• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Butker

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the #1 selling jersey in the NFL after his stated his beliefs and point of view at a college graduation speech. Good for him not caving to society norms now and being brave enough to say what many of us wish we could say but don't have the platform. The platforms seem to be loaded with those that believe the opposite. Thumbs up Harrison.

Last edited:

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the #1 selling jersey in the NFL after his stated his beliefs and point of view at a college graduation speech. Good for him not caving to society norms now and being brave enough to say what many of us wish we could say but don't have the platform. The platforms seem to be loaded with those that believe the opposite. Thumbs up Harrison.
FFS, take this to the political board. Butker can have his own views on the world and he's been given the right of free speech, so he can express them. So, I won't editorialize beyond that.

I will mention that I find it ironic that the same folks that told Lebron to "shut up and dribble" because he had an opinion on the president at the time (Trump) are likely among those that are now proud owners of a Butker jersey.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FFS, take this to the political board. Butker can have his own views on the world and he's been given the right of free speech, so he can express them. So, I won't editorialize beyond that.

I will mention that I find it ironic that the same folks that told Lebron to "shut up and dribble" because he had an opinion on the president at the time (Trump) are likely among those that are now proud owners of a Butker jersey.
I apologize. It had nothing to do politically from my point of view. I stated the jersey sales, and I said good for him expressing his views with the way cancel culture goes now a days. I read an article that came up in my news feed about the NFL and Chiefs supposedly distancing themselves from him. I was not saying anything about my political views, and his speech related to women and their role in family unit, not politics. So not really sure why you are jumping down my throat.

LeBron has the right to say what he wants. I don't fault anyone for having their own opinion. I was just pointing out we don't see too many people in the public eye taking the unpopular stance on things publicly.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I apologize. It had nothing to do politically from my point of view. I stated the jersey sales, and I said good for him expressing his views with the way cancel culture goes now a days. I read an article that came up in my news feed about the NFL and Chiefs supposedly distancing themselves from him. I was not saying anything about my political views, and his speech related to women and their role in family unit, not politics. So not really sure why you are jumping down my throat.

LeBron has the right to say what he wants. I don't fault anyone for having their own opinion. I was just pointing out we don't see too many people in the public eye taking the unpopular stance on things publicly.
I'm not trying to jump down your throat. I don't think Butker is taking much of a risk at all.... As you said, his jersey sales have gone way up. I feel sorry for the parents in attendance at the graduation.... I don't see any reason for political criticism on a day we are celebrating our children's accomplishments. I felt the same way for those that did similar during the Trump era. He made it about him - It is not about him.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To further my point that his speech was selfish.... I understand it was given at a Catholic university. But, it was not welcomed by that University. It was not in their value system and they have condemned it. Butker is selfish. And he's a Chief. That's 2 strikes against him.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to jump down your throat. I don't think Butker is taking much of a risk at all.... As you said, his jersey sales have gone way up. I feel sorry for the parents in attendance at the graduation.... I don't see any reason for political criticism on a day we are celebrating our children's accomplishments. I felt the same way for those that did similar during the Trump era. He made it about him - It is not about him.
He is a Catholic man, he was giving a speech at a Catholic school graduation. Is that still the wrong place to discuss Catholic beliefs and how society has changed our viewpoint on the nuclear family and our ability to get back to those goals?

I am sorry again. I was not meaning to upset or trigger anyone, just wanted to say good for him standing up and giving a directed speech to students attending a college with catholic foundations. Shame on NFL and Chiefs from supposedly distancing themselves by making public announcements that his point of view is not the same as the NFL and the Chiefs. Why did they have to say anything? Can't Butker just have his opinion without everyone having to immediately jump up and say...he doesn't speak for us! No one thought he did, but they had to jump up and say it right away anyways.

Anyways, I apologize again.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a speech.

Not the first speech given by someone who included their own beliefs/values - regardless of what values those may be. Won't be the last.

Meh. Big nothing-burger.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he was just straight out telling women, you need to be child vessels and cook and clean. I think he was just telling both men and women to put focus back on the family. That the family is the most important thing you will do in this world. Your relationships with your family, and your roles as that family grows. I didn't read the speech. If he literally told women, you need to forget about careers and just be child vessels and cook and clean for your family, then that was pretty sexist. I am not ashamed to say, my wife is smarter than me, and she makes more money than me. However, her focus is on family and God first. I reciprocate that and try to be the man she needs and my kids need.

Go into the world. Make your coin, but don't let it be your driving force. Let all you do be for God and your family. For those that don't believe in God, let it be about your family. Sacrifice, love and raise your children in a good home with loving parents that don't fight, that don't get divorced, that don't abuse or ignore the children. Focus on what is in front of you and make the best of that. Learn to compromise and accept your role in the family as a mother and father provide very different aspects of growing up for children.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also doesn't have to be political to believe that there is a hierarchy to Men and Women's roles in society.

They are built differently. They are created differently. By and large - Men and Women are....different. With innate skillsets. That doesn't mean that a man can't be a stay-at-home dad, or that a woman can't be the CEO of some Billion dollar company - but those are the exceptions, not the rule for various reasons that have nothing to do with politics.

At the end of the day, what matters to you and your family - is how you come together to make it work.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he was just straight out telling women, you need to be child vessels and cook and clean. I think he was just telling both men and women to put focus back on the family. That the family is the most important thing you will do in this world. Your relationships with your family, and your roles as that family grows. I didn't read the speech. If he literally told women, you need to forget about careers and just be child vessels and cook and clean for your family, then that was pretty sexist. I am not ashamed to say, my wife is smarter than me, and she makes more money than me. However, her focus is on family and God first. I reciprocate that and try to be the man she needs and my kids need.

Go into the world. Make your coin, but don't let it be your driving force. Let all you do be for God and your family. For those that don't believe in God, let it be about your family. Sacrifice, love and raise your children in a good home with loving parents that don't fight, that don't get divorced, that don't abuse or ignore the children. Focus on what is in front of you and make the best of that. Learn to compromise and accept your role in the family as a mother and father provide very different aspects of growing up for children.
I think you are hearing/reading what you want to and placing your own values on it. As I mentioned, Catholic school or not, the nuns at the school have condemned the speech and are not in favor of it's content. This isn't me placing my values on it - This is coming from them.

I've read very little from Butker about what you write so nicely in your second paragraph. Instead, I've read about him criticizing families that use fertility treatments to conceive..... How a Catholic can reconcile this level of criticism for a family that tries so desperately wants to bring a child into this world is beyond me. But yeah, go get yourself a jersey.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a speech.

Not the first speech given by someone who included their own beliefs/values - regardless of what values those may be. Won't be the last.

Meh. Big nothing-burger.
That was basically my first point. He has a right to his own opinion and the freedom to express his opinion. There are times when folks don't want to listen to those opinons.... For instance, on a football message board. You @Cincyfan78 are one of the first to tell people to move to the politics board (for example). My point is that I don't think the students and families needed his opinion on these topics on their graduation day - It clearly did not land the way the school had hoped when inviting him.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he would have been better keeping is thoughts to himself.making an ass of yourself in public is,nt wise.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was basically my first point. He has a right to his own opinion and the freedom to express his opinion. There are times when folks don't want to listen to those opinons.... For instance, on a football message board. You @Cincyfan78 are one of the first to tell people to move to the politics board (for example). My point is that I don't think the students and families needed his opinion on these topics on their graduation day - It clearly did not land the way the school had hoped when inviting him.
Guess I didn't find it inherently political - but never let it be said that I can't be wrong...

Either way ... It's over now - let's talk about how badly the Bengals will beat the Chiefs...

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he would have been better keeping is thoughts to himself.making an ass of yourself in public is,nt wise.
I think he'll find plenty of support from NFL fans...... My only hope is that this causes a distraction for him and he misses a bunch of field goals this year and KC loses games because of it. Because I like when KC loses. :)

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll find plenty of support from NFL fans...... My only hope is that this causes a distraction for him and he misses a bunch of field goals this year and KC loses games because of it. Because I like when KC loses. :)
I,m a skins fan,so I don,t care what kc does tbh.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I didn't find it inherently political - but never let it be said that I can't be wrong...

Either way ... It's over now - let's talk about how badly the Bengals will beat the Chiefs...
Final point - You didn't find it political? There was a whole section where he criticized the current president for COVID policies and called him a baby killer. I think that's political, but maybe I'm misreading it?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final point - You didn't find it political? There was a whole section where he criticized the current president for COVID policies and called him a baby killer. I think that's political, but maybe I'm misreading it?
That was 1 section of his speech - not the entire speech. Lots of "controversial" takes, but his take on Biden was just 1 section.

But I digress - Could/Should this have been over on the Politics board...Sure.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said I didn't read the speech, only what the article discussed and it was all about women. So if he said all that, then that is on him, and he reaps what he sows.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
said what was on his mind I guess.

amazing how people dissect it and take it out of context.

yes, women should have lucrative careers if they choose.
yes, women should be homemakers if they choose.

yes, .. it's very difficult for a woman to have her cake and eat it too.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CDS... didn't know you were a cult guy. Good to know who people are. Not that smart after all. sad.