• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CBS til Now

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In light of recent discussions about our recent discussions, I got to thinking about how everyone has their opinions and how some are right, and some are wrong. I thought I'd list some of my opinions I've had since I started posting regularly on CBS (2006ish) until now.

What I got right:

• I didn't like the Darryl Tapp selection.
  • Julian Peterson was one of the best free agent signings up until then.
  • John Carlson was a great pick.
  • Edgerrin James was washed up.
  • Chris Clemons was a great pass rusher who just needed more help.
  • Pete Carroll signing would turn the franchise around.
  • Leon Washington was going to be a difference maker on special teams.
  • Michael Robinson would be an unheralded leader and difference maker.
  • Signing Zach Miller was going to give us one of the best TEs in team history (though Carlson getting hurt kept us from seeing the proposed 2 TE sets I was really excited about).
  • Signing Brandon Browner was going to give the Hawks a great CB (and it turned out to be the start of the formation of the LOB).
  • Signing Matt Flynn was a mistake and that he wouldn't earn his contract.
  • Drafting Bobby Wagner - and him becoming a great LB.
  • Drafting Russell Wilson (I had him in the 6th, not in the 3rd) and that he was going to be our starter.
  • Drafting Robert Turbin
  • Drafting Richard Sherman (though I didn't expect him to be what he became, I just liked the converted WR aspect to his game and his size).
  • Braylon Edwards signing was a mistake and that he was washed up.
  • Drafting Christine Michael was a mistake, we already had Lynch/Turbin.
  • Byron Maxwell was a product of the system.
  • Justin Britt would become a good OLineman (just thought it at tackle - not center).
  • Cary Williams signing made no sense.
  • Drafting C.J. Prosise (have to see how he turns out before I can claim he is as good as I had hoped).
  • George Fant would be better than Bradley Sowell at LT, and that people would be surprised with how quickly he learns.

What I got wrong:

• Shaun Alexander re-signing was great.
  • Kelly Jennings would be a really good CB.
  • Losing Hutch wasn't as big an issue, since we still had Walt.
  • Patrick Kerney signing was a bad idea.
  • Deion Branch signing would be great.
  • Seahawks could make the playoffs in 2008.
  • A change in scenery is all Charlie Frye needed.
  • Aaron Curry selection was great and he would be a defensive star.
  • Julius Jones could be a very good starter for the Hawks.
  • T.J. Houshmandzadeh signing would be great.
  • Trading Aaron Curry so we could start a rookie (K.J. Wright) was a disaster.
  • Cameron Morrah would be a difference-maker at TE.
  • Golden Tate was overrated and wouldn't amount to anything in the league.
  • Mike Williams was a publicity stunt and wouldn't play a snap for Seattle.
  • Tarvaris Jackson would become a solid starting QB.
  • Thinking Robert Turbin would be the heir to Marshawn Lynch and could be a great #1 back.
  • Ricardo Lockette would develop into a really good receiver.
  • Percy Harvin trade was a good deal - since we rarely hit on our 1st rounders anyway.
  • John Lotuleilei would not only start for Seattle - but would have a better career than Star.
  • Tharold Simon would replace Brandon Browner and develop into a star in his own right.
  • Bryce Brown would come in and become the outright starter going into last year's playoffs.
  • Kelcie McCray would be as good as Kam Chancellor.
These are just some things off the top of my head, I didn't go look anything up. Just though it would be interesting to see.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno about John Carlson being great. One promising rookie season and endless injuries after that.

Otherwise a really interesting list.

I don't usually make prognostications about players as I think the coaching staff knows far more than I do about the players and my predictions boil down to random chance.

But I will say that I was right to push for Hass to be the starter over Dilfer which was a big debate on the boards at the time.

I also thought that CBJ should be given the starting job until proven he couldn't do it.

So 50/50 on those picks.

I thought the Ahman Green for Fred Vinson trade was a good one given our situation. Ooops.
I thought the Nate Odomes signing was a good one. Ooops.
I loved the Chad Brown signing and that worked out well.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me clarify John Carlson. I really liked him, and his 3 seasons before the injury in 2011 were pretty good. At the end of 2010, Carlson had the 1st (2008), 2nd (2009) and 9th (2010) best TE seasons in franchise history. IMO he's still got the best 2 TE seasons for Seattle (depending on how Graham finishes 2016). I don't know what happens with him if he doesn't tear his labrum in 2011, but up til then, Carlson was the best TE in team history (receiving). 3rd on list in catches, yards and 2nd in TDs in less than half the games of those ahead of him.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I've been right about over the years: Everything
What I've been wrong about: Nothing

My wife disagrees with that opinion because she's wrong.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, I was on ESPN back in the day. Two topics I know I was wrong on was:

I thought hiring Pete Carrol was a mistake.

Although I liked picking Wilson in the third round, I was against having him made the starter over Flynn.

My biggest blunder was before Al Gore invented the internet.... I was in the Army back in 1987 and I was so excited when the Boz was drafted. I was 27 years premature with my Super Bowl prediction. I caught a ton of shit when Bo Jackson treated Bosworth as a door mat.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I was so high on Aaron Curry I thought this man was going to lead the league in tackles for years he was suppose to be the best overall player on his draft class when the chiefs passed on him and we picked him up I was like damn this is going to be the start of something great.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really look back on the Flynn signing as a clear mistake. The team ended up giving him a lot of money, but it was just money....and him being brought in as the presumptive starter helped create the competitive situation at QB that resulted in RW becoming our starter in game 1 of his rookie season. Maybe that stuff still happens if Flynn isn't signed, but we only have 1 version of history to consider.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty skeptical of Carroll, having bought into the conventional wisdom narrative on him. I tend to not get caught predicting college guys success or failure, because I don't watch much college ball.

So I didn't buy in on Wilson until I saw those first couple of pre-season games.

As a Calgarian I watched Browner play here, so I was cautiously optimistic about his chances to make the team, didn't think he'd make that kind of impact though.

Someone mentioned being 'wrong' about giving the contract to Shaun Alexander, but I'd argue that it was STILL a good move. Just because it contributed to the 'culture' of Seattle being a team that rewards its players for production.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought (and still have in perfect condition) an Aaron Curry pro-style jersey when we drafted him. :tsk: