• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumor mill is really churning now that this may have been more of a firing...

We'll see how it plays out. Obviously as of now I am pissed we lost Buzz but this may not be as great as you VaTech fans think.

Go to the VT forum and search for any basketball threads. It's nothing but me bitching about VT basketball to the point where I'm surprised I haven't been banned for being annoying. This hire for me is like a 13 year old boy given free reign over the Playboy Mansion.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go to the VT forum and search for any basketball threads. It's nothing but me bitching about VT basketball to the point where I'm surprised I haven't been banned for being annoying. This hire for me is like a 13 year old boy given free reign over the Playboy Mansion.

Boobies!

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know anything about the guy, but he seems like a great hire... Congrats :yahoo:

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get ready to be introduced to the world of angry Marquette fans, they take it very personally when you take their coach.

Fans in general don't care about Virginia Tech's program. If you took crap when you got Crean, take that as a compliment your program is relevant. I don't think many Marquette fans were/are too sad to see Crean or Williams go.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on the new hire. Buzz is one of the good guys in college basketball. He will definitely put the Hokies back on track.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mad? Yes.

Doesn't make what I said any less true.

I liked Buzz obviously but man this proves what people were speculating. One bad year(by his own doing) and he bolts without even telling his players. Low blow.

I'll be happy though if the Howland or Marshall rumors are true!!!

Hockey,
Couldn't agree with you more and yes Marquette has a much more storied history compared to Virginia Tech since we are talking about basketball. I've always been a Buzz Williams supporter but this year he didn't have a good year coaching. He stuck with point guard Derrick Wilson all season long when it was brutally obvious Derrick Wilson wasn't getting the job done, in fact Wilson looked pretty horrible all season. No sour grapes here, Williams simply didn't do a good job this season. His rotations were horrible, he would substitute some of his young players in who would shine and then in turn go right back to watch Derrick Wilson fumble and bumble and never contribute on offense. Either way I do wish Buzz well, I think he is a class guy who simply didn't have his best year coaching.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whit Babcock was great as the AD here at UC. He's making waves already, I see.

Great hire, Whit.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get ready to be introduced to the world of angry Marquette fans, they take it very personally when you take their coach.

I've been a Marquette fan for a long long time. Watched them play when Al McGuire was coach and they were on top. I wish Buzz well and hated to see him go but I can assure you he can be replaced. I think even Buzz would tell you this wasn't a good year coaching for him. It honestly was the first year I saw his players not play that fever pitch style defense and he made very suspect substitutions all year long. Either way good luck to him and we'll be fine at Marquette. We have good talent coming in and also have a pretty good chance of landing Diamond Stone a key five star center from Wisconsin rated number one amongst centers right now. I am all for Howland but either way have complete confidence in their AD in making a good choice.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if my team had to wear these, id quit too....

5910723.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Buzz Williams drunk when he made this decision?

:noidea:

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Buzz Williams drunk when he me wade this decision?

:noidea:

The weird part about the decision to me is I think Marquette stands or atleast stood a good chance of landing five star center Diamond Stone out of Domican High School in Wisconsin. He's the number one ranked center in the nation by many and right now crystal ball has most of the predictors picking him to choose Marquette, plus he has a real good recruiting class - 8th in the nation coming in. Yes, this decision is hard to figure out. :agree:

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The weird part about the decision to me is I think Marquette stands or atleast stood a good chance of landing five star center Diamond Stone out of Domican High School in Wisconsin. He's the number one ranked center in the nation by many and right now crystal ball has most of the predictors picking him to choose Marquette, plus he has a real good recruiting class - 8th in the nation coming in. Yes, this decision is hard to figure out. :agree:
There is something that isn't adding up. The recruiting violations and NCAA investigation rumor looks to be false but I think there is something to him being forced out.

I mean he was set to make 4 million at a pure basketball school that spends the second most money in the nation(behind Duke) he has a private jet for recruiting. Great talent coming in and great talent around him. And he bolts for a bottom feeder that has to compete with Cuse, UL, Duke and UNC? I think there may be a reason we let him leave right away.

Otherwise theres the other scenario where he straight up left after 1 bad year. We know he feeds off the everyone against us or against me thing. He loves to be loved but that would be low if after 1 year of angry MU fans because of his own doing he bails. "I'll be here as long s they have me" And he bolts after 1 down year? I'd like to believe Buzz wouldn't do that.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whywork, you are right about the stubbornness. He is a great coach if personel works. I mean he found JUCO gold in DJO, Jae and Jimmy Fucking Butler. It was his style that got Wes Matthews to finally reach his potential.

But his one issues is hes stubborn. He won't play freshman and he likes "the good guys". He went to bat for Derrick, Jake and Chris all year(3 of our worst players), would make jabs at Davante, give Todd a short leash or straight up not playing Deonte and JJJ 2 of the most talented players we have had since Wade.

I just hope Ahmed HIll doesn't decomitt. Buzz is replaceable, but it has to be a good replacement like Howland or Gregg Marshall. Shaka is like a -5% chance.

It's a huge loss with we don't make the right signing because flaws aside Buzz got us a lot of wins and great recruits coming in for next couple years.

Good news is Duane Wilson and Deonte Burton both said they are sticking around. Two most important returning guys by far.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just my opinion but he sure didn't tapped the Jamil Wilson potential. Wilson had some solid athletic ability and at times could be a good outside shooter but seemed to play lazy in many of the games. When Jamil Wilson played hard he looked like one of the better talents in the nation. Pretty long and strong and a streaky outside shooter than I expected so much more from. This was one player that I thought Buzz just didn't seem to tap his talent. I also agree with the Todd Mayo in the doghouse all the time thing, Mayo was so much better than Derrick Wilson. I just never knew what exactly he had seen in Derrick, it eluded me as a fan all year. Even in our final loss he had the ball in Derrick Wilson's hands down low shooting when Wilson was one of our worst shooters and struggled mightly at the free throw line.