• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cap management

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it is time for some of the Homer bashes to step up and see how tough it is to manage the cap. Look at the Hawks this summer. Look at the Devils this year. They wanted Kovi so bad that they played with 15 skaters on Monday. And they still only have 88K in cap room. SOuray and Redden are both buried in the minors. Yahsin is still getting paid by the Islanders. No team is perfect...

indyflyr

Da Oracle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i got no bones with his cap management. i didn't like the leighton signing, but that was a 50/50 call, since the guy was damaged goods i have solidified my position. his biggest gamble was not trading carter. so the jury is still out on that one.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just nice to see the devils mess up the cap so bad hahahahaha

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have rarely bashed homer on his cap management. I would prefer more space but I think we are fine. The one move I will never understand is why we gave Shelley that much. I dont think a fighter should be getting anything over 1 million. I like Shelley, still just scratching my head on that move.

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
homer has managed to fit a playoff caliber team, and recently, a cup caliber team, under the cap every season, i dont think anyone should bash him. like it or not the flyers have had success in building teams since homer took over. only move i will question is the shelly signing for 1.1 mil...baffles me.. hes making more money than giroux and leino this season, isnt that hilarious?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
propp you're too early to bash the bashers.. they'll be out in full force around the deadline, and it will probably be overwhelming next offseason when they see the dreadful mess we're in haha

but i've never bashed homer about cap management.. the only stuff i've bashed him on is timing.. this offseason he could've gotten a lot more for gagne if he had traded gagne prior to trading for mez and going over the cap.. he also could've waited a day on leighton, and gotten him for significantly less (IMO better goalies signed for less on july 1, than leights did on june 30)..

like indy said.. the gamble was trading gagne and not carter (as far as cap goes).. because carter will want a raise in the offseason, where gagne might've taken a pay cut.. BUT, as far as the team goes, it is better with carter than it would've been with gagne.. as much as it pains me to say it, gagne is my all-time favorite player (old enough to become a fan his rookie season)

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From a mgm't (not a fan's) perspective, it is hard to see the risk in trading a soon to be UFA who is over 30 and has a history of concussions and has never scored 40 goals instead of a 25 year old with no long-term injury concerns and has scored teh 5th most goals in the NHL over the last 3 seasons. I don't get the return of Matt Walker though. Either make it a straight cap room move and get picks, or go after a player that upgrades the team. Walker is neither.
I completely don't get the SHelley signing. BUt Clarke's comments yesterday on XM might explain it a little. He said that teams need to have identities, and that the successful franchises stick to them. In his mind, the FLyers will never be a team to get pushed around. BUt still, 3 years???
And Leighton? I don't like him. Didn't like playing him over Boosh last year. And didn't like re-signing him. But the problem with looking back and saying if the Flyers waited until AUg 1 to sign him is a little flawed. One, if they remained a team committed to winning with a hole in the top goalie slot, the price for all the remaining goalies would remain high. It was only after every team filled their slots that they went for less dollars. Look at Mason. He signes as a backup. Now, if I were GM, I wouldn't have signed SHelley, and traded Gags for picks. That would give the team an extra 2.8 million to spend. SOme of that could have been spent on trying to get Nabakov or whomever would have come as an obvious upgrade.

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From a mgm't (not a fan's) perspective, it is hard to see the risk in trading a soon to be UFA who is over 30 and has a history of concussions and has never scored 40 goals instead of a 25 year old with no long-term injury concerns and has scored teh 5th most goals in the NHL over the last 3 seasons. I don't get the return of Matt Walker though. Either make it a straight cap room move and get picks, or go after a player that upgrades the team. Walker is neither.
I completely don't get the SHelley signing. BUt Clarke's comments yesterday on XM might explain it a little. He said that teams need to have identities, and that the successful franchises stick to them. In his mind, the FLyers will never be a team to get pushed around. BUt still, 3 years???
And Leighton? I don't like him. Didn't like playing him over Boosh last year. And didn't like re-signing him. But the problem with looking back and saying if the Flyers waited until AUg 1 to sign him is a little flawed. One, if they remained a team committed to winning with a hole in the top goalie slot, the price for all the remaining goalies would remain high. It was only after every team filled their slots that they went for less dollars. Look at Mason. He signes as a backup. Now, if I were GM, I wouldn't have signed SHelley, and traded Gags for picks. That would give the team an extra 2.8 million to spend. SOme of that could have been spent on trying to get Nabakov or whomever would have come as an obvious upgrade.

gagne scored 47 and 41 goals in 05-06 and 06-07

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think phil07ly should be forced to read this, apologize, and then be euthanized.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with walker at this point he's added depth and if Bartulis suplants him they can send him down to the AHL and retain the cap $'s. Once they heard that Pronger could be out I'm sure they wanted that extra insurance...its not like he's that bad of a player but in the end he's not a needed piece to the puzzle.

I'm on Carts quite a bit but keeping him was the right move over Gags at least they can get some value for him during this season or next since he's restricted. I won't be upset if they end up with draft picks to keep this franchise rolling for another decade with good young talent.

As for Shelley by fixing the grind it out heavyweight role he's allowed Philly to dump Asham and Cote works out to the same $'s so I don't see a problem. As a bonus Z is now playing in Ashams spot and IMO its a HUGE upgrade....can't wait to see him light it up with Giroux.

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
gagne scored 47 and 41 goals in 05-06 and 06-07

Guess I didn't remember him being that much of a sniper. I still think it was the better long term move. Although I have had my calendar cleared since the sched came out so I could cheer him tomorrow night in person. Even skipped the home opener for this game.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is time for some of the Homer bashes to step up and see how tough it is to manage the cap. Look at the Hawks this summer. Look at the Devils this year. They wanted Kovi so bad that they played with 15 skaters on Monday. And they still only have 88K in cap room. SOuray and Redden are both buried in the minors. Yahsin is still getting paid by the Islanders. No team is perfect...

Would you please put up an avi?? or at least the badge of honor?? :L

Here....pick one!! :D </title></head><body onload='if (!window.parent.StateManager || window.parent.StateManager.frameSaving) return;window.parent.StateManager.restore(decodeURIComponent(document.body.innerText));'>"+enc(b)+"</body></html>");c.close();a.frameSaving=false}

I think Homer got most of his bashing because we had to dump Gagne. I mean, dump a Flyer's fan favorite for who.....Shelley & Walker?? That shit hurt.
I understand why he had to make the move, but still...

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know my lack of an avi was so disrespectful TOx! I will find one later today, just for you...

lol I was just messing around PR. A little ball bustin is all. You have to admit though......it does look kind of bland under your name. :p

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im still not pleased that they moved the game time on saturday.. i dont care about you punks dealin with traffic.. i got a football game to finish!

good thing they are on tonight AND on saturday for me to watch in HD.. i wont be quite as upset missing the first bit