• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buster Posey

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Didn't want to start a new thread for this)

BTW, pointafter.com ranked Buster Posey as the #1 catcher in the majors in 2015, by a very large margin (Y Molina was about #10). You can read the full rankings here (including methodology) : http://baseball-players.pointafter.com/stories/8852/ranking-mlb-catchers-worst-best-2015

but the text on Buster's page is :

"No surprises here, as Posey comfortably ranks as the No. 1 catcher from 2015. The former MVP and three-time World Series champion ranked No. 1 in WAR, dWAR, batting average, slugging percentage, OPS, RBI and hits.

Even though he's playing more and more games at first base to preserve himself as he gets older, Posey remains the best catcher in baseball by just about any measure
".

Edit: I dont want to clutter the Current Roster thread with this, but I think it is worth a discussion. -cal

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the MLB main page, there has been a tourney for best players all time at each position. Posey is still early in his career, so he did not qualify for inclusion, but I noted in one of those threads that I believe Posey, RIGHT NOW, already ranks as one of the all-time greats.

1) Bench
2) Berra
3) Carter / Rodriguez / Fisk / Posey
7) Piazza

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to think of an active player who is a more sure-fire Hall of Famer, and I'm not sure I can...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to think of an active player who is a more sure-fire Hall of Famer, and I'm not sure I can...
Pujols
Cabrera

Others who are in the same class...

Kershaw
Beltre
Molina

I am positive I am forgetting a bunch of super-obvious guys.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the HOF deal for current players.

The only locks if their careers ended tomorrow are Pujols and probably Cabrera, maybe Beltre or Molina. Long shot Ortiz, maybe even Verlander. Some of these will get in with 1-2 more productive years.

There's a group of players that pass the eye test of HOFers but if their career ended tomorrow it would mean they fall short because not enough playing time to justify it: Posey, Trout, Harper, Kershaw, Goldschmidt

Then there's A-Rod. If Bonds and Clemens eventually make it I have to think he does too.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uh, yeah? I get he's pretty young, as is Harper. But they have the 'look'. So did Posey right off the bat, so did Jeter. Some guys you just know they are meant for the Hall, assuming long enough careers. Timmy was like that, but obviously he faltered too soon.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the HOF deal for current players.

The only locks if their careers ended tomorrow are Pujols and probably Cabrera, maybe Beltre or Molina. Long shot Ortiz, maybe even Verlander. Some of these will get in with 1-2 more productive years.

There's a group of players that pass the eye test of HOFers but if their career ended tomorrow it would mean they fall short because not enough playing time to justify it: Posey, Trout, Harper, Kershaw, Goldschmidt

Then there's A-Rod. If Bonds and Clemens eventually make it I have to think he does too.
Larry King tweeted a sad but interesting point:

The all-time HR leader, the all-time hits leader, and a 7-time Cy Young award winner may never make it to the Hall of Fame.

Certainly, IMHO, the all-time hits leader should never be allowed in, ever.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The all-time HR leader, the all-time hits leader, and a 7-time Cy Young award winner may never make it to the Hall of Fame.

Certainly, IMHO, the all-time hits leader should never be allowed in, ever.
The owners never encouraged Rose to commit his "crime".

The same cannot be said about Bonds, Clemens or Rodriguez.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Certainly, IMHO, the all-time hits leader should never be allowed in, ever

Disagree on this, after he dies let him in, and make sure the plaque tells the story.

Reactions: LHG

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What Bonds, Clemens, and ARod did was try to play the game as best as they could. I don't fault them for that on that basis, in a vacuum. What they did was wrong, but they did it to play as best they could.

What Rose did goes to the heart of the integrity of the game. Integrity is what separates MLB from the WWE.

I for one love sports when I trust that the competitors are trying their hardest to win the game on a level playing field. That is sacred.

What Rose did was blashpheme that sacredness, breaching that trust. He could have done things to throw games to win bets, or satisfy bookies to whom he was in very deep.

That is unforgivable.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Bonds, Clemens, and ARod did was try to play the game as best as they could. I don't fault them for that on that basis, in a vacuum. What they did was wrong, but they did it to play as best they could.

What Rose did goes to the heart of the integrity of the game. Integrity is what separates MLB from the WWE.

I for one love sports when I trust that the competitors are trying their hardest to win the game on a level playing field. That is sacred.

What Rose did was blashpheme that sacredness, breaching that trust. He could have done things to throw games to win bets, or satisfy bookies to whom he was in very deep.

That is unforgivable.
What people seem to forget when steroids and HGH were popular in baseball that there was no written policy against them in the MLB. For those who used the stuff, they certainly set a bad example and that should be made abundantly clear but if MLB didn't feel that it was wrong enough to put a stop to it, then there shouldn't be a reason to keep them out of the Hall of Fame. Policing the HOF suddenly for moral reasons is a bit arbitrary when one considers who did get into the HOF.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What people seem to forget when steroids and HGH were popular in baseball that there was no written policy against them in the MLB. For those who used the stuff, they certainly set a bad example and that should be made abundantly clear but if MLB didn't feel that it was wrong enough to put a stop to it, then there shouldn't be a reason to keep them out of the Hall of Fame. Policing the HOF suddenly for moral reasons is a bit arbitrary when one considers who did get into the HOF.

No, plenty of people know that but they are drowned out by the priggish morality police. Then again arguing about this stuff is exactly what MLB and the HOF want.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some people forget that Major league baseball was Trumpeting McGwire and Sosa the year before, according to the testimony of Bond's mistress, he started using because lesser players were getting all the Love. Baseball was making a big comeback and to challenge the players union and to risk a season stoppage to get a new PED's policy would be though to take that risk was not compelling so we can't dismiss the players association in this story. Also except for the early usage by Canseco and McGwire almost all the early users were fringe players or those trying to move up on a roster it was more a bottom up movement also their are 'some' old-timers who can be a bit holier than thou saying they would never have used but we know there were some who previously good tried to extend their careers by using later on during this era. One thing not know is that the grossest from of steroids was available around the time Babe Ruth's career stated and in retrospect should have done the job and if some of the lesser players would have known do you really think that some wouldn't have used had they known? If they had known it would also been a bottom up movement.

Pete Rose on the other hand was responsible for his own actions and had the gambling disease and as pointed out here it is a threat to the integrity of the game such as it is.