• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Butterfly goaltending

devils30mb

King "Marty" Kong
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what are some thoughts here.

What would have happen to the butterfly style if the goalie equipment stayed the same size it was in the earlier days when Roy, Brodeur, Hasek and others first started out. Would we really have the takeoff with the butterfly style today with that size of pads and equipment. I'm not to sure of this because the smaller equipment probably wouldn't help benefit taking away most of the bottom of the net like what they do today.

Today basically all goalies are playing the butterfly style, with Brodeur playing a hybrid style and I would not call it full fledge butterfly (which is why I like Brodeur because he still plays with that reactive style in him). The butterfly style I'm talking about is really just playing the percentages and taking up the bottom of the net making the shooter go high. I'm not to fond of this style because I feel like you are just making the goalie into a robot and continuously play the same moves all the time. You basically won't see the athelicism that Hasek displayed or the reactive style we were all fond of with Brodeur displaying in his prime. This is why quite a few goaltenders now are 6 foot plus in order to take up most of the bottom of the net with their long legs.

This leads me to my other question, do you really need someone who has great raw talent with playing in net or can you make someone who has good mental strength into an average goalie as long as you keep drilling them with the moves and get them to practice over and over and over again. I say mental strength because we know that goalies need this to gain back their composure when a goal is let in that they should of really had.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much agree with your opinions on the style, I think thats one of the reasons why I like Tim Thomas his style seems to be just trying to get a body part in front of the puck.

devils30mb

King "Marty" Kong
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much agree with your opinions on the style, I think thats one of the reasons why I like Tim Thomas his style seems to be just trying to get a body part in front of the puck.

Haven't watch Tim Thomas much but what you are saying here is remnants of how Hasek played, very unorthodox. However, Hasek was very athletic and I'm not sure Thomas is as athletic.

The other thing that you are seeing is much more groin and hip injuries today too in goaltending. Could the this style be putting much more strain on the goalies and possibly reduce their career time in the NHL. I think there might be a link there.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, hes not very athletic. Haters say Marty flops around on the ice alot, but its nothing compared to Timmy

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For the first question: I have no idea. I'm pretty sure that the pads starting to increase at an alarming rate during the same time that the Butterfly style started to be popular. I think this is the same time that teams started to get goalie coaches. one or more of those things caused an improvement in goaltending and my guess is that it was extra coaching of the butterfly style (It is the easiest style to coach).

For the second question: I think goalies still need good goaltending talent to be able to make a career in the NHL. all the goalies in the NHL can make the first stop. Its the rebound control and ability to make the 2nd or 3rd save that separates the good from the average. The goalies still need talent to do those.

Additional point: The trapezoid rule really pisses me off because it was a huge step backwards for goaltending. The players were finally becoming talented at not just stopping the puck but starting plays and helping the defense with good puck handling. Now the goalies just regressed back to their stationary role with an occasional stopping of a clearing attempt.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Today basically all goalies are playing the butterfly style, with Brodeur playing a hybrid style and I would not call it full fledge butterfly (which is why I like Brodeur

Marty's not even close to a butterfly goalie, but I agree with everything else you say.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marty's not even close to a butterfly goalie, .

Can you please find the people that make EA's NHL series and tell them this? Also tell them that Elias is the playmaker and Parise is the sniper(maybe even grinder) and not the other way around.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a goalie coach by profession, people too often simply say butterfly is a blocking style. some, like giguere, use it that way. but its not meant to be. the angle of your legs and stick allow you to simply control rebounds, it revolves around being in the right place at teh right time (not by luck) and having the ability to remain athletic if need be, but in control and ready to move to the next puck