• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BYU wants in Big12

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JFC you guys are delusional. Get the fuck over yourselves.

Nebraska left the Big 12 for a better situation for themselves and their future. Period.
End of story.

So while it was OK for Texas and the rest of the Big 12 South to search out other conference opportunities, Nebraska and the Big 12 North were just supposed to be good little lap dogs begging for you guys to stay and keep the conference alive, right?

So while you were out looking for a bigger better deal that didn't include Nebraska, we went out and secured our future. God forbid we do something in our own best interest.
:lol: So, Nebraska didn't start the process in January in secret. Yeah, right.

AFA I'm concerned you're like Colorado, only when Colorado left the Big 12 they did it like adults.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back on topic, please husker fans try not to cream yourself talking about the big 12. Would adding cincy give the big 12 a decent shot at ohio valley recruits? Would West Virginia benefit the most? Would UCF give the Big 12 any real inroads to florida?

Cincy as an add would help the Bearcats more than WVU and Cincy has a track record of making very good moves as far as coaching hires (football). Problem has been, like all of the former BigEast programs, keeping those coaches when other programs could afford to poach them away. With the added money I would bet Cincy would put a good coach and product on the field quickly.

Promising a recruit a trip back home to Florida 2 out of his 4 years has worked for WVU in the past and would again IMO. We still get FL recruits but it would open it up for a few more and would for the other B12 programs as well. Same with OH or PA ect.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF would add the television market and the recruiting angle.

The Big 12 TV contract is currently overpaying the league. They acknowledge as much....
The Big 12 teams are being overpaid specifically to create stability. No one is complaining as it is a windfall for the team.

But any new teams would have to bring a gigantic "potential" TV audience for the networks to budge. Cincy would not be enough. The market is not a big or growing market.

The Networks would need more eyeballs. The are already overpaying and will not increase money for merely Cincy.

But, Tampa/Orlando/Daytona/Jacksonville would definitely enable the Big 12 to ask for more money.
That is a big sprawling northern florida TV market with amazing growth as well.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF would add the television market and the recruiting angle.

The Big 12 TV contract is currently overpaying the league. They acknowledge as much....
The Big 12 teams are being overpaid specifically to create stability. No one is complaining as it is a windfall for the team.

But any new teams would have to bring a gigantic "potential" TV audience for the networks to budge. Cincy would not be enough. The market is not a big or growing market.

The Networks would need more eyeballs. The are already overpaying and will not increase money for merely Cincy.

But, Tampa/Orlando/Daytona/Jacksonville would definitely enable the Big 12 to ask for more money.
That is a big sprawling northern florida TV market with amazing growth as well.

I respectfully disagree. Cincy is the 28th largest city in the US with a metropolitan population of 2.2 million, also 28th in the nation. It also has the #34 tv market. The Big 12 markets that are higher than Cincy's are Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston, and KC. It would improve the average of the Big 12 media markets.

Tampa Bay-St Petersburg, Miami-Ft Lauderdale and Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne are higher than Cincy, but I seriously doubt that if the Big 12 were to add 2 schools both would be in Florida.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long term market growth and college football fandom is also important

FLORIDA, much like the sunbelt in general, is experiencing turbo growth.
OHIO is a shrinking rustbelt state.

I would say that both are very strong college football states....No doubt Ohio is a great CFB state.
But, I just think that FLORIDA is a better future bet.

It would be one thing if Cincy was an established power with great facilities.
But, they are arguably worse off than the Florida schools in terms of facilities.
UCF probably already has better facilities now.

It makes far more sense to spend 10 years improving UCF or USF facilities....then wasting time trying to build up the facilities in a decaying rustbelt state.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would say that both are very strong college football states....No doubt Ohio is a great CFB state.

But, they are arguably worse off than the Florida schools in terms of facilities.

It makes far more sense to spend 10 years improving UCF or USF facilities....then wasting time trying to build up the facilities in a decaying rustbelt state.

Florida looks good now...but not for the long-long-long term. In another 150+ years Florida will be submerged, as will much of the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. Much of the population will then shift back to the western side of the Appalachians, towards Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc.

Global Sea Level Rise Map - Global Warming & Climate Change Impact

Our great great great grandchildren will be saying-----buh bye icecaps, and buh bye Sunshine State.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida looks good now...but not for the long-long-long term. In another 150+ years Florida will be submerged, as will much of the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. Much of the population will then shift back to the western side of the Appalachians, towards Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc.

Global Sea Level Rise Map - Global Warming & Climate Change Impact

Our great great great grandchildren will be saying-----buh bye icecaps, and buh bye Sunshine State.

Agreed, but in 150 years football as we know it will probably not be played. I figure Virtual Reality football wouldn't attract spectators to stadiums. The more likely result is human-like robots controlled by humans so there is no chance of injury. Which would probably also decrease the audience.

BUD

Hoopla Cash
$ 672.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU would be a good fit for the Big 12. Boise State is not as great as some people think, they should stay where they are at.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just baffles me how they think leaving for more money tarnishes their image somehow. They'd rather go on big12/Texas rants, and look so petty.

The usual defecation of Unicorns and Rainbows from an obsessed Texas fan.

Same thing from you but in a different thread. And you claim that Nebraska fans are obsessed.

HYPOCRITE.

I tell you what, you can make a thread about how Nebraska wanted more money, and I will make a thread about how Texas tries to screw over their conference mates all the time, all the while claiming that Texas is not a villain.

That should make both groups happy.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respectfully disagree. Cincy is the 28th largest city in the US with a metropolitan population of 2.2 million, also 28th in the nation. It also has the #34 tv market. The Big 12 markets that are higher than Cincy's are Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston, and KC. It would improve the average of the Big 12 media markets.

Tampa Bay-St Petersburg, Miami-Ft Lauderdale and Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne are higher than Cincy, but I seriously doubt that if the Big 12 were to add 2 schools both would be in Florida.

But Cincy is one of those cities in a state where nobody gives two shits about Bearcat football. It's all Ohio State in Ohio. Similar to how nobody really gives a shit about MIZZOU in Missouri (it's all MLB, NFL, NHL & KU basketball in KC) and CU in CO. Maybe there is a TV market, but I don't think it's as enticing as it may seem. Anyway, HOOK 'EM!!!!

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Cincy is one of those cities in a state where nobody gives two shits about Bearcat football. It's all Ohio State in Ohio. Similar to how nobody really gives a shit about MIZZOU in Missouri (it's all MLB, NFL, NHL & KU basketball in KC) and CU in CO. Maybe there is a TV market, but I don't think it's as enticing as it may seem. Anyway, HOOK 'EM!!!!

If the Big 12 has to add, Cincy and UCF are good adds. Cincy gives WVU a relatively close rivalry game and a decent basketball program.

I don't think it adds as much if 2 Florida schools were added.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Big 12 has to add, Cincy and UCF are good adds. Cincy gives WVU a relatively close rivalry game and a decent basketball program.

I don't think it adds as much if 2 Florida schools were added.

Gotta add UCF for sure, IMO. So much potential with this school, could possibly replace Miami as the 3rd major Florida program behind FSU and UF.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok So we have UCF,Cincy, Penn, and.... UConn? That gets the Big12 in 3 football rich states and big TV markets (counting Some of Boston with UConn)The academics get a boost with Penn and UConn,hoops get a HUGE boost with both Cincy and UConn , Penn could be a basketball power in no time iyam. UCF gets us into FL and yet ANOTHER BCS bowl winner. We go to 14 and get a CCG for even MORE $.

So, when's the next Big12 meeting? :lol:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Having spent the last two days within a few miles of the UCF campus let me just say you are sooo money on UCF. The B12 should snatch them up yesterday, could not agree more.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So UCF is really as a big a fish as some have claimed? Adding Orlando does make for a nice family football trip. I guess the question now is, Cincy or BYU?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So UCF is really as a big a fish as some have claimed? Adding Orlando does make for a nice family football trip. I guess the question now is, Cincy or BYU?

Cincy. The media market is larger and it's closer to the Big 12. It also gives WV a somewhat nearby rival.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinati has horrible facilities.

it makes no sense for the Big 12 to invest in the Bearcats to upgrade their program.

it is not a great long-term solution, and it would be a short term money pit.

I would rather see the league invest in building the infrastructure of growth markets.
Or take a school with facilities/infrastructure already established.

Cincy does neither.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinati has horrible facilities.

That will be changing, particularly with Nippert Stadium which is currently undergoing a renovation. The Bearcats will play the 2014 football season at the Cincinnati Bengals Paul Brown Stadium during the renovation. The new Nippert Stadium is scheduled to be ready for the start of the 2015 football season.

Nippert Stadium renovation on track for 2015 reopening

That being said, perhaps the Big XII should not go after Cincinnati, but instead get into the Florida market by adding two travel partner schools in UCF & USF, and additionally perhaps get two western travel partners by adding BYU & Boise State too.

As for Cincinnati, I could see them (along with UConn) perhaps joining the ACC as replacements if the ACC loses one of their North Carolina schools and one of their Virginia schools to the SEC (if the SEC eventually decides to grow to 16 members).

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That will be changing, particularly with Nippert Stadium which is currently undergoing a renovation. The Bearcats will play the 2014 football season at the Cincinnati Bengals Paul Brown Stadium during the renovation. The new Nippert Stadium is scheduled to be ready for the start of the 2015 football season.

Nippert Stadium renovation on track for 2015 reopening

That being said, perhaps the Big XII should not go after Cincinnati, but instead get into the Florida market by adding two travel partner schools in UCF & USF, and additionally perhaps get two western travel partners by adding BYU & Boise State too.

As for Cincinnati, I could see them (along with UConn) perhaps joining the ACC as replacements if the ACC loses one of their North Carolina schools and one of their Virginia schools to the SEC (if the SEC eventually decides to grow to 16 members).
I knew Cincy was upgrading but didn't know how soon things would get going.
As far as the ACC, if they lose another program after the GOR then IMO we will see Pandora's box open for that conference. You can pretty much bank that the Big12 and SEC would shred what would be left if the BIG gets another program first.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincy does have a basketball arena that seats 13k+ and a $1 billion endowment. The baseball stadium only seats 3,000, but was named the best Big East Baseball Stadium when it opened in 2006.

When Cincy has high profile football games, they are held at Paul Brown Stadium(the Bengals home field) and have had 58,000 for OU(2009) and 51,000 for WVU(2011). In 2002 Ohio State had 66,000 attend.