• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

cbssports top 50 2013 prospects

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised not to see Jackson Jeffcoat from Texas on that list. I'm not quite as big a fan of his as some people (yet), but he's still a highly regarded prospect.

they have him as #22 on that list

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree. Nothing against Wilson, but the only thing that's gonna stop Hunter is an injury.

2013 is looking like a STRONG non-QB class. At this point WR & DE / 3-4 OLB look like the strongest positions for the next draft. DT could be pretty stong too. Wish the Niners got an extra pick somehow.

Agreed. 2013 looks like a real strong class compared to '12. I'm not a HUGE fan of any of the QBs yet, but it's quite possibly the strongest senior QB class we've had in some time:

- Matt Barkley
- Landry Jones
- Tyler Wilson
- Geno Smith
- Jeff Tuel
- Sean Renfree
- Mike Glennon

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No. I was hoping in the 2012 draft that the Niners could somehow get an extra pick in the 2013 draft by trading down (or trade up for Decastro). Why would that be sarcasm? You don't think the 2013 class looks strobger than the 2012 class?

Didn't we get 3 extra picks in next year's draft during this year's, plus we have the pick from the Mays' trade. None of them are really high picks, but we have 11 picks right now for next year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
they have him as #22 on that list

Oops! Either control F, my eyes or my spelling is to blame on that one. :redface: I choose to blame control F.

Didn't we get 3 extra picks in next year's draft during this year's, plus we have the pick from the Mays' trade. None of them are really high picks, but we have 11 picks right now for next year.

Just colour me greedy. I was hoping for another first somehow.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

13 picks actually.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
- Matt Barkley
- Landry Jones
- Tyler Wilson
- Geno Smith
- Jeff Tuel
- Sean Renfree
- Mike Glennon

Who's your favourite draft-eligible QB at this point?

If someone put a gin to my head and said I had to draft one right now I'd actually take Landry Jones. I know, that goes against what most people think right now, and he has areas on which he needs a lot of work. But I just think of all the QBs I've seen his throwing mechanics are the best. The single biggest issue at which I look is how quickly they survey the field, make a decision and execute that decision (surveying the field probably being the most important part, but a quick release sure does help). I'd have to take a closer look at that one aspect, but right now the QB who looks like he has the quickest release (with a very good arm) is Jones.

I'm not a big Barkley fan. I think he's an average to slightly above average NFL QB. He'll have to show me something really special this year to change my mind.

Tyler Bray is obviously a tempting prospect, but I think he stays another year. If he keeps progressing well, he'll probably pass up Jones in my mind by the end of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I thought they got an extra 3rd, 5th & 6th on draft day. Mays makes 11; where are the other two?

Two comp picks for Snyder and Morgan. They're not guaranteed, but odds are we will. With those 2 we'd have 13, the most out of any team in the 2013 draft.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If someone put a gin to my head and said I had to draft one right now I'd actually take Landry Jones. I know, that goes against what most people think right now, and he has areas on which he needs a lot of work. But I just think of all the QBs I've seen his throwing mechanics are the best. The single biggest issue at which I look is how quickly they survey the field, make a decision and execute that decision (surveying the field probably being the most important part, but a quick release sure does help). I'd have to take a closer look at that one aspect, but right now the QB who looks like he has the quickest release (with a very good arm) is Jones.

I'm not a big Barkley fan. I think he's an average to slightly above average NFL QB. He'll have to show me something really special this year to change my mind.

Tyler Bray is obviously a tempting prospect, but I think he stays another year. If he keeps progressing well, he'll probably pass up Jones in my mind by the end of the season.

I would love to get Landry Jones. He's been one of my favorites for quite some time. He has correctable issues IMO. I like Barkley as well, but i want to see a bigger variety of passes this year. Last year he threw a lot of screens to Woods.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't have a personal favorite right now. IF you had a gun to my head, I'd probably go with Bray based on potential or Tyler Wilson.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First 2013 NFL draft Big Board
In a Big Board dominated by underclassmen, East Lansing is well-represented
Originally Published: May 9, 2012
By Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN Insider

The first Big Board of the years draws from a pool of about 40 to 50 players. So to get a glimpse of some guys that were right on the edge for me, I've also put together a list of 20 other players right on the edge of the first Big Board for 2013, and also went through about 50 names here.

A lot can happen in a college football season, but over the last few years, of the top 10 guys on this first list of the year (54 weeks away from the draft) about 50 percent have gone on to be top-10 picks. (Andrew Luck was in the group twice.) Remember, I'd expect a few of the guys listed here as underclassmen to return. This list is about current draft stock, but it's no guarantee a guy will come out, or where he will be taken. As always, juniors and draft-eligible sophomores are noted with an asterisk. Please consider the descriptions, which will discuss context in many cases. That said, let's begin the debate for the 2013 NFL draft.

1 Matt Barkley
DOB: 9/8/90
HT: 6-2
WT: 224
POS: QB
Would have battled Robert Griffin III to be No. 2 QB taken had he been in the 2012 draft. Will have very good competition to be the No. 1 QB taken in 2013. Strong, but not a huge arm; very good accuracy, poise, leadership skills and a ton of experience. Improvement each year, expanding his skill-set.
LAST WEEK: NA | PLAYER CARD

2 Jarvis Jones *
DOB: 10/13/89
HT: 6-3
WT: 241
POS: OLB
Explosive, relentless edge rusher, profiles well as a 3-4 OLB. Great first step, violent hands, extremely good burst off the snap, tackles well, closes fast. Could improve against run, but coaches there also tell me people don't realize how well he can cover.

3 Barkevious Mingo *
DOB: 10/4/90
HT: 6-5
WT: 242
POS: DE
Exceptional length, still adding refinement, but he's well past a mere "athlete" label. Very good pass rusher, able to use speed to get up the field and turn the corner. Still learning concepts after late start in football, but reads game well given lack of experience. Upside city.

4 Logan Thomas *
DOB: 7/1/91
HT: 6-6
WT: 262
Elite size, elite arm strength, and still scratching the surface as a passer. Overlooked: has very good mechanics. Can drive the ball downfield, but displays nice touch. Accuracy and the ability to work through reads are areas of development. Working hard off the field. New O-line this year.

5 Sam Montgomery *
DOB: 5/25/90
HT: 6-4
WT: 245
Lacks the frame of a 4-3 DE at next level, but could still get there, because his frame can handle it. Athleticism and rush skills are there, underrated against the run. Max-effort player, natural athlete, instinctive pass-rusher. Can he drop hips as a LB at next level? Still a lot of projection left.

6 D.J. Fluker *
DOB: 3/13/91
WT: 335
POS: OT
Strength is pass-blocking; quick feet for his size and can ride a speed rush up the field. Must improve ability to use size and engage and drive defenders as a run-blocker. Can dominate here if pad level improves. A lot of natural talent, but development left.

7 Robert Woods *
DOB: 4/10/92
HT: 6-1
WT: 185
POS: WR
Refined, quick, crafty and productive receiver with soft hands and ability to create big plays after the catch. Gets off the line well, uses space along sidelines and in the corners of the end zone like a pro. Has a second gear to beat defenders deep.

8 David Amerson *
DOB: 12/8/91
WT: 189
POS: CB
Exceptional cover skills, with instincts and ability of a ballhawk. Size and speed to match up with any receiver, but plays with a sense of when to jump from routes and dive into passing lanes. Led nation in INTs last year. Very competitive kid.

9 Star Lotulelei
DOB: 12/20/89
WT: 325
POS: DT
Demands a double-team, clogging up the middle of the field. A great sense for how to disrupt the run game, with power to bull rush and penetrate. Explodes off the ball, with great upper body strength.

10 Manti Te'o
DOB: 1/26/91
WT: 255
POS: LB
Would have been second interior linebacker taken in 2012 draft after Luke Kuechly. Developed in 2011, showing blitzing skills. Big, strong tackling presence in the middle of the field. Reads plays well and gets through traffic.

11 Johnathan Hankins *
WT: 335
Gets off the line with an explosive first step; just moves tremendously well for his size. Drives opposing blockers into the backfield. Size of a nose tackle, but agile enough to be moved around. Very disruptive force on the line.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
12 Taylor Lewan *
DOB: 7/21/91
HT: 6-8
WT: 302
Will get the Jake Long comparisons all year in Ann Arbor. Elite length and athleticism for the position, profiles as a left tackle. Long arms, able to move with and swat away speed rushers. Underrated power as a run-blocker given his frame.

13 Tyler Wilson
DOB: 8/16/89
WT: 220
A deft passer, he calibrates his throws well, not over-throwing. Maybe the best passer in the class right now in terms of his ability to stare down pressure and deliver passes on time, and in stride. Could challenge the top of the board.

14 Johnny Adams
DOB: 6/9/89
HT: 5-11
WT: 178
Sound and instinctive zone corner, he attacks what he sees really well. Lacks elite size, but takes on bigger players and tackles well. Really good blitzer. Needs work on his man game, but very competitive. Great ball skills.

15 Kawann Short
DOB: 2/2/89
WT: 312
Controls the line of scrimmage, not overly explosive, but uses his hands well to clear blocks and was constantly in the backfield. A better fit in a 4-3. Big question: can he stay consistent? Good athlete -- can dunk a basketball.

16 Luke Joeckel *
DOB: 11/6/91
WT: 310
A starter at left tackle since he landed in College Station, Joeckel specializes in pass protection and doesn't get rattled by quickness or secondary moves. Not an elite athlete, he's a good technician and could rise on the board.

17 William Gholston *
DOB: 7/31/91
HT: 6-7
WT: 274
Great length and frame, with very good pass-rushing skills. Has grown into frame; now has solid 4-3 DE size. Experience shows; reads the play well, knowing when to go wide or come inside against the run. Could be in line for a huge year.

18 Keenan Allen *
DOB: 4/27/92
WT: 206
POS: WR
Would have been a great safety, too. Strong hands, catches the ball with ease. Sets up defenders, sees the field well, settling in creases against zones. Not a total burner, but can sell short routes and break deep. Great run-after-catch skills.

19 Marcus Lattimore *
DOB: 10/29/91
HT: 6-0
WT: 232
POS: RB
Will be watched closely as he comes back from an ACL injury. Should be full speed by the time the season gets going. Explosive, tighly-packed player who packs a punch but moves better than a player his size should. Elite if healthy.

20 Xavier Rhodes *
DOB: 6/19/90
WT: 209
Don't be fooled by the lack of interceptions -- you can't pick off passes when QBs consistently throw away from you. A starter since his freshman season, Rhodes has elite size, handles deep routes well, and can hang with smaller WRs. Solid prospect.

21 Le'Veon Bell *
DOB: 2/18/92
WT: 238
POS: RB
Big, bruising back who follows blocks well and will run over tacklers. Split carries the last two seasons, but might carry a bigger load in 2012. Not a burner, but has quick feet and can get wide where he won't run out of bounds. Finishes forward.

22 Johnthan Banks
DOB: 10/3/89
WT: 185
A very good man corner, he's excellent in his backpedal and turns well. Plenty of speed to stay with speedy WRs, has length to battle up high. A little slight, not considered physical, but tape shows he challenged line of scrimmage, piled up tackles for loss.

23 Corey Lemonier *
DOB: 2/19/91
WT: 245
Still light for a defensive end prospect, Lemonier could probably add some muscle to his frame without giving away too much speed. He thrives on quickness, with great burst off the snap and a few counters. A natural pass-rusher, he'll be one to watch.

24 Ricky Wagner
DOB: 10/21/89
WT: 320
Good combination of size and quickness, with good skills as a pass blocker, but looking to improve as a run-blocker, where he can play a little high. Will need to continue to develop.

25 Tyler Eifert *
DOB: 9/8/90
WT: 251
POS: TE
The blocking tight end is a bit of a misnomer in the NFL -- there just aren't that many, and coaches aren't looking. Eifert is the new class; a former WR, he catches the ball with ease and can split out and create size mismatches and stretch the seams. Top TE in the class.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Mel Kiper is really jumping the gun on Logan Thomas. He has a elite tools, and is my dark horse Heisman pick for 2012 (RG3 was in 2011), but 4th overall? Not even close at this point.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for posting Mel's 2013 Big Board Bingo.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't understand why most people have Mingo ranked ahead of Montgomery when Montgomery's been mostly working against LT's and Mingo's been going up against RT's. I know Mingo's a crazy good athlete, but so far Montgomery's been better IMO.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't understand why most people have Mingo ranked ahead of Montgomery when Montgomery's been mostly working against LT's and Mingo's been going up against RT's. I know Mingo's a crazy good athlete, but so far Montgomery's been better IMO.

Sick, I see your point, but this is a perfect example of "nitpicking" and regardless of who you select as a 3-4olb, will be one great SOB in the league at that position. Actually, Mingo has more of an upside as oppose to Mont. Mingo is an athlete playing football, and when the light eventually clicks...watch out. As I was saying though, it's like one of those who's a better receiver argument between Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. Does it really matter?!