• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carter Capps coming back to fill Bartender's roster spot.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On June 1st Wilhelmsen had 0.76 Era and only one blown save and people were thinking All-Star.

In next two months he posted ERA of 7.82 and today gave up 2 HRs to 1st 3 hitters he faced in AAA.

Crazy how fast he has fallen. I hope for the best but his closing days definitely seem over.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On June 1st Wilhelmsen had 0.76 Era and only one blown save and people were thinking All-Star.

In next two months he posted ERA of 7.82 and today gave up 2 HRs to 1st 3 hitters he faced in AAA.

Crazy how fast he has fallen. I hope for the best but his closing days definitely seem over.

I agree completely.

Was reading a Baker article the other day. Wilhelmsen's curve and four-seamer are really pretty good, and if he could work on his change at AAA, I think it might be good to try redefining him as a long reliever or maybe a starter in AAA, and then maybe trying to trade him a couple years down the line.

I mean, his days as a closer are probably over, right? Unless something miraculous happens?

He's only barely got a year of MLB service now, and he's not even arb eligible until 2015, so there's plenty of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue with him isn't his stuff at all. He has a fastball in the mid 90's and one of the best curves I have seen in the league.

The problem with him is all mental in my opinion. For a closer that is arguably the most important part since the game is on the line. I mean its not like its just him this happens to closers all the time, they are good for a year and then disappear. Look at our two closers before League and Aardsma, although Aards had injury issues. My point is closers come and go pretty frequently making guys like Rivera pretty special.

It seems like in most of his outings he doesn't recover quickly if it starts bad. I don't have stats to back me up but it seems like when the leadoff hitter reaches his outings go in the tank for the most part. Even though he had like 6 saves in row before last week it still seems like there weren't very many clean innings.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue with him isn't his stuff at all. He has a fastball in the mid 90's and one of the best curves I have seen in the league.

The problem with him is all mental in my opinion. For a closer that is arguably the most important part since the game is on the line. I mean its not like its just him this happens to closers all the time, they are good for a year and then disappear. Look at our two closers before League and Aardsma, although Aards had injury issues. My point is closers come and go pretty frequently making guys like Rivera pretty special.

It seems like in most of his outings he doesn't recover quickly if it starts bad. I don't have stats to back me up but it seems like when the leadoff hitter reaches his outings go in the tank for the most part. Even though he had like 6 saves in row before last week it still seems like there weren't very many clean innings.
Maybe the problem is stuff with relievers for the most part. I mean, closers usually aren't made from starting caliber pitchers. They're usually the bullpen guy with the most overpowering stuff and they tend to do well for a few years but hit patches where they're hit really hard or completely lose it like Tom.

Well Tom completely dominated with his stuff for a while. Then he lost command of his fastball so guys would wait for balls in the zone. Once that happened, he got hit hard. What it looks like is hitters figured him out. Maybe the key to closers (outside of the freaks like Rivera) is to change them out more frequently than the past. Take advantage of the fact that guys haven't seen them for a while, then deal them away when the value is highest (not news at all. I'm a big believer in this). I just think maybe closers should have shorter leashes since many don't seem to recapture that closing form once they lose it. Move on to the next guy and start the cycle again.