• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chip Kelly hired!

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to call Kaep good but the O-Line this year was terrible they really only had two good guys in Boone and Staley the rest were garbage so that didn't help him develop.
Yes the only good thing out of this is we found out that Brown and Tiller can play and should give us nice depth next year especially if Davis comes back. We also get a full healthy year of training from Kilgore. This Oline can turn from bad to good real quick.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's already in the building..

Man I am excited. I cant wait for next year now. Im actually happy about this move. At first I wasnt but when you really look into it its a great hire for the 49ers. I just hope he lands the right DC and doesnt bump heads with Baalke or york. Just coach.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing the Niners, they'll find a way to win the last game of the season and lose the top pick. Watson looked really good against a very good Alabama team.
I was very impressed by him in that game: Both his mobility and his accuracy.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson reminds me of Wilson. I dont know if i want Watson. Lets See what next year brings.
Ha ha! Not surprising since you thought Kaepernick was great.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I am excited. I cant wait for next year now. Im actually happy about this move. At first I wasnt but when you really look into it its a great hire for the 49ers. I just hope he lands the right DC and doesnt bump heads with Baalke or york. Just coach.

This is pretty much how I feel. Go Chip! Go Niners!

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is pretty much how I feel. Go Chip! Go Niners!

I'm warming up to the decision...initially I was like "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCK!!!!", but the way I see it, as long as he's just the X's and O's guy, I think he and Balke might have something to build on. Well that and 50 million in cap space, and 12 draft picks. Our Oline could be markedly better next year if healthy which will help volumes.

Kelly + Balke + York ='s Two Jerks and a Squirt...who knows...maybe a winning combination?

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...I've had some time to think about it, and I still don't know how to view the Kelly hire.

First, the obvious. SF needs an offensive oriented guy, and the list of HC's in NFL history that Jim Tomsula looks down on is pretty short. Kelly should be an upgrade in that sense. After that, it gets a bit murky...

It's definitely a good thing as of right now, Baalke is still the top guy when it comes to personnel....not that there is a lot of top-flight guys to jettison. I hear and read a lot about how Kelly bombed out in Philly - and he certainly did - but it won't happen in SF for the exact same reasons. Most of that was due to Kelly the GM and not Kelly the coach (although I have some gripes there as well.) A lot of that GM stuff he pulled was out of pure ego, and he got his ass kicked for it, which leads me to Colin Kaepernick.

Pretty much everyone assumes that this means Kaepernick is automatically gonna be coming back, and I'd lean in that direction, but I have some problems with that. Sure, Kaepernick is the type of QB that fits Kelly's offense, but I just see a shot guy with limited accuracy and football intelligence. Will Kelly's ego supercede any logic....making him believe he can salvage the guy? If he goes that route, and fails...how long will he last as HC? I'd rather go after a new QB such as Goff, and run with that. The only real benefit is that if Kaepernick flounders in Chip Kelly's system, that should be the last nail in the coffin in regards to how good he can be as a QB in the NFL.

Speaking of his offense...I noticed that not only did he change parts of his offense when it came to the players....but also the concepts. His offense the first two years was a run-oriented system looking for the big play. Run first, or bubble screens and passes to the flat, just setting up massive chunk plays. He had the vital components, except for QB, and he pissed them all away. His running was mainly between the tackles, but last year he ran a lot more sweeps, and Murray is a one-cut downfield runner...a terrible fit if you ask me. Some of that is probably the offensive line, which was pretty much upper echelon as late as 2014, but was noticeably worse this past year. He also thew a lot more in 2015. In the end, Kelly never really adjusted, and that is problematic. It screams of ego and arrogance....you need the talent far more than you need a system.

I'm also not a big fan of the offensive throttle at full tilt 24/7. I wouldn't want it that way even if he had the 2013 team with Joe Montana at QB.......I definitely want to see him mix it up and actually manage the game on game day.

I'll give him a chance, because it's all still a big unknown - despite a lot of opinions - but it's with great trepidation.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I nailed it when I thought SF was a serious destination for him.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure it was that serious. They were just running out of options

But Jed and Trent did a thorough search, and after all the exhausting interviews, Chip was the man for the job. He was their man all along, a leader of men, the one who will take the Niners to the promised land.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Jed and Trent did a thorough search, and after all the exhausting interviews, Chip was the man for the job. He was their man all along, a leader of men, the one who will take the Niners to the promised land.

LOL, Baalke ran through all the pontential Parcell tree people and couldn't land any of them. I am thinking with HJ the issue was over control.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just waiting for them to promote Geep Chryst to head coach.
Geepsus Chryst I'm glad that didn't happen.

LOL, Would have never been GC. If anything, he was probably going to get canned anyway. Would have been Mangini, the whole Parcells/Belichek connection. I seriously would have boycotted if that happened.

BOB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
#Eagles QB coach Ryan Day expected to join the staff of #49ers coach Chip Kelly, sources say, either as QB coach or offensive coordinator

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3