• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cecil Lammey with a pretty good analysis

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver Broncos vs. New York Giants: Breaking Down Denver's Game Plan | Bleacher Report

He knows his football, but sometimes he says some questionable things. I think he assumes a few things and does not do proper research, as he gets a few things wrong, some terminology and outright mistake on the type of formation they are using.

This one caught my eye as being stupid: In the play below, we see their base offense out of the pistol formation. They are using 11 personnel here and Manning is waiting to see how the defense is going to cover slot receiver Wes Welker.

No shit Cecil. They are using 11 personnel there. Really? Are you sure it's not 10 or 12?:lol:

But otherwise, some good analysis.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is interesting. Thanks for posting it.

I had also never heard of "11 personnel", so I googled it and found this, which explains that it apparently refers to an offensive set featuring one RB, one TE, and three WRs.

Breaking Down NFL Offensive Personnel Groupings | Bleacher Report

One aspect of this game that I'm interested in is not addressed by Lammey, namely, will we blitz Eli as much as we did against Flacco? I was surprised by how frequently we blitzed last week and I don't recall Del Rio blitzing that much last year. The Lammey piece does seem to me to highlight how much better the NYG WRs are than the Ravens WR and I think that Eli has pretty good ability to get the ball out quickly, so I'm guessing that we don't blitz as much this week.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had also never heard of "11 personnel", so I googled it and found this, which explains that it apparently refers to an offensive set featuring one RB, one TE, and three WRs.

Breaking Down NFL Offensive Personnel Groupings | Bleacher Report

One aspect of this game that I'm interested in is not addressed by Lammey, namely, will we blitz Eli as much as we did against Flacco? I was surprised by how frequently we blitzed last week and I don't recall Del Rio blitzing that much last year. The Lammey piece does seem to me to highlight how much better the NYG WRs are than the Ravens WR and I think that Eli has pretty good ability to get the ball out quickly, so I'm guessing that we don't blitz as much this week.

Spot on. We need to hope that Our D-line can get pressure. Eli made a lot of mistakes last week. I doubt they will have anywhere close to 6 turnovers again, but if we can get to him, he may give us a gift or two, and they may be all the difference in this game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends on your definition of blitzing. We blitzed on about 1/3 of our plays if I remember right. When I say it depends on your definition I am meaning does it have to have more than four blitzers to be considered an actual blitz because the broncos did a ton of zone blitzes that still only sent four people

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it depends on your definition of blitzing. We blitzed on about 1/3 of our plays if I remember right. When I say it depends on your definition I am meaning does it have to have more than four blitzers to be considered an actual blitz because the broncos did a ton of zone blitzes that still only sent four people

Yeah, I guess that is an important distinction, since a zone blitz is less risky (at least in principle) if the defense is unable to pressure or sack the QB, since we still have seven back in coverage. While I don't recall a "ton" of zone blitzes, I do recall a couple of them, one where Phillips dropped into coverage and one where Ayers dropped back. Based on that, I think that dropping Phillips back is better than dropping Ayers back.

Barrelman Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, 11 personnel refers to the number of RBs and TEs.

But Cecil is great. He quoted my Twitter in one of his articles so he obviously knows what he's talking about ;)

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it was the context of how he used it. It read to me like 11 personell, not 11 formation.

I must be getting old, lol.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Cecil for the most part.

But i remember last year, he was on the radio with Jim Armstrong, after the Broncos lost to Houston at home and was going on about how Manning did not have any arm strength and was never going to have the passing production he did before the injury, blah, blah, blah......

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I guess that is an important distinction, since a zone blitz is less risky (at least in principle) if the defense is unable to pressure or sack the QB, since we still have seven back in coverage. While I don't recall a "ton" of zone blitzes, I do recall a couple of them, one where Phillips dropped into coverage and one where Ayers dropped back. Based on that, I think that dropping Phillips back is better than dropping Ayers back.

Well from what I can tell about a 1/3 of our blitzing was done in the zone blitz method. So maybe a ton was too strong of a word but it was one that the Broncos used more than they have in the past.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which basically means you ignore me (not suprising) because I have been using that for at least a year now TD and have even explained it.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which basically means you ignore me (not suprising) because I have been using that for at least a year now TD and have even explained it.

LOL Sorry fella. I would never intentionally ignore you. Rather, I probably just misunderstood you. My reading comprehension is not great, so I might sometimes miss even the most critical parts of your fascinating posts.

By the way, have you looked at the fantasy scoreboard this week? Quite a beating my son's team handed yours this week!

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Sorry fella. I would never intentionally ignore you. Rather, I probably just misunderstood you. My reading comprehension is not great, so I might sometimes miss even the most critical parts of your fascinating posts.

By the way, have you looked at the fantasy scoreboard this week? Quite a beating my son's team handed yours this week!

Yes, yes. Once again this year I log into the draft an hour after it is over and you question your reading comprehension. And fascinating posts? Nah, I just try to be as big of a buffoon as possible.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, yes. Once again this year I log into the draft an hour after it is over and you question your reading comprehension. And fascinating posts? Nah, I just try to be as big of a buffoon as possible.

LOL Did JB make your first picks for you? I see you got Andre Johnson, Hakeem Nicks, and Steven Jackson, so you must have gotten a few good players before you showed up.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Did JB make your first picks for you? I see you got Andre Johnson, Hakeem Nicks, and Steven Jackson, so you must have gotten a few good players before you showed up.

No, I missed the entire thing and I would not have made any of those picks, but beggars cannot be choosers.