• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Burns a shark!

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Reghr is a worse skater then murray and his first step is slower then poovelskis

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the sharks deal sure does make the toronto's acquisition of liles look rediculously cheap. Liles isnt as good as burns but still one goes for a 2nd rounder and the other for 2 1st rounders and a legit top 6 forward? wow...

Still, can you imagine the sharks PP with a 17 goal scorer type shot from the point??? Jumbo mightt actually have an option at the blueline that can shoot (no offensive to boyler, but his goals come from movement and pinching not blistering slappers.) Burns is much more of a rob blake-type guy and the sharks really missed that this past year.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Regher is needed unless it was Murray for Regher. As it is, the Sharks have two dmen in the top 6 that are not puck movers, Murray and Vlasic. If there is an addition of Regher without the subtraction of Murray, that's not a move I'd want Dougie to make.

I agree that any moves left should be geared towards making a third scoring line. Braun's spot should be upgraded at the trade deadline.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dont get me wrong, I dont need regehr and never really suggested they go after him.

I think the D is good enough as it is to start the year. It's unclear what is going to happen with the D during the season. Can burns stay healthy? Will demers emerge as a legit top pairing dman at both ends of the rink? Will boyle's age catch up with him to the extreme or will he remain a legit top pair? Will braun develop into a steady NHLer or will his defensive game prove inadequate to handle a regular shift? There are too many X-factors on the D right now, so keeping a little cap space for mid-year deals might be prudent.

Of course there is always the X-factor of a rookie emerging. How good is sena acolatse? How about dougherty or matt irwin? Will petrecki finally develop into an NHL caliber player since he was highly touted during his draft year?

I, for one, actually look forward to seeing these questions answered. After all, if demers does prove capable of being a top liner, or braun does develop well, then adding another defenseman may be just a waste of valuable cap space.

Right now, the forward depth looks like the biggest problem, so I'd prefer dougie look there.

Nimesis23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After we've been to the WCF the last 2 years, I'm glad to see that the team is still pushing to win it all rather than worrying about what the team will look like in 3 years or beyond. 3 years from now the window will be closed, and almost all the big contracts we're carrying now will be off the books, so I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I'm glad to see them being aggressive atleast, and hopefully it'll work as well as the Boyle trade has.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I"m pretty ticked about this trade for two reasons: Seto was my favorite player and Burns could potentially be a 1 year rental player. If he does bolt, the Sharks once again mortgaged their future for the quickie. If Burns does sign long term, then obviously I won't be dreading this move as much. I would have rather traded Pavelski because how exactly are we going to replace a speedy, skilled scorer (albeit inconsistent) on the wings?

Let's not forget we're still packed with slugs in the likes of Clowe, Pavs, and Heater.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah... Dougie got fleeced.

Cmon? Please post and tell me otherwise? Like... any minute now, please?

It's was pretty steep price to pay. If Burns is re-signed it's a fair deal. This also gives the Sharks three 2nd round picks in a very deep 2012 draft.

As far as the team goes I'd still like to see them add Hejda to the back end then bring in either Leino or Jussi Jokinen to the top six.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we added Hejda I think I could finally stop complaining about our D. Sounds like Doug is done back there though. What are the pairings? Gonna be real key to find out in camp. If they keep Boyle/Murray then is it Burns/Demers as the top pairing with Vlasic/Braun as the third?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If we added Hejda I think I could finally stop complaining about our D. Sounds like Doug is done back there though. What are the pairings? Gonna be real key to find out in camp. If they keep Boyle/Murray then is it Burns/Demers as the top pairing with Vlasic/Braun as the third?

If Dougie is done with the backend now then they are no better off then where they finished this last season. The Burns trade didn't address their most pressing issue which is a dman (or pair of) who can handle top offensive lines. Burns isn't great defensively and is nothing more than a replacement/marginal upgrade over White.

Boyle - Murray
Demers - Vlasic
Braun - Burns

This defensive group is okay but not close to cup worthy.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dougie is done with the backend now then they are no better off then where they finished this last season. The Burns trade didn't address their most pressing issue which is a dman (or pair of) who can handle top offensive lines. Burns isn't great defensively and is nothing more than a replacement/marginal upgrade over White.

Boyle - Murray
Demers - Vlasic
Braun - Burns

Exactly right... From most comments I'm reading (elsewhere), people fail to realize that White is gone... and that Burns is a replacement for White.

Dougie seems to think he's done on the defensive side, but yeah, the defense isn't really any better than last year.

Just wait until he signs Huskins for $2M/year as his 7th defenseman... :L

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS. That Braun-Burns pair can't be a real actual pairing, right? A skilled team like Detroit will run circles around them and score on every shift they're out there...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Exactly right... From most comments I'm reading (elsewhere), people fail to realize that White is gone... and that Burns is a replacement for White.

Dougie seems to think he's done on the defensive side, but yeah, the defense isn't really any better than last year.

Just wait until he signs Huskins for $2M/year as his 7th defenseman... :L

White is as good as gone and this probably bumps Braun out of the top six unless he moves to the left side. Murray and Vlasic are their only natural left side dmen so they have a spot and could certainly use an upgrade there.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PS. That Braun-Burns pair can't be a real actual pairing, right? A skilled team like Detroit will run circles around them and score on every shift they're out there...

Probably not I just posted that as it's the Sharks current top six. Braun and Burns play the same side.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's was pretty steep price to pay. If Burns is re-signed it's a fair deal. This also gives the Sharks three 2nd round picks in a very deep 2012 draft.

As far as the team goes I'd still like to see them add Hejda to the back end then bring in either Leino or Jussi Jokinen to the top six.

I'd be really happy if DWil could bring in Hejda and Jokinen. That would be a hell of an offseason. Also agree that if Burns isn't resigned, that's a horrible trade, but if he resigns long term, it's a fair (but steep price). That said, the only piece I'm really sad to lose is Coyle (even though I would have preferred Pavs over Seto).....then again, I was really sad to lose Wishart too, so what do I know, lol.

Boyle - Murray
Demers - Vlasic
Braun - Burns

I disagree a ton with the bold above. White wasn't all that good in his own end either and Burns had 17 goals on a goal starved team. Burns is MUCH better than White offensively and from what I've seen, about the same defensively. Like I mentioned earlier though Cmon, I agree with you that they really need someone like Hejda to come in still. If Dougie's done, this defense is not Stanley Cup caliber yet and we've lost some offense in Seto.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd be really happy if DWil could bring in Hejda and Jokinen. That would be a hell of an offseason. Also agree that if Burns isn't resigned, that's a horrible trade, but if he resigns long term, it's a fair (but steep price). That said, the only piece I'm really sad to lose is Coyle (even though I would have preferred Pavs over Seto).....then again, I was really sad to lose Wishart too, so what do I know, lol.

I disagree a ton with the bold above. White wasn't all that good in his own end either and Burns had 17 goals on a goal starved team. Burns is MUCH better than White offensively and from what I've seen, about the same defensively. Like I mentioned earlier though Cmon, I agree with you that they really need someone like Hejda to come in still. If Dougie's done, this defense is not Stanley Cup caliber yet and we've lost some offense in Seto.

If Burns and White played the same role with the Sharks next year you'd only be looking at about a 10 point differential between the two. Burns is slightly better on both sides of the puck but White is better in transition which is going to be a huge necessity if the team doesn't drastically improve it's speed on the front end.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Marleau last year blowing by Burns to score. Now, it was Marleau and not some 3rd liner, but with Burns still learning the position (he was converted to defense 4? years ago) I have my reservations about him being matched up against other team's top lines.

I think the current 6 is better than the blueline of last season. Burns is better than White and Braun is better than Wallin/Huskins, though that's partially an assumption. I may be just so disgusted with WAllin/Huskins that I'm biased.

Either way, as far as next season is concerned, it was a Seto for Burns trade and I like that trade. Unless Burns is re-signed and makes improvements to his game, this trade will favor the Wild in the long run. But who cares about the long run, right? Win now.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Marleau last year blowing by Burns to score. Now, it was Marleau and not some 3rd liner, but with Burns still learning the position (he was converted to defense 4? years ago) I have my reservations about him being matched up against other team's top lines.

I think the current 6 is better than the blueline of last season. Burns is better than White and Braun is better than Wallin/Huskins, though that's partially an assumption. I may be just so disgusted with WAllin/Huskins that I'm biased.

Either way, as far as next season is concerned, it was a Seto for Burns trade and I like that trade. Unless Burns is re-signed and makes improvements to his game, this trade will favor the Wild in the long run. But who cares about the long run, right? Win now.

I agree (especially since the Sharks have completely sacrificed their future to this point) but this trade doesn't put the Sharks over the top to win it all IMO. There's still a lot of offseason left so we'll see what else Dougie has in mind, but as it stands right now, this team still wouldn't make it past the WCF.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree (especially since the Sharks have completely sacrificed their future to this point) but this trade doesn't put the Sharks over the top to win it all IMO. There's still a lot of offseason left so we'll see what else Dougie has in mind, but as it stands right now, this team still wouldn't make it past the WCF.

IMO they need to make a significant upgrade the spot that Braun is currently slotted for. They also need to replace Seto's scoring, speed, and forechecking ability. Eric Cole would top my list followed closely by Jussi Jokinen. Leino isn't great on the forecheck and is also more of a distributor than a goal scorer so he'd be #3 or 4 on my list. They also need a 3rd liner with speed and more scoring ability than Mitchell. Ward, Upshall, Fleischmann (depending on health), and Higgins are all possibilities.

Bowlby

The DON
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so is everyone under the assumption that Braun isnt good? and wont get any better? i thought he was a young improving guy? guess im out of the loop? and is everyone forgetting Demers didnt play most of the couver seiers so adding him back gives us more mobility on the blue line? and petrecki could(maybe a big could) actually contribute this year as well.... is there any possibility you guys can do the glass half full perception for a few weeks, your killing my buzz...

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so is everyone under the assumption that Braun isnt good? and wont get any better? i thought he was a young improving guy? guess im out of the loop? and is everyone forgetting Demers didnt play most of the couver seiers so adding him back gives us more mobility on the blue line? and petrecki could(maybe a big could) actually contribute this year as well.... is there any possibility you guys can do the glass half full perception for a few weeks, your killing my buzz...

From what I saw last season, Braun has to get better defensively to play a top 6 role on a contending team. I think a lot of it has to do with physical strength and the ability to not get out muscled. There needs to be a security blanket for Braun. Both for the Sharks sake and the sake of his development.