• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chase's Balls

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Chris Simms named him the best WR in the NFL. There isn't a WR I'd take over him either..

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's hypothetically say that if the 2021 draft was to occur again, with some insight into right now...

Would the 49ers have decided to pick Lance or Ja'Marr Chase? Granted, they still had to trade up to #3, so they are losing all those 1st round picks, but would you take the QB of the future not knowing right now if he is still the guy (because he has hardly played his rookie year), or do you take Ja'Marr Chase and couple him with Deebo Samuel, Brandon Ayuk and let Jimmy G continue to throw them the ball?

Is this a conflicted decision for them at that time, or is the QB still guy they have to draft because of the trade up to #3 with that draft capital? What would make them a better team this year? What makes them a better team into the future?

Thoughts?

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's hypothetically say that if the 2021 draft was to occur again, with some insight into right now...

Would the 49ers have decided to pick Lance or Ja'Marr Chase? Granted, they still had to trade up to #3, so they are losing all those 1st round picks, but would you take the QB of the future not knowing right now if he is still the guy (because he has hardly played his rookie year), or do you take Ja'Marr Chase and couple him with Deebo Samuel, Brandon Ayuk and let Jimmy G continue to throw them the ball?

Is this a conflicted decision for them at that time, or is the QB still guy they have to draft because of the trade up to #3 with that draft capital? What would make them a better team this year? What makes them a better team into the future?

Thoughts?
I think, in general, if you are picking in the top 5 and you don't have a franchise qb, then you need to take a QB. They clearly never felt that Jimmy G was the long-term solution.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll also note that there are so many good receivers in the game and probably more coming out of college. I'd always go QB first.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Thoughts?

I think the Niners trade was rooted in a very specific circumstance. If you take QB out of the equation they arguably have the best roster in the NFL so they traded up for a QB not just to improve at that position but also to potentially free up cap space to sign their young impending FAs. The money they save on the rookie QB deal allows them to keep Bosa, Samuel etc

In a vacuum I do pick an All Pro WR over a question mark at QB

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just as an observation on Chase, before the draft I saw comparisons to Steve Smith and that's exactly who he reminded me of last season.
He's not the most iconic name but if Steve Smith was 6'0 and played with a QB the caliber of Burrow he'd be an easy 1st ballot HOFer. Really underrated player.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true but I think Chase might be one of those special WR who are irreplaceable
I certainly think he is the best. What he did last year, at his age, and coming off a full year off of football was pretty special. I just don't think a receiver can truly live up to potential unless they play with a good QB - Without the QB, there will always be a barrier to hitting the high mark.