• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chicago Bears OFFICIAL Free Agency Thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Rich remember last year I wanted Gurley in the first? Well this year there is nobody I want in the first 3.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing CJ Anderson would make sense.

I like the way Pace handles Free Agency.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first day of FA is always fun...but I'm really more interested in what Pace does with the 2nd and 3rd tier Free Agents and those multiple ONE year deals he's going to have to do in the next month or so. Going to be interesting.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a thought- With all this cap space and not a whole lot of huge talent available... wouldn't now be a great time to resign Kyle Long his long term deal? He'll be a free agent after next year. Get that done. IMO.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Rich remember last year I wanted Gurley in the first? Well this year there is nobody I want in the first 3.

What do you mean by the first 3?

And no... I don't remember Gurley specifically. Just that you are/were stuck in a time capsule and for some reason and believe that it's 1976 and drafting RB in the first round is a viable option for a team still trying to put itself together.

Thank god we didn't draft Gurley. We got a RB in the 4th round who is a better pass catcher (more receptions and yards than Gurley in only two starts in 2015, versus Gurley's 12), and could very possibly produce at or near his level for a fraction of the price.

I do not want Todd Gurley. Once Gurley reaches the end of his rookie contract and wants a big pay day... neither should the Rams.

Gurley 2015: 12 starts... 10 TD's 1294 yards from scrimmage

Carey/Langford (Primarily in backup roles): 3 Combined Starts... 10 TD's 1,014 yards from scrimmage

Hmm... Yeah, that 10-15 mil per year pay day he's going to get, will really be worth those 290 extra yards so far that he's put together more than our two platooning BACKUP running back's. Do I really have to go through that drawn out analysis again, of how easy it is to find production at RB in the NFL these days?

Running Back... is... Dead.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean by the first 3?

And no... I don't remember Gurley specifically. Just that you are/were stuck in a time capsule and for some reason and believe that it's 1976 and drafting RB in the first round is a viable option for a team still trying to put itself together.

Thank god we didn't draft Gurley. We got a RB in the 4th round who is a better pass catcher (more receptions and yards than Gurley in only two starts in 2015, versus Gurley's 12), and could very possibly produce at or near his level for a fraction of the price.

I do not want Todd Gurley. Once Gurley reaches the end of his rookie contract and wants a big pay day... neither should the Rams.

Gurley 2015: 12 starts... 10 TD's 1294 yards from scrimmage

Carey/Langford (Primarily in backup roles): 3 Combined Starts... 10 TD's 1,014 yards from scrimmage

Hmm... Yeah, that 10-15 mil per year pay day he's going to get, will really be worth those 290 extra yards so far that he's put together more than our two platooning BACKUP running back's. Do I really have to go through that drawn out analysis again, of how easy it is to find production at RB in the NFL these days?

Running Back... is... Dead.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ richig. I thought Gurley was BPA last year. BPA is BPA. I don't care for Langford at all and I don't think Fox does either. I predict we take a RB early. Fox does not conform to your believe that RB is not a viable option.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1976 or 2176 either way you need a run game.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears expected to land Danny Trevathan! 26 year old ILB from the Denver Broncos!

Also, many consider Bears front runners for DE Akiem Nicks.
Trevathan is undersized but a good coverage LB.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He seems to grade out very well everywhere I've seen at run defending as well.

Per PFF...

Trevathan, meanwhile, is a more complete player. He’s one of only three inside linebackers with cumulative season grades of +7.0 or higher in both coverage and run defense. After boosting his overall grade with his excellent performance on Monday Night Football, Trevathan has moved up to fifth overall in our rankings, and that’s despite coming off the field fairly frequently (692 total snaps). He’s on a hot streak too, with positive grades in each of the past 12 games. Trevathan has made 34 stops from 285 snaps, giving him a run stop percentage of 11.9 ,which is seventh at the position. Despite giving up a few more plays than his teammate, Trevathan is currently our third-highest graded inside linebacker in coverage, behind only Kuechly and Derrick Johnson. Overall, he’s given up 30 catches from 41 yards for 323 yards, two touchdowns, two interceptions, and three passes defensed. Only three other inside linebackers have made more plays than Trevathan’s five combined picks and pass deflections. He’s not selling out for big plays, either, with a respectable catch rate allowed of 73.2.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mario is now in his 30's and really lost a step last year. That's not the type of signing you make when you're rebuilding. They're completely imploding. It's a circus down there.

we will see. he was put into the same position most of our DE's were put in last off season instead of Ryan using his talent to do something special with the defense. Look at Damarcus Ware in his 30's and what he did with his new life in Denver. You need the talented veterans while you are drafting their replacements.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont know about MAssie, if the guy was learning right tackle in the NFL so he could grow and move to left, good.

All the CJ anderson talk makes little sense after resigning JaQuizz again.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good 1st day of FA for Pace and Fox.

Trevathan is a great young player, going nowhere but up. Instantly upgrades our ILB. Solid tackler, great in space and a solid run defender. Excellent pick-up IMO.

Don't know much about Massie, but he was good enough to start on a much better team than the Bears, so....

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2x Pro Bowl selection and Ex-Bengals TE Jermaine Gresham to visit Bears

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking for volunteers to put up a human barricade around Halas Hall once Hicks arrives. I don't want him to leave.

This...

Houston/Hicks at each 5 technique. Goldman at the nose. Sutton, Ego, Unrein etc... rotating in. McPhee/Young coming off of the edge. Then Trevathan and (maybe an early draft pick?) at ILB. The front seven is turning into something that could finally take off under Fangio.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wish Thompson would have called a well. They say they want Matthews outside again and this could have taken care of that probllem

New Bears LB Danny Trevathan: 'I wish' Packers would've called me

Danny Trevathan's decision to leave the Broncos to join the Bears makes sense on every level. He wanted to get paid and the Bears entered free agency with the third-most cap space in the league. He plays middle linebacker, a position the Bears desperately needed to fill. And, he gets to play with the coach who drafted and developed him, John Fox.

Perfect marriage, right?

It certainly seemed like that was the case. Right up until Trevathan revealed on Thursday that he was hoping to receive a call from the Packers so he could sign with them.

That perfect marriage might need some counseling.

"I wish they would have, but they didn't," Trevathan told NFL Network. "My guy Randall Cobb is over there, but they didn't so I'm here with Chicago."

Luckily for the Bears, their rivals to the north don't often spend money in free agency. The Bears, on the other hand, were willing to hand Trevathan a four-year, $24.5-million contract that includes $12 million in guarantees.

Again, that's a deal the Bears should be happy with. Because, next fall, Aaron Rodgers probably won't be playing against a defense that looks this lost:

Trevathan, still only 25 years old, recorded 109 combined tackled and two interceptions during the 2015 season. Despite vocalizing his interest in the Packers, Trevathan didn't seem to mind his final destination.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Thompson would have called a well. They say they want Matthews outside again and this could have taken care of that probllem

New Bears LB Danny Trevathan: 'I wish' Packers would've called me

Danny Trevathan's decision to leave the Broncos to join the Bears makes sense on every level. He wanted to get paid and the Bears entered free agency with the third-most cap space in the league. He plays middle linebacker, a position the Bears desperately needed to fill. And, he gets to play with the coach who drafted and developed him, John Fox.

Perfect marriage, right?

It certainly seemed like that was the case. Right up until Trevathan revealed on Thursday that he was hoping to receive a call from the Packers so he could sign with them.

That perfect marriage might need some counseling.

"I wish they would have, but they didn't," Trevathan told NFL Network. "My guy Randall Cobb is over there, but they didn't so I'm here with Chicago."

Luckily for the Bears, their rivals to the north don't often spend money in free agency. The Bears, on the other hand, were willing to hand Trevathan a four-year, $24.5-million contract that includes $12 million in guarantees.

Again, that's a deal the Bears should be happy with. Because, next fall, Aaron Rodgers probably won't be playing against a defense that looks this lost:

Trevathan, still only 25 years old, recorded 109 combined tackled and two interceptions during the 2015 season. Despite vocalizing his interest in the Packers, Trevathan didn't seem to mind his final destination.
Ted Thompson rarely participates in free agency.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mold firmly into chip. Places squarely on shoulder.