• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cam Newton's suggestion box

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That press conference of his yesterday was discussed in the Sunday game thread I think, but this is turning into a pretty comical discussion all around on the internet, though I don't think Cam was completely serious about the suggestion box idea.

Cam Newton wants a suggestion box, calls reporter “sweetheart

“The past couple of games have been the same script, by the same director,” Newton, wearing some sort of squirrel-pelt sweater, said (via the Charlotte Observer). “It’s kind of getting boring. This taste, this vibe — I’m not buying it, man. And I don’t know what it is, but something’s going to have to change. Something’s going to have to change real fast.”

The best way to do that? How about reverting to a decades-old idea? (Speaking of decades-old ideas, he also called a female sportswriter “sweetheart.”) “I’m going to leave this room and I’m going to bring in a suggestion box and I want your suggestions to be in that suggestion box because I sure don’t know,” Newton said. “I really don’t. I wish I could tell you. But the only thing I control, sweetheart, is myself. Offensively, I am the leader of this bunch and we haven’t been getting the job done.”

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF was he wearing during the press conference anyways? He looked ridiculous.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My suggestion would be to quit wearing his girlfriend's sweaters.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I don't care if we kick the ball from the 70"??? Well there's the problem right there! You have to care if you're kicking the ball from the 70!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel bad for Cam. If he said it was anybody else's fault, they'd say he was throwing others under the bus. If he said that he knew the answers, he'd either be called arrogant or they'd say it was the company line, depending on how he said it and how many cliches you count. He says it's his fault, people concur and try to psycho-analyze everything. When he says he doesn't know what to do, this happens. There are a lot of QBs on losing teams who has done well enough year one to be in focus, like Bradford, who don't get criticized as much. When he wears those sweaters... eh, he deserves that.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel bad for Cam. If he said it was anybody else's fault, they'd say he was throwing others under the bus. If he said that he knew the answers, he'd either be called arrogant or they'd say it was the company line, depending on how he said it and how many cliches you count. He says it's his fault, people concur and try to psycho-analyze everything. When he says he doesn't know what to do, this happens. There are a lot of QBs on losing teams who has done well enough year one to be in focus, like Bradford, who don't get criticized as much. When he wears those sweaters... eh, he deserves that.

He needs to shut the hell up and stop with the animated press conferences. A simple "hey, we're struggling, but we're working hard every day to turn things around" would suffice. Instead he starts coming up with stupid analogies and metaphors that don't even make sense and just completely outsmarts himself in his own presser.

And he dresses like a douche bag.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to shut the hell up and stop with the animated press conferences. A simple "hey, we're struggling, but we're working hard every day to turn things around" would suffice. Instead he starts coming up with stupid analogies and metaphors that don't even make sense and just completely outsmarts himself in his own presser.

Ha, I thought you loved him. On the flip side, that sweater is a necessity. It's cold as a witch's tit this time of year in Carolina!

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I feel bad for Cam. If he said it was anybody else's fault...

As far as I could tell he was calling out the HC and/or OC....."The last couple games feel like it's been the same script by the same director and it's getting kind of boring."

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I could tell he was calling out the HC and/or OC....."The last couple games feel like it's been the same script by the same director and it's getting kind of boring."

This!

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was reading about Cam today and came across the old PFW pre-draft report on him, which was brutally frank and criticized at the time....is it too early to say the personality/leadership stuff is being borne out?

Limited field vision—does not process the passing game. Inconsistent throwing mechanics with a flick delivery—generates all of his power from his upper-body strength and too often arms the ball. Streaky passer with spotty accuracy. Makes his receivers work hard and throws into coverage. Does not spin a tight spiral. Very disingenuous—has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law—does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness—is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.
[...]
[H]e always will test the rules, be difficult to manage and lacks the intangibles to win the trust of a locker room. Will require a very strong-willed, demanding coach to live up to his potential and avoid the trappings of fame and fortune, but even the greatest taskmaster will not be able to keep away the drama that is still swirling from a stained Heisman Trophy and littered recruiting trail that Newton left in the SEC. Can provide an initial spark, but will quickly be dissected and contained by NFL defensive coordinators, struggle to sustain success and will not prove worthy of an early investment. An overhyped, high-risk, high-reward selection with a glaring bust factor, Newton is sure to be drafted more highly than he should and could foreclose a risk-taking GM's job and taint a locker room.

He's young, probably too early, but they might have been right.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's true. Man, I skipped over that. I thought he was referring to himself as the director and the team/game being the movie. But reading this, I could see it. I think most people know that it's mulit-factorial, but given that people call him fake and stuff, coupled with his pervcieved weakness when things aren't going right, I thought he was calling himself out. Thanks for pointing this out despite it's apparent obvious-ness that I missed.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know why this is a national story. Carolina is a small market team. Cam Newton is a one-hit-wonder. The Panthers are simply terrible, and will draft in the top five for the next 6-8 years.

Having said that...

...sweetheart? Really? Dude...

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My suggestion: Try kicking it from the 70 more often.

In Madden I kick it from the 70 every time I reach it.

Remember when McNabb didn't know that OT was one period (a quarter, but you don't have five quarters)? Anybody getting that same impression?

How are you a first round pick (first overall in Newton's case), and not know things about the game that casual fans would call you out on?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sometimes a guy can look samrter by keeping his mouth shut. Newton is a prime example.