• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Burns signs extension

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So, I haven't been able to closely watch Burns play when he was in MIN. How is he defensively in his own zone? The speed and ability to rush with the puck is appealing and very noticable, but how about his ability to play in front of his own net?

It's tough to say. He was expected to be the main offensive catalyst, only offensive catalyst actually, from the back end in Minnesota and his defense probably suffered a bit from it. Overall I'd list him as solid in his own zone.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job getting it done before the season, it protects the a HUGE investment. Honestly, I was expecting Burns' annual cap hit to be around at least a million dollars more than 5.76. So overall I'm pleased, nice work Dougie.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hahah... you can feel better about anything when you compare it with the 4.2M that he gave to huskins and wallin. No doubt that its a big bonus compared to them :-)

I think this is actually a really big year for justin braun. 5 D are now signed through next year. Obviously, burns' ice will rise as boyle's declines. Pickles looks to have leveled off and murray's ice will probably decline too as he will be 33 by the end of the first year of Burns' extension. Demers can be expected to start playing in excfess of 20 mins per game and should be effective, but if boyle recedes, the sharks will have to find the future on D. Burns and demers is not sufficient for threats and braun might be counted on. It would be great if he could have a real breakout year and solidify himself as another dman of the future.

I suppose it is possible that acolatse or dougherty emerges in the next year or two, but I'm not so confident. The future largely depends on this year...
vlasiv isn't even close. To leveling out, you'll see this season when he isn't saddled with a liabilty as a defensive partner

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
man, I hope you are right. As of now, I havent seen any signs of emerging as a legit 2-way Dman. He had a 20 or 30 game flash in 08-09, when the sharks had 4 of the top 10 Dmen in the league, but other than that he looks like a 20-25 point player who is a solid #4 or #5 on a cup caliber team. Furthermore he is still looking for his first postseason goal after 63 games. I like the guy on the PK and he is still valuable, but he has shown virtually no offensive flair, so other than his junior history, I'm not sure where your expectation of a legit two-way threat comes from?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So, is braun going to play in wooster since they have 7 1-way deals in front of him? seems important that he gets some NHL ice this season?

Also, what are the projected pairs?
Boyle-murray
Burns-Demers
Vlasic-Vandemeer
Moore
??

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, is braun going to play in wooster since they have 7 1-way deals in front of him? seems important that he gets some NHL ice this season?

Also, what are the projected pairs?
Boyle-murray
Burns-Demers
Vlasic-Vandemeer
Moore
??

I would guess it would be something like this:

Burns-Vlasic
Boyle-Murray
Demers-Vandemeer

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sharklander3.gif

Props to Markus on HF for this.

Still cracks me up, but I preferred the one with Heatler. Something about his goofy face.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I do have to say that the with this addition the sharks top D are HOT!

hahaha... get it?

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess it would be something like this:

Burns-Vlasic
Boyle-Murray
Demers-Vandemeer

I think the pairings should be this too. Burns can be offensively aggressive knowing Vlasic is thinking defense. Vlasic thrives when someone else can start the offensive breakout for him. Boyle/Murray is a known commodity that gets better because they are now opposing the other team's second line. These pairings also give the preferred right/left handed combos.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the pairings should be this too. Burns can be offensively aggressive knowing Vlasic is thinking defense. Vlasic thrives when someone else can start the offensive breakout for him. Boyle/Murray is a known commodity that gets better because they are now opposing the other team's second line. These pairings also give the preferred right/left handed combos.

actually Vlasic suffers when that happens because it chokes off his ability to produce when he has to baby sit his partner, leaving him with Demers is the best option. It opens up the possability to get even more offense from your defense which would be a good thing for the sharks.

Burns with Vandy is probably your best bet, Vandy isnt being paid to score

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually Vlasic suffers when that happens because it chokes off his ability to produce when he has to baby sit his partner, leaving him with Demers is the best option. It opens up the possability to get even more offense from your defense which would be a good thing for the sharks.

Burns with Vandy is probably your best bet, Vandy isnt being paid to score

I agree that Vlasic suffers when he has to babysit, but I wouldn't call covering for Burns babysitting as much as covering for, say, Wallin. Vlasic will have to watch for Burns because Burns is aggressive offensively. Vlasic had to watch for Wallin because Wallin was horrible defensively. I hope that made sense, lol.

Vandy is a nice 6th dman, but if Burns is matched up against opposition top lines, I don't think Vandy can handle that nor should he be asked to handle that task. For example, which pairing would you feel more comfortable playing against Getzlaf/Perry/Ryan? Burns/Vlasic or Burns/Vandy?

I have full confidence in Vlasic staying with any top forward in the NHL and able to hold his own. Vlasic has shown the ability to handle top minutes when he was paired with Blake. Blake took care of all the breakouts and was the triggerman from the point for the offense 5 on 5. Burns can play the Blake role.

I totally agree with you that Vlasic/Demers played very well at the end of last season, no doubt. But Burns changes things and I feel it's worth it to try Vlasic out with a different partner. I like Demers' trending up defensively, but sometimes he gets caught watching the play too much. Before he gets slotted into top 4 minutes, let's allow him to play 16-17 minutes to figure some things out against opposition third lines.

Any way we look at it, Todd has a good problem on his hands. He can stay with what works, Murray/Boyle - Vlasic/Demers, or change things up.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree that Vlasic suffers when he has to babysit, but I wouldn't call covering for Burns babysitting as much as covering for, say, Wallin. Vlasic will have to watch for Burns because Burns is aggressive offensively. Vlasic had to watch for Wallin because Wallin was horrible defensively. I hope that made sense, lol.

Vandy is a nice 6th dman, but if Burns is matched up against opposition top lines, I don't think Vandy can handle that nor should he be asked to handle that task. For example, which pairing would you feel more comfortable playing against Getzlaf/Perry/Ryan? Burns/Vlasic or Burns/Vandy?

I have full confidence in Vlasic staying with any top forward in the NHL and able to hold his own. Vlasic has shown the ability to handle top minutes when he was paired with Blake. Blake took care of all the breakouts and was the triggerman from the point for the offense 5 on 5. Burns can play the Blake role.

I totally agree with you that Vlasic/Demers played very well at the end of last season, no doubt. But Burns changes things and I feel it's worth it to try Vlasic out with a different partner. I like Demers' trending up defensively, but sometimes he gets caught watching the play too much. Before he gets slotted into top 4 minutes, let's allow him to play 16-17 minutes to figure some things out against opposition third lines.

Any way we look at it, Todd has a good problem on his hands. He can stay with what works, Murray/Boyle - Vlasic/Demers, or change things up.

Vlasic had to babysit Blake the entire time here in San Jose it was a one man defensive unit and 4 forwards. It stifled his offense and wore him down over the season.

Vlasic needs a partner who can skate well and retrieve pucks out of the corner, from the limited things i've seen of Burns he isnt very good in his own end when it comes to getting pucks off the boards or in the corners he is more like Dan Boyle defensively he stands around the crease or skates to a puck that squirts out from a scrum in the corner to start a break out.

Vlasic and Demers skated equally well and quite frankly were a shut down pairing with some offensive pop. And add the big hits Demers is adding to his game you don't want to break it up. Its more less a poor mans version of Stuart and Kronwall, with better mobility. Ill take that any day of the week

Vandemeer was thrust into top minutes roll in edmonton last season and did quite well all things considered, if he is paired with burns he slides into the #4 spot which he can handle fine.

It also creates a horrendous match up problem for oppossing teams if Vlasic and Demers are your 3rd pair. It also creates great flexability for the coaching staff because now they can really control minutes and that will extend guys like Boyles career at playing at a high level and come playoff time. Its a no lose situation really

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Vlasic had to babysit Blake the entire time here in San Jose it was a one man defensive unit and 4 forwards. It stifled his offense and wore him down over the season.

Vlasic needs a partner who can skate well and retrieve pucks out of the corner, from the limited things i've seen of Burns he isnt very good in his own end when it comes to getting pucks off the boards or in the corners he is more like Dan Boyle defensively he stands around the crease or skates to a puck that squirts out from a scrum in the corner to start a break out.

Vlasic and Demers skated equally well and quite frankly were a shut down pairing with some offensive pop. And add the big hits Demers is adding to his game you don't want to break it up. Its more less a poor mans version of Stuart and Kronwall, with better mobility. Ill take that any day of the week

Vandemeer was thrust into top minutes roll in edmonton last season and did quite well all things considered, if he is paired with burns he slides into the #4 spot which he can handle fine.

It also creates a horrendous match up problem for oppossing teams if Vlasic and Demers are your 3rd pair. It also creates great flexability for the coaching staff because now they can really control minutes and that will extend guys like Boyles career at playing at a high level and come playoff time. Its a no lose situation really

I'm gonna disagree with you here Korky. Burns is good along the boards and in front of his own net. He's a physical player and one of the better ones in the league at breaking up a cycle. Burns is very respectable in his own end, much better than Demers IMO, even when he's focused primarily on producing offense.

Vlasic's issues arise when he's expected to be both the primary defensive presence as well as the primary puck mover in a pairing as was the case when he was paired with Wallin. If you take the puck moving responsibilities away from Vlasic both the offensive and defensive aspects of his game improve.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm gonna disagree with you here Korky. Burns is good along the boards and in front of his own net. He's a physical player and one of the better ones in the league at breaking up a cycle. Burns is very respectable in his own end, much better than Demers IMO, even when he's focused primarily on producing offense.

Vlasic's issues arise when he's expected to be both the primary defensive presence as well as the primary puck mover in a pairing as was the case when he was paired with Wallin. If you take the puck moving responsibilities away from Vlasic both the offensive and defensive aspects of his game improve.

Im just going off of what ive seen of him which hasnt been much, he seems to be good in transtion when the backing up and defending angles and taking away the middle. But once play slows down it seems he is very stationary he wont move from his little area he is standing in lol.

I will agree on Vlasic not being able to carry the puck out of the zone or make a good long pass but he is good at getting pucks and then getting them to his defensive partner to start the break. So yeah what you said about Vlasic

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What I see is that pickles has basically no shot from the point and is not strong keeping pucks in. I remember countless times when he had shots blocked for flubbed out of the zone. I understand that he had some babysitting duties, but I just dont see his shot suddenly improving and getting through more or any of that stuff. He is one of the best PKers and defensive Dmen on the team, if not THE best, but that's really his specialty and I dont see him emerging as a 30+ point player unless he is paired with burns and can get some assists on D to D passes or the like.

I wonder what we are gunna get from vandy. I dont know him well at all, but he doesnt exactly seem like a star. it's true that in march and april he was playing 21 mins/game for edmonton which is certainly top 3/4 time, but he hasnt played more than 62 games in the last 3 seasons. Isn't he just another huskins? Big, not very quick, injury-prone, depth player? is he really good enough defensively to play significant minutes on the sharks blueline?

not to mention the Sharks will be his 6th team since 07-08. he hasnt played more than a year with one team sine 05-07 with chicago (2 years). If he is solid, why is he moving around that much?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vlasic has no strength at all when it comes to driving the puck. He'll never have a shot and he'll float backhanders up the boards but not out of the zone unless he gets stronger. Kid needs to juice or something.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What I see is that pickles has basically no shot from the point and is not strong keeping pucks in. I remember countless times when he had shots blocked for flubbed out of the zone. I understand that he had some babysitting duties, but I just dont see his shot suddenly improving and getting through more or any of that stuff. He is one of the best PKers and defensive Dmen on the team, if not THE best, but that's really his specialty and I dont see him emerging as a 30+ point player unless he is paired with burns and can get some assists on D to D passes or the like.

I wonder what we are gunna get from vandy. I dont know him well at all, but he doesnt exactly seem like a star. it's true that in march and april he was playing 21 mins/game for edmonton which is certainly top 3/4 time, but he hasnt played more than 62 games in the last 3 seasons. Isn't he just another huskins? Big, not very quick, injury-prone, depth player? is he really good enough defensively to play significant minutes on the sharks blueline?

not to mention the Sharks will be his 6th team since 07-08. he hasnt played more than a year with one team sine 05-07 with chicago (2 years). If he is solid, why is he moving around that much?

If he didn't have to focus on watching his defensive partners where abouts when in the offensive. Zone his ability to keep more pucks in and get more one timers off and also he would be able to shoot the seams which he is good at. He is constantly having to lean towards leaving the zone because he has to cover it destroys your ability to do a lot of things

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully this will take some minutes off of Boyle. Guy is getting up there in age, and maybe not suited to be the number #1 guy any more. He seems to be a bit over matched in his own end and the combination of him and Murray have a hard time against faster teams. Maybe time to break them up:

Burns-Murray
Boyle-Pickles
Demers-Vandemeer

EDIT: I forgot about the White signing. Maybe Demers - Vandemeer/White

Last edited by a moderator: