• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Charles Woodson going to be cut

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1340215361_bird_uses_bait_to_catch_fish.gif

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love me some Charles Woodson but damn how old is he now

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we don't tag Goldson again and lose him, Woodson could be an option. We'd definitely draft a safety/move Culliver. A cheap short term (1 yr) incentive based contract would be the way to go - but I'm not sure how much he'll be worth on the open market. Put a maximum figure on him and if a team outbids you let him go. He would be good for our young safeties and corners.

Rather tag Goldson again at this point if no long term contract can be reached, but then we'll likely lose Sopoaga. If we use an early pick on a NT to fill that role, we probably won't get much for another year. But then with Sopoaga only getting around 30 snaps, it might be worth it. Just get a versatile DE early on. So there would be a ton of other factors going into this move.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart move by the Packers, the NFL let his replacement cheat just as much as they let Woodson cheat. Save the 5 or 6 million and go with the 2nd year guy.

As to bringing him in... were you watching the 2 games against Green Bay this year?? The 49ers completely exploited him in pass coverage and run coverage, he is slow as shit now.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to bringing him in... were you watching the 2 games against Green Bay this year?? The 49ers completely exploited him in pass coverage and run coverage, he is slow as shit now.

Lol, everytime I see that Kaepernick run I crack up. Looks like Woodson is sitting still as he pulls away.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, everytime I see that Kaepernick run I crack up. Looks like Woodson is sitting still as he pulls away.

The Frank Gore TD week 1 is just as amusing for me to watch too, woooomp, right around his slow ass.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He was also bouncing back from a broken collarbone and probably playing pretty hurt. You'd be getting him on the cheap and he might be able to give you some good production for the short term. My thing is that I'd really want a veteran option back there if we lose Goldson and cut Whitner (salary), and you'd be getting him really cheap. You could plan to start him in the beginning of the season and then pass the torch off to a rookie halfway through the year. The benefit is that he'd be passing a lot of knowledge off to the young DB's which could very easily consist of a rookie safety and rookie CB next year, along with Culliver who can use some on field coaching, and who might be transitioned back to his natural FS position.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to sign Goldson long term and cut Whitner. I don't really think that Woodson would do much for us considering our weakness is pass coverage, something he can no longer do effectively.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, I'm definitely not in the sign the dinosaur S camp, but if we can't sign Goldson and Whitner is cut, then a veteran is a must. Imagine having two rookie Safeties starting next year? There's no way that is going to happen so it's good to start looking at Vet options early for worst case scenarios.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to sign Goldson long term and cut Whitner. I don't really think that Woodson would do much for us considering our weakness is pass coverage, something he can no longer do effectively.

This - and oh yeah, THIS!!

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo he'd be a good signing if he wanted to gun for a championship

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Frank Gore TD week 1 is just as amusing for me to watch too, woooomp, right around his slow ass.

And Frank Gore is not that fast by NFL standards. That is not a good sign for Woodson.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm definitely not in the sign the dinosaur S camp, but if we can't sign Goldson and Whitner is cut, then a veteran is a must. Imagine having two rookie Safeties starting next year? There's no way that is going to happen so it's good to start looking at Vet options early for worst case scenarios.

With that argument, Ed Reed >>>>>>> Charles Woodson.

As NFL History gets written, it is pretty much Ronnie Lott followed by Ed Reed as GOAT safeties.

Both FAs, and Ed Reed can still play.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. That is what convinced me that Woodson is done.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
woodson may be done as a corner but he can transition to free safety

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He played SS last year and I don't think he has the wheels to play FS - I think he is done, or to near to take a flyer.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's been playing safety. Dude is done. Maybe as a backup that can provide some veteran guidance at the vet minimum; but that's about it.

Agree that I'd rather have Reed if we have to go that route.