• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can't Wait

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resources have been spent on free agents and draft picks were added at all levels in order to raise the talent level of this front. Of all the new pieces that were added here, the one that is the most interesting was rookie DeMarcus Lawrence from Boise State. When the scout’s studied Lawrence’s work, they viewed him as a Top 25 player and if the opportunity did present itself, Jerry Jones and these scouts were going to use whatever means it took to add him to the roster. On the second day of the draft, Jones was not in the mood to sit and watch Lawrence come off that board ahead of him, so he sent a 3rd round pick to the Redskins for Lawrence’s rights.

What we learned in post draft from new defensive coordinator, Rod Marinelli was the plan to bring Lawrence along slowly at that right defensive end and let unrestricted free agent, Jeremy Mincey start on that side ahead of Lawrence until he learned the ropes. When practices opened, it was Lawrence that was running with the first defense while Mincey was dealing with a small set back. What I learned from watching him work not only that first one but the final one at AT&T Stadium that the physical and mental side of the game was not too much for him.
The more he worked, the better he played and to the point that in my view, as much as we were told that Mincey would most likely be the starter opening day against the 49ers, I would not discount Lawrence taking that job from him at some point in time while this team is in Oxnard. It’s not that Mincey is that poor of an opponent but Lawrence just has too much talent not to give him serious consideration for the position. It’s not surprising that Lawrence has had some early success, what is surprising is how small the learning curve has become.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resources have been spent on free agents and draft picks were added at all levels in order to raise the talent level of this front. Of all the new pieces that were added here, the one that is the most interesting was rookie DeMarcus Lawrence from Boise State. When the scout’s studied Lawrence’s work, they viewed him as a Top 25 player and if the opportunity did present itself, Jerry Jones and these scouts were going to use whatever means it took to add him to the roster. On the second day of the draft, Jones was not in the mood to sit and watch Lawrence come off that board ahead of him, so he sent a 3rd round pick to the Redskins for Lawrence’s rights.

What we learned in post draft from new defensive coordinator, Rod Marinelli was the plan to bring Lawrence along slowly at that right defensive end and let unrestricted free agent, Jeremy Mincey start on that side ahead of Lawrence until he learned the ropes. When practices opened, it was Lawrence that was running with the first defense while Mincey was dealing with a small set back. What I learned from watching him work not only that first one but the final one at AT&T Stadium that the physical and mental side of the game was not too much for him.
The more he worked, the better he played and to the point that in my view, as much as we were told that Mincey would most likely be the starter opening day against the 49ers, I would not discount Lawrence taking that job from him at some point in time while this team is in Oxnard. It’s not that Mincey is that poor of an opponent but Lawrence just has too much talent not to give him serious consideration for the position. It’s not surprising that Lawrence has had some early success, what is surprising is how small the learning curve has become.
it was unclear to me. Was Marinelli saying Lawrence has just a small learning curve, or was the writer saying this?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's an opinion from the writer.....I'm thinking Marinelli thought along with the scouts that he was top 25 talent. That's a strong evaluation when it costs you a 3rd for a team in need of talent infusion. It will become much more understood if the talent evaluation is accurate and he's also student of the game. That last part isn't found on just any street corner. They all have some talent to get the opportunity at this level....whats between the ears can be the difference maker.

Gotta trust the plan tell proven otherwise. I actually like the group assembled and hope the evaluation is sound.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's an opinion from the writer.....I'm thinking Marinelli thought along with the scouts that he was top 25 talent. That's a strong evaluation when it costs you a 3rd for a team in need of talent infusion. It will become much more understood if the talent evaluation is accurate and he's also student of the game. That last part isn't found on just any street corner. They all have some talent to get the opportunity at this level....whats between the ears can be the difference maker.

Gotta trust the plan tell proven otherwise. I actually like the group assembled and hope the evaluation is sound.
I am definitely on a wait & see with Lawrence. (I wasnt a fan of giving up a 3rd) I am glad to see he is being used in practice anyways as an every down lineman. Thats good news.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very excited to see how this kid does in pads. If he can get at the QB he will be well worth the price - I guess we will figure out what is propaganda to justify the pick and what are the honest assessments until we get to see him ourselves. To me whether he plays on early downs or not year one is not important. Ware was going to be rotated a lot more this year anyway if he was still here and it's not hard to find an early down run stoppping DE to pair with him if need be. Pass rush is our biggest need and someone has to be able to do it or it's going to be another long year for the defense. I'd rather the majority of our pass rushers snaps be in those situations and let the other guys get some of their snaps on 1st and 10 since we know they will all likely rotate some.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont want to get caught up in the total number of sacks one actually gets. I just want to see how many times he hurries the QB. Sacks are great dont get me wrong- we just need pressure.

It was brought up in this thread about a writers opinion- I read some disappointing news for me anyway from a usually pretty solid writer yesterday. He made a prediction of the last 5 to make it and last 5 to get cut. Jakar Hamilton was on the cut list. Heath made it. Very surprising to see considering Hamilton has supposedly been turning a lot of heads.

Lots of battles to look forward too. Im starting to think Hayden and McClain will be really interesting as well

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's like what was said earlier....rotation 6/7 maybe 8 deep

As always....assuming health, I worry much more about the dbackfield play with maybe two new contributors that weren't options last season.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As bad as the experts are saying our Dline is- I have said it for a month its gonna be hard getting down to 8 -10 from 16.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont want to get caught up in the total number of sacks one actually gets. I just want to see how many times he hurries the QB. Sacks are great dont get me wrong- we just need pressure.

It was brought up in this thread about a writers opinion- I read some disappointing news for me anyway from a usually pretty solid writer yesterday. He made a prediction of the last 5 to make it and last 5 to get cut. Jakar Hamilton was on the cut list. Heath made it. Very surprising to see considering Hamilton has supposedly been turning a lot of heads.

Lots of battles to look forward too. Im starting to think Hayden and McClain will be really interesting as well

I wouldn't worry about that being anything other than opinion/prediction since pads haven't even been put on yet.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a situational pass rusher. If he were a top 25 talent, why not trade down a few spots from 16, add a 3rd or even a 4th, and come away with more ammunition in a great draft than less. We'll see

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a situational pass rusher. If he were a top 25 talent, why not trade down a few spots from 16, add a 3rd or even a 4th, and come away with more ammunition in a great draft than less. We'll see

You guys can keep saying he is a situational pass rusher, but it isnt any more proven than it was two months ago. Why Would we want to trade down at 16? That would have really pissed me off. We made a great pick at 16, why undo it? We got what the team thought was two first rounders. You can disagree with their assessment, but that is why they played it the way they did.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys can keep saying he is a situational pass rusher, but it isnt any more proven than it was two months ago. Why Would we want to trade down at 16? That would have really pissed me off. We made a great pick at 16, why undo it? We got what the team thought was two first rounders. You can disagree with their assessment, but that is why they played it the way they did.

I say he's a situational pass rusher because he is going to get his ass blown off the line when teams run right at him. Hey, we need pass rushers, but that's a steep price to pay for a much slower Bruce Irvin. The guy moved up and down the line to match up against the weakest O lineman the scrub teams Boise played against had. Steep

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys can keep saying he is a situational pass rusher, but it isnt any more proven than it was two months ago. Why Would we want to trade down at 16? That would have really pissed me off. We made a great pick at 16, why undo it? We got what the team thought was two first rounders. You can disagree with their assessment, but that is why they played it the way they did.[/QUOTE]

amen brother.....which was the point to the tread in the first place. I can't wait to see if the new head of scouting and the defensive coaches got this right. As I said earlier in this thread, that is one strong evaluation/opinion of the football player when numbers were needed on that side of the football.

NOW...IF ONLY this group employed by Jerry had just done six/seven practice mocks on SportsHoopla we'd all feel better about their evaluation of the Boise product. IF ONLY they knew he moved up and down the line finding the weakest Oline guy to attack against all those sorry ass talentless teams they played.

some people must have one helleva film vault on these college players, OR just an opinion based on an opinion....I don't know.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys can keep saying he is a situational pass rusher, but it isnt any more proven than it was two months ago. Why Would we want to trade down at 16? That would have really pissed me off. We made a great pick at 16, why undo it? We got what the team thought was two first rounders. You can disagree with their assessment, but that is why they played it the way they did.[/QUOTE]

amen brother.....which was the point to the tread in the first place. I can't wait to see if the new head of scouting and the defensive coaches got this right. As I said earlier in this thread, that is one strong evaluation/opinion of the football player when numbers were needed on that side of the football.

NOW...IF ONLY this group employed by Jerry had just done six/seven practice mocks on SportsHoopla we'd all feel better about their evaluation of the Boise product. IF ONLY they knew he moved up and down the line finding the weakest Oline guy to attack against all those sorry ass talentless teams they played.

some people must have one helleva film vault on these college players, OR just an opinion based on an opinion....I don't know.
on draft day I went to the general board to find out who this guy was (my vault is empty LOL) A fan of boise state tried to explain to me who the guy was. He also disagreed with the whole situational pass rusher assessment. he talked the guy up pretty good & seemed to do it with some intelligence. Didn't sound all homeristic or anything. He got me kinda excited to see the guy. His assessment was we were going to be happy to have him.
So I remain on the wait & see (especially with everything in the offseason being fluffed up on players) but with the thought of In Rod we trust, throw in a dash of hope he surprises a lot of the so called experts.
What I haven't heard yet. Is anything bad. :thumb:
I mean our DC has to have seen something in this guy other than a 1 trick pony for Jerry to get all impatient & pull the trigger to move up for him.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or any opinion that differs from yours is automatically wrong... I didn't pull those comments about Lawrence out of my ass or a ''film vault''. I listened to people I respected about him. You just created a thread about ''the book on Romo''. Kettle. Tell ya what, check back after your boy Lawrence finishes up this season and we'll see if you and Jerry were right.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or any opinion that differs from yours is automatically wrong... I didn't pull those comments about Lawrence out of my ass or a ''film vault''. I listened to people I respected about him. You just created a thread about ''the book on Romo''. Kettle. Tell ya what, check back after your boy Lawrence finishes up this season and we'll see if you and Jerry were right.

I could care less if opinions differ from mine and he isn't my boy. He's the cowboys boy based on where they had him rated. I'm pulling for him to be all they think he can be. Your reasoning here about competition and moving along the line for favorable match ups reeks of an opinion based on an opinion and here you are trashing the pick again. I understand why you hope this guy fails, your mouth overloaded your ass if he turns out to be NFL good.

\\ keep thinking it's me AND JERRY.............that's another opinion based on a resent opinion posted to this board.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less if opinions differ from mine and he isn't my boy. He's the cowboys boy based on where they had him rated. I'm pulling for him to be all they think he can be. Your reasoning here about competition and moving along the line for favorable match ups reeks of an opinion based on an opinion and here you are trashing the pick again. I understand why you hope this guy fails, your mouth overloaded your ass if he turns out to be NFL good.

\\ keep thinking it's me AND JERRY.............that's another opinion based on a resent opinion posted to this board.

Man you're a real dipshit aren't you? I'm not rooting against this kid, just the opposite, I hope he proves me wrong. I will gladly come on here and say I was talking out my ass and didn't know what I was talking about. I would have been fine taking him in the 2nd at our original slot, but giving up a 3rd for a kid like this is absurd IMO. I really hope I am wrong. At the end of the season, compare this kid to Kony Ealy and Louis Nix....who we could have had if we kept our picks. Then we will see who is uninformed, Windbag

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man you're a real dipshit aren't you? I'm not rooting against this kid, just the opposite, I hope he proves me wrong. I will gladly come on here and say I was talking out my ass and didn't know what I was talking about. I would have been fine taking him in the 2nd at our original slot, but giving up a 3rd for a kid like this is absurd IMO. I really hope I am wrong. At the end of the season, compare this kid to Kony Ealy and Louis Nix....who we could have had if we kept our picks. Then we will see who is uninformed, Windbag

careful....your lace panties are showing