• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Caught in the draft ...2004

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone watch it on NFL Network?

Three major things drastically affected the Bills and their fans. Although it goes kind of unnoticed because of the Eli / Rivers thing.

1. Big Ben. Surely our eyes should have been on him. Cleveland traded up a couple picks before the Steelers to draft Winslow. Instead of the trade we made, we could have easily jumped in front of the Steelers (we were right behind them)and instead of Lee Evans, we could have had Roethlisberger.

2. JP Losman. How pathetic was this? So instead of trading up earlier to get Ben, we wait and go get Losman from the Cowboys. Giving up the next year's 1st rounder in the process.

3. Aaron Rodgers. Had we held our ground and not gone after Losman. Rodgers would have fell in our laps in '05.

Heck, even Matt Schaub went in the 4th of '04... could have been serviceable at least.

No first this year has a fella's mind wander. Although our team is stacked, only need one or two LB, one DB, and one OL, we are obviously still without a QB. Would we be forced to "reach" for Petty if we did have a 1st? I'm kind of glad we don't, and hope we use our current roster depth to allow us to throw some darts in the mid rounds this year at some QB's.

Just ranting....quiet lately.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been quiet for sure.

The Bills would've been in the mix for a potential 3rd 1st round QB at 19. I would hope they would focus on OG or OT there, or maybe CB. That could also be a sweet spot for the top LBs in the draft. Landon Collins might be a possibility there as well.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And like 80% of Bills fans were applauding or excusing the Losman pick. I immediately shredded it and got the usual "hater" and "negative nancy" complaints. You are just starting to see more writers lambast the Watkins debacle, but that will essentially crap on two drafts.

The Aaron Rodgers of 2004 is the Odell Beckham of 2014.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wouldn't have gotten complaints from me. Hated Losman and the move.

You may be right about Rodgers - Beckham comparisons, but Watkins is no Losman! The only thing though, is Mariota or Winston would have to fall to 19 to complete your thought.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watkins is no Losman in terms of talent at his position. Watkins could be an elite WR...Losman was always turd.

But Watkins is Losman from a draft analysis perspective. We will be going on Year 2 of botching two drafts on a WR for no reason (equal talent later without pooping away a 2015 pick) AND no QB to throw the ball to him. Finding Orton, who had some level of competency, was a near-miracle, but he wasn't going to get them to the promised land.

So Mariota/Winston really doesn't have to fall to 19 for my point. And what about this: IF they had a #1 pick, they could use it to package to trade up to get one of those guys. The Bucs probably wouldn't do that, but the Titans would likely be game for the right deal.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

So you'd suffer the consequences to get the number two pick this year? For Mariota?!! Wow. That trade up would be exponentially worse than Losman and Watkins. The sacrifice would be harsher, the money would be the destruction of the team and Mariota would most certainly NOT be the answer.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always scary when a team trades assets to go get a guy like Losman, whom most non-diehards probably hadn't heard much about leading up to the draft. I would say taking Manuel in the 1st was almost as bad as Losman, but JP takes the "award" as the Bills had to trade up into that position. At least the Bills traded down to get EJ.

Even from #19, it would be prohibitively expensive to trade up for Winston or Mariota, especially when you consider that Mariota will need development. The next tier (Hundley, Petty, Grayson) could all still be available for the Bills in the 2nd or 3rd, with Mannion perhaps a bit later. I wouldn't mind using a late pick on Bridge, Halliday, Bennett, or even Bonner either.

DenBronc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember someone on ESPN at the time saying that Losman was talented, but had the maturity of a three-year old or something. Moves like this are part of the reason why NE has dominated that division.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember someone on ESPN at the time saying that Losman was talented, but had the maturity of a three-year old or something. Moves like this are part of the reason why NE has dominated that division.

Well, that and drafting a HOF QB in the sixth round and keeping him for 15+ years...

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TKO: Make up your mind. First you make the point that it's irrelevant because the Bills would have to have a higher pick to get Mariota or Winston. I then bring up if they had the pick they could trade up to get him (which was in response to your presumed opinion that Mariota was good, required to make your first point) You then bag on Mariota. It's like debating Mitt Romney.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please tell me where I said Mariota was good?

You're confused. By trading for Losman (Watkins), we missed out on Rodgers (Mariota). Rodgers and Smith were the top two QB's going into the '05 draft. Winston and Mariota are this year. Assuming the comparison, Winston (Smith) would have to go 1st and Mariota (Rodgers) would have to slip to us. Oh yeah, and Mariota has to be equal to that of Aaron Rodgers, which is not happening.

At no time did I endorse trading up for Mariota, nor did I even state I like him.

I said we should have traded up a couple of picks to get Big Ben in '04...would have been cheaper than the Losman deal... or stand pat and had Rodgers in '05.

DenBronc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that and drafting a HOF QB in the sixth round and keeping him for 15+ years...

When NE drafted Brady, he wasn't exactly headed to the Hall of Fame. Heck, if he didn't lead NE to the playoffs his first year (against a weak schedule), the Pats may not have traded Bledsoe.

Brady has benefitted from being in the right system (and by alternate radio frequencies).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When NE drafted Brady, he wasn't exactly headed to the Hall of Fame. Heck, if he didn't lead NE to the playoffs his first year (against a weak schedule), the Pats may not have traded Bledsoe.

Brady has benefitted from being in the right system (and by alternate radio frequencies).

However, all of that DID happen, even if a sixth round pick wasn't originally expected to do so. That fortuitous pick has defined the Patriots more than anything Belichick has done in my opinion.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick is a cheater and a douchebag...but he's also the greatest coach in the NFL. I hate them and the Pats, but having seen them up close and personal for so many years, you have to be impressed. He's led them to quality seasons no matter the talent level every single year. Finds ways to get it done.

He even had them at 11-5 with Matt Cassell. Let's see if Rex can do the same.

DenBronc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick is a cheater and a douchebag...but he's also the greatest coach in the NFL. I hate them and the Pats, but having seen them up close and personal for so many years, you have to be impressed. He's led them to quality seasons no matter the talent level every single year. Finds ways to get it done.

He even had them at 11-5 with Matt Cassell. Let's see if Rex can do the same.

Yes, but Patriot fans like to gloss over that and say that it didn't mean anything, even though the guy hadn't played since high school.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but Patriot fans like to gloss over that and say that it didn't mean anything, even though the guy hadn't played since high school.

Just goes to show that college success doesn't necessarily mean as much as we think it does. Cassel was the #8 QB in the country coming out of high school yet couldn't win the starting job at USC, while Brady was the 7th string QB at Michigan initially as a freshman, sat behind Brian Griese for 2 years, then had to beat out Drew Henson to start as a sophomore.

Brady becomes a HOF QB, while Cassel becomes his backup, then journeyman sometimes-starting QB.