• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cap compliancy and free agents

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At what point do teams have to be cap compliant? The start of camp? Pre-season? Or regular season?

The reason I ask is that there are still a few guys on the market who I think could help the Flyers...Stepniak, Kariya(for cheap), Guerin(if he's still there & cheap).

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they need to waive walker and cote to afford Turco anyway, and since we've debated before the chances of them getting a goalie to hold down the fort till bobrovsky/ericsson are ready I don't feel like they will get Turco and personally I'm fine with that since I think he's over-rated.

Adding another guy who can score would be a huge benefit in the long run, especially if come the trade deadline we need to acquire a goalie(this would more so be Stepniak). However fitting them in the current cap system is the tricky part. I can't see Kariya or Guerin really commanding that much money anymore.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kariya might. i doubt guerin does. stempniak is tough because he was so good on phoenix.

yea so good that he's not signed yet which means either, he wants too much money or there isn't much interest in him because team doubt he can match those numbers, worth a gamble for the right price imo.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they chose Zherdev over all of them so can't see them chasing any of the rest there's no where else to play them unless they move some bodies for picks.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*This is from a FlyerFinFan post at the swamp

Hartnell/Briere/Leino
Carter/Giroux/Zherdev
JVR/Richie/Carcillo
Shelley/Betts/Lappy *Powe sub

So who needs a guy like Guerin or Kariya? Should they are alright vets but look at those lines. I think they could replace Shelly or Carcillo...that is it.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*This is from a FlyerFinFan post at the swamp

Hartnell/Briere/Leino
Carter/Giroux/Zherdev
JVR/Richie/Carcillo
Shelley/Betts/Lappy *Powe sub

So who needs a guy like Guerin or Kariya? Should they are alright vets but look at those lines. I think they could replace Shelly or Carcillo...that is it.

It's a solid group of lines no matter how you shake them up. I think the Flyers are expecting improved offensive numbers across the board from the players and rightfully so as this will be their first full season of the high pressure system Laviolette coaches.

The line of Hartnell, Briere and Leino should be expected to have a strong season after dominating in the playoffs. Obviously we're assuming that young players like Zherdev, Meszaros, Carle, Coburn and especially JvR and Bartulis will improve if not significantly. This will be a contract year for players like Carter, Giroux, Carcillo and Powe, which is only more incentive for them to have productive seasons.

The defense looks even better. The depth is pretty unreal. Bartulis could be our 6th defenseman and I don't think it'd hurt us much. Instead, he is our 8th defenseman. I hope we don't trade any of them away. As it stands, I like to think we have the best starting six defensemen in the Nhl and then the most depth with two more that could also start. That is going to pay big time dividends if we drop a defenseman or two due to injury during the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a solid group of lines no matter how you shake them up. I think the Flyers are expecting improved offensive numbers across the board from the players and rightfully so as this will be their first full season of the high pressure system Laviolette coaches.

The line of Hartnell, Briere and Leino should be expected to have a strong season after dominating in the playoffs. Obviously we're assuming that young players like Zherdev, Meszaros, Carle, Coburn and especially JvR and Bartulis will improve if not significantly. This will be a contract year for players like Carter, Giroux, Carcillo and Powe, which is only more incentive for them to have productive seasons.

The defense looks even better. The depth is pretty unreal. Bartulis could be our 6th defenseman and I don't think it'd hurt us much. Instead, he is our 8th defenseman. I hope we don't trade any of them away. As it stands, I like to think we have the best starting six defensemen in the Nhl and then the most depth with two more that could also start. That is going to pay big time dividends if we drop a defenseman or two due to injury during the season.

I agree Mav even on fwd you have a guy like Powe as a depth guy he's solid and a few other serviceable guys in the minors but all in all the key will be goaltending and with a better D in front of Leights he should look better in net.

One thing I don't get is why Flyer fans want a skill guy on their 4th line? That line will wreak havoc out there and forecheck hard, hit and cycle the puck...guarantee you no one will want to play against them. IMO it was a better line when Carcillo was out there last year with Betts and Lappy not as effective with Powe who's smaller. I can see Shelley playing the same style and game out there allowing Carcillo to do his thing on the 3rd line creating space for guys like Richie and JVR if that's how the lines shake out. Will be interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing how things pan out.

Guerin or Kariya to me are injury risks and have lost a step otherwise they would have been resigned by their former teams. Carcillo has more energy which could make him a more effective option on that 3rd line than a guy like Guerin obviously Homer thinks so or he wouldn't have signed him.

Last edited by a moderator: