• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

car folks, got a question

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
age is simply a number my friend, until the joints start to blow out anyways :D

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, i'm off to replace the bushing and the damper...wish me luck

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Success! lol...it was a major pain in the ass though. worked on it from about 1-6pm yesterday.

I think the longest part was getting the bushing out of and the new one into the track bar. burned most of the rubber out, hacksawed the metal sleeves, then pried it off the track bar. Then I never thought i was going to get the new one in, but it eventually got in there. took forever, but getting the track bar itself off and on was no problem.

the steering stabilizer turned out to be quite the little bitch too. after getting the cotter pin out, and the nut off, i was banging on the drag link, and the bolt to try to pop it loose and get it out...no luck, so i went to autozone, rented a pitman arm puller (wish i had done this first), popped it loose in about 4 seconds. BUT, where i had been whacking the bolt, it flattened out the end of it, and it was now too wide to go through the hole. So i had to get my hacksaw back out and cut off the flattened end. Then getting the other side of the new stabilizer in place was pretty rough, but i eventually got it wedged in there and bolted back.

No more wiggle room in the track bar, no play on the dry steering test. I noticed before replacing it, driving down the road, i could rock the wheel back and forth a bit and continue straight on down the road. not the case now, steering is much tighter, and for the first time in a while i was able to hit a couple of bumps without a clenched butthole!

DnKSDad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Success! lol...it was a major pain in the ass though.

:lol: brings back many memories of stripped bolts, bent pry bars, busted knuckles and big fricking hammers!

makes it worth it when you climb in the seat and it feels like a new jeep.....