• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Case Keenum

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TD, your boy is starting for the Texans against KC:

Houston Texans name Case Keenum QB with Matt Schaub out - ESPN

LOL Yeah, I saw it reported on NFL Network that he was getting the start. I was excited about it and made a thread on the general board. Playing in his first regular season game, let alone starting, on the road at KC is less than ideal. Still, it is a big opportunity for him and I hope he plays well, of course. I actually think that he's a very good fit for the bootleg and play action stuff that Kubiak runs. If Houston is able to run effectively, then I could see him helping them pull a big upset. Would love for him to also help the Broncos by handing the Chefs their first loss. :suds:

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always like Keenum in college. He has the physical tools to be a good NFL QB. I'll be curiously watching Sunday hoping his NFL debut is a huge success.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope he has that career game. The Chiefs won't have a lot of film on him and really my guess is this one will be a very low scoring ball control kind of game and see who makes the first mistake.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Keenum's a classic Drop back QB with a quick release, he can do some damage. If not, I think he'll be in for a LONG game....

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Keenum's a classic Drop back QB with a quick release, he can do some damage. If not, I think he'll be in for a LONG game....

Can't really say that he's established himself as that, since he rarely took a snap from under center at UH. To me, though, he is perhaps comparable to the (hopefully) "good version" of Jake Plummer. A QB like that, as Broncos fans saw in 2005, is capable of effectively leading a Broncos style offense that includes a good running game and some throws down the field off of play action.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don`t know. There`s a reason he went undrafted. Although he had impressive stats with Cougars, they came vs meiocre at best competetion. If the Chiefs D doesn`t eat him up I`ll be surprised.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don`t know. There`s a reason he went undrafted. Although he had impressive stats with Cougars, they came vs meiocre at best competetion. If the Chiefs D doesn`t eat him up I`ll be surprised.

He actually didn't do too bad against good teams though. Now I know the sample size is small but his last year he played UCLA and went 30-40 for 310 yards with 2 touchdowns to 0 interceptions. In his bowl game against Penn State he went 45-69 for 532 yards with 3 touchdowns to 0 interceptions. Both of those were wins.

Before that he had a mixed bag against good teams where he had some outstanding and then some really bad games so it really depends with Keenum which version you get.

He definitely had the advantage of playing a lower class of teams to pad his stats but he still put up outstanding numbers and was very efficient.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ehhhh..... There's also a reason Tom Brady was picked in the 6th round.... Just saying.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He actually didn't do too bad against good teams though. Now I know the sample size is small but his last year he played UCLA and went 30-40 for 310 yards with 2 touchdowns to 0 interceptions. In his bowl game against Penn State he went 45-69 for 532 yards with 3 touchdowns to 0 interceptions. Both of those were wins.

Before that he had a mixed bag against good teams where he had some outstanding and then some really bad games so it really depends with Keenum which version you get.

He definitely had the advantage of playing a lower class of teams to pad his stats but he still put up outstanding numbers and was very efficient.

You are definitely right that Keenum's performance in the "big games" that he played is mixed, cd. That could be among the reasons that he wasn't drafted, but I think that the main reasons are (1) that he doesn't have great physical tools and (2) the offense that he played in almost never required him to take snaps from center and drop back to pass. At the same time, I do think that he has a very well rounded set of only decent physical tools (i.e., his arm, size, strength, and speed are all decent, but none are great) and he is an unusually smart player.

Can his favorable attributes overcome his deficiencies enough for Houston to win at KC? Certainly good reason to think that the answer is "no", but I'm holding out hope.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a reason they decided to go Keenum over Yates and that is Keenum has the higher ceiling of the two to actually make an impact in this game. There is a good chance that this first game he will fall flat on his face as he is facing one of the better pass rushing and secondary teams in the NFL in what is now considered the most hostile environment in the NFL. A good running game with some play action thrown in though should help with some of that. The defense getting some life and getting to Alex Smith early and often would help as well.

Not saying they will win but I think this was the best move that Houston could have made.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are definitely right that Keenum's performance in the "big games" that he played is mixed, cd. That could be among the reasons that he wasn't drafted, but I think that the main reasons are (1) that he doesn't have great physical tools and (2) the offense that he played in almost never required him to take snaps from center and drop back to pass. At the same time, I do think that he has a very well rounded set of only decent physical tools (i.e., his arm, size, strength, and speed are all decent, but none are great) and he is an unusually smart player.

Can his favorable attributes overcome his deficiencies enough for Houston to win at KC? Certainly good reason to think that the answer is "no", but I'm holding out hope.

Now I'm not comparing the two (so all the "comparison nazis" relax") but to many observers you also just described Tom Brady....

Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength,
arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production

Now, is Keenum the next Brady? Can't say, and I'm not going to speculate a "yes" until he shows something in the NFL. However, if he's smart, and especially football smart, that has the potential to mitigate any percieved weaknesses. After all, a smart QB usually only needs a "decent" set of tools to cause some major damage. If he has the ability to make quick decisions and get rid of the ball quickly and accurately, he at least has a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard ystrdy ( NFLN) that KC D hasn`t been that good versus the run ( don`t shoot the messenger) but the odds are Houston is going to be heavy on trying to run the ball and you can "bet your sweet bippy" ( most of you are to young to remember that saying:)) that KC WILL stack the box and force Mr. Keenum to beat them thru the air and it is not going to be pretty. Don`t get me wrong, I`d love to see Chiefs fall, but it`s not going to be this wknd for sure.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard ystrdy ( NFLN) that KC D hasn`t been that good versus the run ( don`t shoot the messenger) but the odds are Houston is going to be heavy on trying to run the ball and you can "bet your sweet bippy" ( most of you are to young to remember that saying:)) that KC WILL stack the box and force Mr. Keenum to beat them thru the air and it is not going to be pretty. Don`t get me wrong, I`d love to see Chiefs fall, but it`s not going to be this wknd for sure.

Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in ?