• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Burns signs extension

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from teh blog. A little under 6 per for 5 is the early word.

ads_2006

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Welp

I think thats less than what we all expected.

Good job Dougie

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, its a bit risky with the concussion history, but if he goes off this year for 50+ point with double digit goals and plays upwards of 25 mins/game as he very well may, then its a very good deal. Top young Dmen can command 6-7M easily. Also, if the cap rises in the next few years, that makes it a smaller percentage of the cap every year, functionally cheaper and cheaper.

Risky, but likely brilliant and 5.75M is very reasonable. Overall, I like it and with Boyle aging quickly, the sharks desperately need a new #1 for the next gen.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah, its a bit risky with the concussion history, but if he goes off this year for 50+ point with double digit goals and plays upwards of 25 mins/game as he very well may, then its a very good deal. Top young Dmen can command 6-7M easily. Also, if the cap rises in the next few years, that makes it a smaller percentage of the cap every year, functionally cheaper and cheaper.

Risky, but likely brilliant and 5.75M is very reasonable. Overall, I like it and with Boyle aging quickly, the sharks desperately need a new #1 for the next gen.

He's only had one concussion and the only reason he missed as much time as he did is because the Wild medical staff misdiagnosed it as a severe sinus infection. Ironically, the following year they misdiagnosed his sinus infection as a concussion causing him to miss more games then necessary.

$5.75m per is a fantastic cap number for him. I expected something closer to the $7.0m mark.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At or under 6per? Check

Signed through his prime? Check

Me hoping people can shut up about sending too much in return to the wild? Don't let me down, guys (and gal).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
28.8 5.76 per. Not bad at all Dougie Doug.

Nimesis23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With the shitty offseason the Niners are having, this is the best Bay Area sports news I've heard for weeks.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Even one concussion can be big and lay the foundation for future ones (see sid the kid), but I think that's why dougie got the price he did. if he had absolutely no injury history, then he would have been closer to 6.5.

Right now, there are only 7 Dmen in the entire league with a cap hit above 6M and only 1 above 7 (campbell). As such, paying him 7M per year would put him in a pretty impressive company. 5.75M on the cap puts him 9th (likely to be 10th once doughty is signed). I would say that's about right. he is pretty close to a top 10 dman, so I think it's a good price, though not absurdly low.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Either way a steal and he is locked up, with Demers in Braun in the system, and Burns and Boyle here, the sharks defensive future looks incredibly bright for a change

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even one concussion can be big and lay the foundation for future ones (see sid the kid), but I think that's why dougie got the price he did. if he had absolutely no injury history, then he would have been closer to 6.5.

Right now, there are only 7 Dmen in the entire league with a cap hit above 6M and only 1 above 7 (campbell). As such, paying him 7M per year would put him in a pretty impressive company. 5.75M on the cap puts him 9th (likely to be 10th once doughty is signed). I would say that's about right. he is pretty close to a top 10 dman, so I think it's a good price, though not absurdly low.

9th or 10th highest paid sounds about right for him. If he can keep his offensive numbers up this year I think he could have got more on the FA market next summer.

I feel much better about the trade now that he is signed.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great deal! Signing Burns before he is about to have a career year, and before he hits UFA status where so many teams have abundant cap space was crucial. Had he hit 50+ points he would have commanded $6.5-$7 easily, considering his youth, too.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I'd be interested to see where he stands in actual salary for this coming year.

Burns has put in a full two seasons post concussion, there's something to be said for that. The severity of the concussion weighs heavily on the propencity for reoccurance. Burns cuncussion was not a severe one, like Sids was/is, but cost him a lot of time because of misdiagnosis.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd be interested to see where he stands in actual salary for this coming year.

Burns has put in a full two seasons post concussion, there's something to be said for that. The severity of the concussion weighs heavily on the propencity for reoccurance. Burns cuncussion was not a severe one, like Sids was/is, but cost him a lot of time because of misdiagnosis.

for the 2012-13 season (the 1st year of the deal), he'll be 50th in the league and 11th among defensemen in actual salary. Of course there are a few to-be-UFA's and RFA's that could push him down the list a bit (Doughty, possibly suter... Erik Johnson, goligoski, or tyler myers have an outside chance of a big overpay).

certainly if he falls to 13th or 14th in salary among Dmen, then it's pretty good. Overall, its hard to argue that it is a significant overpay, though 7M would have been too much (7M would have put him 6th in salary, and I'm not so sure he is the 6th best Dmen in the entire league).

Anything from 5.5 to 6.5 would be in range I believe. He isnt exactly 100% proven just yet. He's only 10 goals and 33 total points per 82 games played. Its good numbers, and he obviously has shown that he can score (something the sharks desperately needed more of from the D), but he hasn't exactly lit it up for 3 or 4 straight years just yet.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
sharklander3.gif

Props to Markus on HF for this.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just occured to me that we are only paying Burns slightly more than twice what we were paying Wallin.

I'll just let that sink in...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
hahah... you can feel better about anything when you compare it with the 4.2M that he gave to huskins and wallin. No doubt that its a big bonus compared to them :-)

I think this is actually a really big year for justin braun. 5 D are now signed through next year. Obviously, burns' ice will rise as boyle's declines. Pickles looks to have leveled off and murray's ice will probably decline too as he will be 33 by the end of the first year of Burns' extension. Demers can be expected to start playing in excfess of 20 mins per game and should be effective, but if boyle recedes, the sharks will have to find the future on D. Burns and demers is not sufficient for threats and braun might be counted on. It would be great if he could have a real breakout year and solidify himself as another dman of the future.

I suppose it is possible that acolatse or dougherty emerges in the next year or two, but I'm not so confident. The future largely depends on this year...

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I haven't been able to closely watch Burns play when he was in MIN. How is he defensively in his own zone? The speed and ability to rush with the puck is appealing and very noticable, but how about his ability to play in front of his own net?