• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Carolina Panthers' leaked financial document

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, even a baseball stadium or basketball arena is more worthwhile, you can at least make an argument they help surrounding areas. Football games, its 10 dates a year, the fans tailgate, very little benefit. What a scam.

Yep, and the thing is - the formula is not what the surrounding areas make with a stadium or without, because they already have a stadium. The formula is what a new stadium would bring over an old stadium for the surrounding areas. Besides a SB weekend, seems like zilch if you don't include the stadium itself. If they already sell-out, without more seating, renovations aren't bringing more people and therefore bring little to the stadium itself anyways. And I suppose they could justify charging more, but they were going to do that anyway, just not with fake justification.

With a winning Falcons' team, it seems they would have maximized interest and if they lose, a new stadium won't change interest, especially if it was made and started while they were winning. I mean, in a losing team, you could say, sure, the team sucks, but look at these seats! When they are winning, people would come anyway, then when they start to lose, the new stadium is old and the team is no good, benefit lost.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tourists coming to a city doesn't cause the people who paid extra for their burritos to get their money back. Do Hotels benefit? Sure. Most of the people around there don't though. For every 1 person it helps, there are like 10,000 people who have to pay extra for everything they buy.

The NFL would still be around if every city in the U.S. refused to give them money for stadiums. It's a ca$h cow. But the city politicians sell their residents out to make a few friends in the business community.

Like I said, a select few benefit and everyone pays for it.

Holy Shit!! Are you & I in full agreement on something? That has to be cause for celebration or suicide or something ;)

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that article and was just outraged, besides, there are a number of sports economists out there who have done studies showing that stadiums add nothing to the local economy -- they just move around dollars that are already going to be spent as discretionary income --- and the local jobs they support are almost uniformly low paying. The other thing that gets me is that in any labor dispute the players are always the villains it seems like -- yet in football the contracts aren't guaranteed, the careers are short, the health affects are devastating, and now it appears the reason the owners consistently refuse to let the NFLPA see the books is because they lie.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The other thing that gets me is that in any labor dispute the players are always the villains it seems like -- yet in football the contracts aren't guaranteed, the careers are short, the health affects are devastating, and now it appears the reason the owners consistently refuse to let the NFLPA see the books is because they lie.

DeMaurice Smith? Is that you?