• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Burns a shark!

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Braun can be very good next season.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Burns and White played the same role with the Sharks next year you'd only be looking at about a 10 point differential between the two. Burns is slightly better on both sides of the puck but White is better in transition which is going to be a huge necessity if the team doesn't drastically improve it's speed on the front end.

Are you saying that Burns does not have as good an outlet pass as White? And/Or that Burns does not skate with the puck up ice as well? I'm not disagreeing, just asking you to explain further.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are you saying that Burns does not have as good an outlet pass as White? And/Or that Burns does not skate with the puck up ice as well? I'm not disagreeing, just asking you to explain further.

White has next to no outlet pass, he is a lot like Boyle and carries the puck out of the zone, so im guessing he is suggesting that Burns skates poorly with the puck.

However that being said i do believe he is capable of making the long pass, which could really open up the sharks offense, they've missed that since blake retired.

Im still not convinced White is a gone just yet either, this reminds me of the goaltending situation last season, one thing White does incredibly well is walk the blue line to get to a open shooting lane. He and Braun are the only 2 sharks Dmen that showed they are capable of doing it

Braun has shown that he is capable of doing it, it just remains to be seen if he can do it on a regular basis

Last edited by a moderator:

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Burns is a much better player than white hands down. Burns is a 25+ minute guy and very importantly, he can score goals from the blueline. In the vancouver series, the sharks D was outscored 8-1. It just so happens that the totalo goal differential in the series was also 7 goals. In other words, the forwards were even, but the sharks were ultimately beaten by bieksa, salo, and the nucks D. If burns offers a serious threat and shot from the point, it will open up the low game for the sharks and could be huge.

As for braun, who knows? His defensive game was clearly insufficient last year, but he barely got a sniff and it was irregular. This year, as a #6, he should get 12-15 minutes per game early in the year with PP time and specific matchups to help ease him into the league. He could stumble and if he does, then dougie can make a move for a solid depth defenseman during the year, but I think it makes alot of sense to give him a shot. After all, the other 5 D can all play pretty big minutes.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was surprised at first, and thought the Sharks gave up a lot, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized it was a good deal.
Seto is so inconsistent, and they tried to move him last season, but found no takers.
Burns is a 1 or 1A D-Man, as a D-man he had more points than Seto did as a forward, plays 25+ Min a night, will help the PP and PK, something Seto did not do.
I like Coyle too, from what I had heard about him, but you have to give up talent to get a top D-Man.
After I thought about the draft pick, that's almost gonna be a wash. Sharks gave up a very low 1st rounder this year for a probable very high 2nd next year. Maybe a 10 slot draft difference?
They are trying to win now, and I give Wilson credit for going for it.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Braun can be very good next season.

Same here. He was the one guy that got his shot on net when he played. He has a hard shot and goalies gave up a lot of rebounds on his shot. He'll be fine as the 6th D-Man.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Burns is a much better player than white hands down. Burns is a 25+ minute guy and very importantly, he can score goals from the blueline. In the vancouver series, the sharks D was outscored 8-1. It just so happens that the totalo goal differential in the series was also 7 goals. In other words, the forwards were even, but the sharks were ultimately beaten by bieksa, salo, and the nucks D. If burns offers a serious threat and shot from the point, it will open up the low game for the sharks and could be huge.

As for braun, who knows? His defensive game was clearly insufficient last year, but he barely got a sniff and it was irregular. This year, as a #6, he should get 12-15 minutes per game early in the year with PP time and specific matchups to help ease him into the league. He could stumble and if he does, then dougie can make a move for a solid depth defenseman during the year, but I think it makes alot of sense to give him a shot. After all, the other 5 D can all play pretty big minutes.

I think your leaving out the fact that in Minnie that Burns was the man and he did play forward on occasion on the pp, he wont be that in san jose so it may effect his numbers.

Im not sure about his shot from the point and wether he is good at getting it through or if he is more of a slasher. Should be a interesting season.

And i think your overstating the effect of those goals by the cannucks d because those goals came largely on 3 on 5's pp's. Not 5 on 5 play. Series clincher was a combined cluster fuck that shouldve never happened you cant say that goal was some skill based shot like say someone like lidstrom.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think your leaving out the fact that in Minnie that Burns was the man and he did play forward on occasion on the pp, he wont be that in san jose so it may effect his numbers.

Im not sure about his shot from the point and wether he is good at getting it through or if he is more of a slasher. Should be a interesting season.

And i think your overstating the effect of those goals by the cannucks d because those goals came largely on 3 on 5's pp's. Not 5 on 5 play. Series clincher was a combined cluster fuck that shouldve never happened you cant say that goal was some skill based shot like say someone like lidstrom.

No one but lidtrom could make that rediculous bat-out-of-the-air goal, but you also cant underestimate the importance on the 5 on 3 as well. Salo potted those two killers and the sharks D couldnt. Also, in Game 1 bieksa had the key 5-on-5 goal to tie the game in the 3rd. Then in game 2, bieksa had another 5-on-5 goal which was the go ahead goal to make it 3-2 (and would have been the GWG if eager didnt pot his useless one). Then in game 4, they got the 2 from Salo and in game 5, bieksa got the lucky break, but he also didnt miss and didnt look to pass. Also, the sharks D had zero 5-on-5 goals but the only goal they got happened to be the GWG in the only win.

Goals by defense are really really big, and having more than one legit threat from the back end will be huge. I hope we see something like the beginning of 08-09 when we had such a dominant top 4 (pickles, ehrhoff, blake, boyle), and were a juggernaut. Maybe Boyle, Burns, Demers, and Braun can be something like it?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No one but lidtrom could make that rediculous bat-out-of-the-air goal, but you also cant underestimate the importance on the 5 on 3 as well. Salo potted those two killers and the sharks D couldnt. Also, in Game 1 bieksa had the key 5-on-5 goal to tie the game in the 3rd. Then in game 2, bieksa had another 5-on-5 goal which was the go ahead goal to make it 3-2 (and would have been the GWG if eager didnt pot his useless one). Then in game 4, they got the 2 from Salo and in game 5, bieksa got the lucky break, but he also didnt miss and didnt look to pass. Also, the sharks D had zero 5-on-5 goals but the only goal they got happened to be the GWG in the only win.

Goals by defense are really really big, and having more than one legit threat from the back end will be huge. I hope we see something like the beginning of 08-09 when we had such a dominant top 4 (pickles, ehrhoff, blake, boyle), and were a juggernaut. Maybe Boyle, Burns, Demers, and Braun can be something like it?

I'm not saying its important, but when those guys are soring essentially tap in goals i think it's a bit overstated thats all.

I mean when a guy like boyle makes his own space and snipes one thats far more impressive then a 5 on 3 goal where its a collapsed umbrella from the bottom of the face off circles with everyone pulled to one side of the ice.

I think Demers is going to be this seasons Couture, he was showing things in his game that i didnt even know he had, he can hit,skate, carry the puck, and make the long pass.

So that really makes up a great top 4 for san jose now, and if Braun can put it together i think this group can be better then the 08-09 guys

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not saying its important, but when those guys are soring essentially tap in goals i think it's a bit overstated thats all.

I mean when a guy like boyle makes his own space and snipes one thats far more impressive then a 5 on 3 goal where its a collapsed umbrella from the bottom of the face off circles with everyone pulled to one side of the ice.

I think Demers is going to be this seasons Couture, he was showing things in his game that i didnt even know he had, he can hit,skate, carry the puck, and make the long pass.

So that really makes up a great top 4 for san jose now, and if Braun can put it together i think this group can be better then the 08-09 guys

Yeah, I hear yah kork. I really hope you are right about both braun and demers. I agree with you largely about demers. I think his injury hurt more than I expected against vancouver. The D looked really depleted without him. I hope he can pick it up and play 22 mins/game this season. He seems pretty good defensively already and is pretty mobile. I also really liked his ability to jump up and join the rush and make things happen by moving his feet. If he becomes a legit threat, then the sharks should indeed be in good shape.

The one knock on demers is his shot. Even in jr's, he didnt score much and his shot is below average. I think that might the one factor that keeps him from reaching top tier status. Boyle's shot isnt that great either, but it's still respectable. Maybe demers can develop an effective and accurate shot (accuracy and quickness being more important than velocity), but until he does, I dont seem him being the star you are describing.

I wonder if pickles will actually improve with the arrival of Burns. He has some two-way punch inside of him somewhere and maybe burns will help draw some of the tougher matchups leaving pickles available to play a bit more offensively.

For me, the biggest difference I foresee with burns is actually a vast improvement in the production of the forwards. How many times did the forwards play the puck back to the point only to have it either dumped back down low, fumbled out of the zone, or blocked out of the zone? The D was completely flatfooted and immobile along the blue and it was endlessly frustrating. If the sharks create 4 or 5 more netmouth scrambles each game because dman and get a shot through, it will be tremendous. Having 5 guys who are threats is really tough to defend compared to just 3 or even 4. If braun learns the defensive side and demers progresses then the sharks will have 4 legit offensive threats from the blueline and the team will become far more potent offensively.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so is everyone under the assumption that Braun isnt good? and wont get any better? i thought he was a young improving guy? guess im out of the loop? and is everyone forgetting Demers didnt play most of the couver seiers so adding him back gives us more mobility on the blue line? and petrecki could(maybe a big could) actually contribute this year as well.... is there any possibility you guys can do the glass half full perception for a few weeks, your killing my buzz...

It's not a matter of him not being any good or won't get any better. It's a matter of the Sharks being, and have been, in a "Win Now" environment. Couple that with the Sharks defensive group being fairly weak in their own zone and it makes the upgrade of Braun a clear necessity. At his current stage of developement he doesn't fit the teams "All or Nothing Win Now" mantra.

White's ability to break pressure with his superior skating ability lets the forwards extend out of the zone earlier thus minimizing their speed deficiency. It also forces the other team to extend it's defensive coverage witch allows for multiple entry options for the Sharks. White's outlet passing ability is very underrated but Burns is better in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lapdog, Torres, and now Kesler. Hate hate hate hate hate!

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully his on ice decisions are more sound than his decisions in tattoos.

brent_burns_and_the_harry_potter_tattoo_of_awesome.jpg