• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

cbssports top 50 2013 prospects

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As usual I disagree with most of it but here it is:

1. QB Matt Barkley, USC
Doesn't have "wow" physical tools, but boasts the resume, leadership and decision-making to be a top pick in 2013

2. DE Barkevious Mingo*, LSU
This explosive edge rusher stood out on the Nation's most talented defensive line and will remind scouts of Von Miller

3. DT Johnathan Hankins*, Ohio State
Defensive linemen that are 335-pounds aren't supposed to move like he can, recording 11.0 tackles for loss in 2011

4. QB Tyler Wilson, Arkansas
He lost three of his top receivers to the draft and won't have Bobby Petrino on the sidelines, but the sky's the limit

5. WR Robert Woods*, Southern Cal
Like his QB, he won't test off-the-charts physically, but he's a polished route runner and knows how to get open

6. RB Marcus Lattimore*, South Carolina
A productive, well-built back with deceiving quickness, but how will he return from last year's knee injury?

7. QB Tyler Bray*, Tennessee
Bray looked like a future first rounder last year, but a broken thumb derailed his season, how will he respond in 2012?

8. DE Alex Okafor, Texas
The top defensive senior on this list, Okafor finished last season with 12.5 tackles for loss and 7.0 sacks

9. DT Star Lotulelei, Utah
At 6-4 and 325-pounds with his strength and agility, expect to hear a lot of Haloti Ngata player comparisons

10. LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
A fast, instinctive linebacker with a relentless playing style, will be first round pick next year if he cleans up his tackling

11. WR Justin Hunter*, Tennessee
12. DE Bjoern Werner*, Florida State
13. LB Jarvis Jones*, Georgia
14. WR Keenan Allen*, California
15. LB Sean Porter, Texas A&M
16. DE Corey Lemonier*, Auburn
17. CB Tyrann Mathieu*, LSU
18. CB David Amerson*, NC State
19. RB Montee Ball, Wisconsin
20. DE Brandon Jenkins, Florida State
21. OL Barrett Jones, Alabama
22. DE Jackson Jeffcoat*, Texas
23. DT Dominique Easley*, Florida
24. OT Taylor Lewan*, Michigan
25. RB Knile Davis, Arkansas
26. CB Johnathan Banks, Mississippi State
27. DE Sam Montgomery*, LSU
28. LB Kevin Reddick, North Carolina
29. DE William Gholston*, Michigan State
30. TE Tyler Eifert*, Notre Dame
31. DE Craig Roh, Michigan
32. G Chance Warmack, Alabama
33. QB Aaron Murray*, Georgia
34. DL John Simon, Ohio State
35. DT Kawann Short, Purdue
36. QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma
37. WR Kenny Stills*, Oklahoma
38. RB Joseph Randle*, Oklahoma State
39. G Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina
40. OT Oday Aboushi, Virginia
41. WR Terrance Williams, Baylor
42. OT DJ Fluker*, Alabama
43. S Robert Lester, Alabama
44. QB Logan Thomas*, Virginia Tech
45. S Tony Jefferson*, Oklahoma
46. WR DeAndre Hopkins*, Clemson
47. OT Ricky Wagner, Wisconsin
48. OT Xavier Nixon, Florida
49. DT Kwame Geathers*, Georgia
50. S TJ McDonald, USC

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know who Craig Roh is in Michigan. The name does not ring a bell. Dominique Easley has some great potentials, but I'm not sure if he should even be on the list of top 50. Logan Thomas has some rare physical attributes but still, he has a long way to go. Geno Smith is better than he is, and I wouldn't put Smith on that list. Mike Gennon is a better prospect than both of them. In sum, I'm not going to criticize him too much for his top 50 list. Everyone's list is sh8tty at this stage of the process. Can't wait to see everyone's updated list in October of November.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't know a majority of the players on that list.

I do know that Jeff Tuel and Daniel Simmons won't be off people's big boards for long. I rank Simmons right behind Tyrann and Amerson as of now -- he's that good in coverage.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know who Craig Roh is in Michigan. The name does not ring a bell. Dominique Easley has some great potentials, but I'm not sure if he should even be on the list of top 50. Logan Thomas has some rare physical attributes but still, he has a long way to go. Geno Smith is better than he is, and I wouldn't put Smith on that list. Mike Gennon is a better prospect than both of them. In sum, I'm not going to criticize him too much for his top 50 list. Everyone's list is sh8tty at this stage of the process. Can't wait to see everyone's updated list in October of November.

When do you think Geno Smith ultimately gets drafted Bingo? Maybe early 2nd? He's very intriguing to me. He's the kind of guy that I could see skyrocketing up the board next April.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can someone please explain the Jarvis Moss hype to me? He's usually in most top 5's, but all of the tape I've seen of him he looks to lack physical strength to play his position. He looks more like a safety to me. He's got to be the most over hyped player thus far.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Can someone please explain the Jarvis Moss hype to me? He's usually in most top 5's, but all of the tape I've seen of him he looks to lack physical strength to play his position. He looks more like a safety to me. He's got to be the most over hyped player thus far.

Is this Doc' Brown? Did you send that post from the past?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oh I see you meant Jarvis Jones...

If you put up 13.5 sacks your first season as a starter you're going to get a lot of hype. He's a stand up rusher who has shown some good power for his size and holds up well against the run.

He's not going to have amazing strength at the age of... what... 20? Especially at 240 or so pounds. But wait until he grows into that 6'3 frame and I think he'll be very tough to block.

19.5 TFL is great too.

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When do you think Geno Smith ultimately gets drafted Bingo? Maybe early 2nd? He's very intriguing to me. He's the kind of guy that I could see skyrocketing up the board next April.

This time last year, Robert Griffin was rated as a 2nd rounder. So anything can happen - I could definitely see him going in the top 15 iron out a couple wrinkles in his game. The guy has a very strong arm, a quick release, very mobile, and has just enough accuracy. However, he doesn't go through his progessions as much as you would like from a 1st-round prospect. He telegraphs most of his passes. Look at this footgage playing against probably the best defense in the collegiate level (future NFL players):

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm not nearly as high on Robert Woods as most people. Reminds me of Crabby, only he's a little more athletic. Just solid all around WR does most things right, but doesn't have the game speed of a top 5 WR IMO. Especially for a guy who's on the smaller side.

Maybe a poor man's Justin Blackmon.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Weird that this list has Mingo so far ahead of Montgomery. Montgomery usualy lines up at RDE right? I was more impressed with him than Mingo when I saw LSU's D.

Both could be great prospects though. 2013 could be a good year for pass rushers.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This time last year, Robert Griffin was rated as a 2nd rounder. So anything can happen - I could definitely see him going in the top 15 iron out a couple wrinkles in his game. The guy has a very strong arm, a quick release, very mobile, and has just enough accuracy. However, he doesn't go through his progessions as much as you would like from a 1st-round prospect. He telegraphs most of his passes. Look at this footgage playing against probably the best defense in the collegiate level (future NFL players):

Thanks Bingo. Good point on his progressions. He does tend to lock on to a target early. Also agree with "just enough accuracy"- that will need to improve too. I like his confidence and zip on his passes. He's still growing into his frame and he he's good at picking his spots on when he should run versus remaining in the pocket and looking down field. I really like his pocket presence at this point in his development.

My latest girl went to WVU, so I'll probably be watching quite a few of their games next year if we are still hanging out then. Their offense is exciting, but I'll miss Bruce Irvin on D (although he's a Seahawk now, so I hope his career is an epic fail).

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Craig Roh can be a monster if he wants to.

I think guys like LaMarcus Joyner, Andre Ellington, Ray Graham, Xavier Rhodes, Shayne Skov, Dee Milliner, Luke Joeckel, Cierre Wood, and Aaron Dobson should be on every top-50 list at this point

I actually have Dobson as a better prospect than both Robert Woods and Keenan Allen. It's still early though and a lot can change.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Craig Roh can be a monster if he wants to.

I think guys like LaMarcus Joyner, Andre Ellington, Ray Graham, Xavier Rhodes, Shayne Skov, Dee Milliner, Luke Joeckel, Cierre Wood, and Aaron Dobson should be on every top-50 list at this point

I actually have Dobson as a better prospect than both Robert Woods and Keenan Allen. It's still early though and a lot can change.

I gotta keep an eye on this Roh kid then.

Sick is right with his assessment of Woods in comparing him to Crabtree. Is that a bad thing for Woods? I don't think so, it just simply mean that teams shouldn't pick him that high (top 10).

Clyde, Dobson reminds me of Rueben Randle. You might not like that comparison but they bring the same skill set to the table IMO. Keenan Allen knows how to get upfield as soon as the ball touches his hand. I like that about him. He reminds me of Kenny Britt to some extent, but not as physically imposing.

calison3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As an FSU fan I'm surprised to see Werner at 12. He's really good but I would think Xavier Rhodes is the highest drafted FSU player next year. Tank Carradine will be a beast also.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I see you meant Jarvis Jones...

If you put up 13.5 sacks your first season as a starter you're going to get a lot of hype. He's a stand up rusher who has shown some good power for his size and holds up well against the run.

He's not going to have amazing strength at the age of... what... 20? Especially at 240 or so pounds. But wait until he grows into that 6'3 frame and I think he'll be very tough to block.

19.5 TFL is great too.

Yes that is who i meant. Sorry :yield:.

Maybe that is the case. I just see him get stuffed a lot. I consider him more of a 2nd round project right now.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yes that is who i meant. Sorry :yield:.

Maybe that is the case. I just see him get stuffed a lot. I consider him more of a 2nd round project right now.

You could be right. I don't solidify any opinions if any players (at most positions) 'til the combine. But so far he looks like a first rounder to me.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarvis Jones is an absolute stud. He's a top-5 prospect for me right now, and I might like him as a 3-4 rush LB as much as I liked Von Miller.

Keep an eye out for Alec Ogletree on Georgia's defense as well. He's a guy that should fly up draft boards when it's all said and done.

If people thought Alabama's defense had a bunch of NFL prospects last year, just wait for Georgia's this year. Jarvis Jones, John Jenkins, Kwame Geathers, Alec Ogletree, Cornelius Washington, Branden Smith, and Baccari Rambo.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If people thought Alabama's defense had a bunch of NFL prospects last year, just wait for Georgia's this year. Jarvis Jones, John Jenkins, Kwame Geathers, Alec Ogletree, Cornelius Washington, Branden Smith, and Baccari Rambo.

What aobut Shaun Williams?