safeties. I honestly think that could be the best safety tandem we have had in a long time.

Couple of other guys that I look at for resigning would be Ayers to a low short term contract to keep some depth. Unrein is another. Then devote the entire draft but maybe one pick to the defensive side of the ball. Not sure obviously how the draft is going to fall yet as still not sure who all is entering and such but 1st round is BPA that is either a Corner/Safety (only 1 safety in my opinion this year worthy of 1st round) or DE. Guys I have my eyes on are Trent Murphy of Stanford, Dennard of Michigan State, Justin Gilbert of Oklahoma State, Purifoy of Florida.

Pretty much our defense is going to have some unknowns next year but the good thing is the offense with another year together should be even better and can give the young guys a chance to develop. Plus just think of all the guys we would be getting back for next season in Wolfe, Moore, Von, Chris, Vickerson, plus some young guys that showed some potential in Quanterus Smith and McCray that should be ready to go. The defense will be young for sure but looking to have quite a bit of potential.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about Decker. He might be more expensive than important in the grand scheme of things. Although if I remember rightly I think there's an option on Decker that can be exercised. I wouldn't be surprised if Denver let Decker go, in favor of a younger WR (or maybe even a draftee), since the offensive weapons we have are very formidable. D. Thomas, J. Thomas, Welker being on the team too would soften the blow of losing Decker if he wants a big contract. I don't want to see Elway overpay to keep him, and I doubt he does so.

Defensive front depth is improving. I'm glad Elway is addressing that side of things as well as he has so far. Really interested to see what Q. Smith contributes. Von Miller's lost season may just keep his asking price down in the grand scheme of things too. Could be a curse now that turns into a later blessing. So, really I'm all for simply BPA. We're at the point now where I don't think we are compelled to address specific positions via the draft, and can just grab the BPA's that keep top teams on top.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about Decker. He might be more expensive than important in the grand scheme of things. Although if I remember rightly I think there's an option on Decker that can be exercised. I wouldn't be surprised if Denver let Decker go, in favor of a younger WR (or maybe even a draftee), since the offensive weapons we have are very formidable. D. Thomas, J. Thomas, Welker being on the team too would soften the blow of losing Decker if he wants a big contract. I don't want to see Elway overpay to keep him, and I doubt he does so.

Defensive front depth is improving. I'm glad Elway is addressing that side of things as well as he has so far. Really interested to see what Q. Smith contributes. Von Miller's lost season may just keep his asking price down in the grand scheme of things too. Could be a curse now that turns into a later blessing. So, really I'm all for simply BPA. We're at the point now where I don't think we are compelled to address specific positions via the draft, and can just grab the BPA's that keep top teams on top.

Couple of things here...From what I understand Decker has said that he really wants to stay in Denver and that his wife is pushing him to make it work as well so my guess is he won't go too crazy. He is one of the few that I actually expect to give a decent home town discount. I mean when his wife makes good money as well the money side of it becomes less important. Look at Tom Brady and the nice discount he gave the Patriots.

Also I agree to a certain point on the BPA but I think even the top teams though still especially with that 1st round pick look for somebody at least in maybe a 3-4 position area. Now thankfully because of the team we have Elway and company can just move around the draft to get the players they want. I do think there should be a player though at a position of need when we draft 32nd. My guess is one of the Corners (looks like 3-4 that are 1st round possibilities), safety (guy from Alabama), DE (quite a few that look pretty good this year), or maybe even MLB that should be at the spot we pick. Quarterbacks are already getting hyped for the upcoming draft and when that happens it means good things for the teams later in the draft getting a quality player.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of things here...From what I understand Decker has said that he really wants to stay in Denver and that his wife is pushing him to make it work as well so my guess is he won't go too crazy. He is one of the few that I actually expect to give a decent home town discount. I mean when his wife makes good money as well the money side of it becomes less important. Look at Tom Brady and the nice discount he gave the Patriots.

Different situations entirely. Brady's on the back end of his career, and has already made his money. He's at the point where his window for another SB ring is closing, so it makes sense to drop the salary cap hit in order to bring in talent. This is Decker's first foray into FA when he's entering his prime. Would be rather extraordinary for a player like Decker to stay put at less money knowing he could command a lot more on the FA market. Personally, it would be wonderful for him to do so, if that is indeed what he wants to do. Last thing I want to see though is for him to get overpaid. If he has a change of heart, and decides he wants the money, then he should go elsewhere.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different situations entirely. Brady's on the back end of his career, and has already made his money. He's at the point where his window for another SB ring is closing, so it makes sense to drop the salary cap hit in order to bring in talent. This is Decker's first foray into FA when he's entering his prime. Would be rather extraordinary for a player like Decker to stay put at less money knowing he could command a lot more on the FA market. Personally, it would be wonderful for him to do so, if that is indeed what he wants to do. Last thing I want to see though is for him to get overpaid. If he has a change of heart, and decides he wants the money, then he should go elsewhere.

I understand that this is his first shot at FA. The big difference for Decker compared to most players though is he has a spouse who pretty much makes even more than he does so not sure money is at the top of his priority list. Now yes I guess I could be dreaming that he would take a bit of a home town discount but he and his wife have both said that they want to stay in Denver. Throw in I think of all the receivers he and Peyton are the closest. Now if he goes on and makes money elsewhere I will not blame him one bit as that is his right to go and make as much as he can with how short NFL careers are these days. I do think however though endorcements and such have to be figured in and Peyton gets a player a lot of face time. Throw in the Denver area loves him and businesses have lined up to sign him. Not saying he couldn't get that elsewhere just don't think he would get as many if he left Denver. We shall see though.

If he does leave then obviously WR becomes a little bit of a priority. Unless something crazy happens in the draft though wouldn't want to use a 1st round pick on a receiver. Only guy maybe that I would consider would be Marqueze Lee of USC. The guy has been hurt by injuries this past season but still put up pretty darn good numbers and I just think he will end up being the best receiver of this draft.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that this is his first shot at FA. The big difference for Decker compared to most players though is he has a spouse who pretty much makes even more than he does so not sure money is at the top of his priority list. Now yes I guess I could be dreaming that he would take a bit of a home town discount but he and his wife have both said that they want to stay in Denver. Throw in I think of all the receivers he and Peyton are the closest. Now if he goes on and makes money elsewhere I will not blame him one bit as that is his right to go and make as much as he can with how short NFL careers are these days. I do think however though endorcements and such have to be figured in and Peyton gets a player a lot of face time. Throw in the Denver area loves him and businesses have lined up to sign him. Not saying he couldn't get that elsewhere just don't think he would get as many if he left Denver. We shall see though.

If he does leave then obviously WR becomes a little bit of a priority. Unless something crazy happens in the draft though wouldn't want to use a 1st round pick on a receiver. Only guy maybe that I would consider would be Marqueze Lee of USC. The guy has been hurt by injuries this past season but still put up pretty darn good numbers and I just think he will end up being the best receiver of this draft.

Even if Decker decides to go elsewhere (which it sounds like he may not, which is good), I don't see that creating any real "need" at WR beyond what we would draft via BPA. Manning has a multitude of receivers to throw to, and Decker is a luxury at this point. Caldwell would probably be the biggest beneficiary if Decker went somewhere else.

My hope is that Denver evolves into a team where losing a player to FA is only an inconvenience. I'd like to have the kind of team that if a Decker or such leaves for greener pastures, we simply plug in his backup w/out missing a beat, and replenish with BPA's from the draft. Keeps the Salary Cap status really friendly, and we save our cap space for the select few "extraordinarily special" players that teams need to keep. In the meantime, that team enjoys great production from the rest of the players on their initial contracts. Knighton decides he wants a big payday? Insert Sly Williams/ Malik Jackson. (As an example only.... I'd only let players walk if we have someone in the wings able to seamlessly fill the role.) It seems like that's what Elway is trying to build towards. I like how mindful he is of the salary cap, and will be very inrerested to see how he handles upcoming contract negotiations in 2014, 2015 and beyond.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Decker decides to go elsewhere (which it sounds like he may not, which is good), I don't see that creating any real "need" at WR beyond what we would draft via BPA. Manning has a multitude of receivers to throw to, and Decker is a luxury at this point. Caldwell would probably be the biggest beneficiary if Decker went somewhere else.

My hope is that Denver evolves into a team where losing a player to FA is only an inconvenience. I'd like to have the kind of team that if a Decker or such leaves for greener pastures, we simply plug in his backup w/out missing a beat, and replenish with BPA's from the draft. Keeps the Salary Cap status really friendly, and we save our cap space for the select few "extraordinarily special" players that teams need to keep. In the meantime, that team enjoys great production from the rest of the players on their initial contracts. Knighton decides he wants a big payday? Insert Sly Williams/ Malik Jackson. (As an example only.... I'd only let players walk if we have someone in the wings able to seamlessly fill the role.) It seems like that's what Elway is trying to build towards. I like how mindful he is of the salary cap, and will be very inrerested to see how he handles upcoming contract negotiations in 2014, 2015 and beyond.

I like the idea of plug and play and think this team is starting to get to that point at least a little. I look at how Ball has developed and to be honest has become the better runner than Moreno. Give him another year working on his receiving and blocking and I think he could become a top 10 back in this league. I look at our TE position and just how JT has developed over the last few years to give us a top 5 TE this season. I look at our OL and next season we are going to have some ridiculous depth if we resign Beadles and having Clady back. Throw in we have some younger guys already in the works to possibly step in over the next year or two. Defensively I look at our DL especially where not sure any other team in the league has had more guys have to start at different times this season. We have had a couple down games but seems like Del Rio figures out a way to fix the weaknesses. Even though our secondary has struggled this year I look at guys like Webster and even Ihenacho as guys that hopefully over the next year or two can develop into viable starters at a very low cost to the team. So yes I agree that Elway has done a good job of getting this team to the point that we have some good starters in the wings.

The two positions I don't think we really do would be linebacker (no real quality MLB right now) and WR. I know that rookies have stepped in and done well with Peyton I just think Decker would be a good one to keep. This season has been somewhat up and down for him but I do think part of that is many don't realize he has been playing with a pretty bad shoulder injury that my guess will require surgery in the off season. This is why if you watch him catch the ball he uses his left hand quite a bit more than his right. I think he get's that fixed and he could even have a better year than he already has. I also just like the idea of keeping this historical offense all together for one more year. Now if Decker prices himself out of Denver then so be it Elway has shown he doesn't overpay. We shall see I guess in the off season.

Sorry this is getting long but one final point. I do agree that taking BPA is the way to go in the draft but I just think there are some positions that if it is close you take over another position. I look at OL if Beadles comes back and just don't see how using a 1st round pick on the OL really helps this team other than adding a little more depth. I guess it can be a move for a year or two down the road like we see this year with Sly (although he really has come on lately and is actually helping this year). I do however think since we are in a nice window for the Super Bowl getting somebody who can help year one even if it is in a limited role. This is why if I were the Broncos I would narrow down depending on FA the search to about 4-5 positions for the 1st round pick. Then have your big board and top player from one of those positions unless some crazy player falls in the draft is the choice. If you talk to most teams this is pretty close to how they would do it. BPA to them can mean BPA that helps this team now and in the future.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who catches more passes Sunday?
Who has more drops?

Welker seems to drop a lot of balls.

Edelman will have more catches, mainly because Manning is so good at spreading it around

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who catches more passes Sunday?
Who has more drops?

I fail to see how this relates to Chris Harris and his torn ACL.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am pretty confident that Champ is up to the task of moving outside if we go that route. He has looked good covering the slot the past several weeks and I don't think that the Pats have the speedy WRs that Champ has seemed to struggle with most the past year or so. If we do move Champ to LCB in the base defense, I wouldn't be surprised to see him move back inside in nickel and dime packages. Hopefully he and all of the other defensive players have outstanding games. I really feel like we will score a lot of points, so limiting the Pats offense is a likely key to victory.