• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Bulls vs GS: 8pm est ESPN

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part for me that stood out the most in both the Cavs and Bulls game is the Warriors finally ramped up their defense. After allowing 113 to Detroit, they allowed 98 to the Cavs and 94 to the Bulls. For the Cavs, 31 of those points came in the 4th quarter garbage time. For the Bulls 31 of those points also came in the 4th quarter garbage time.

This year there has been a noticeable drop off in their defense, which I'm positive comes from Kerr not being around. The reason the Warriors were a force last year was because they could win games by defending and not just outscoring their opponents. It seems this year the theme has just been to outscore teams. The Warriors are in great form right now, but not in championship form yet. They need to shore up their defense and bring it back to a championship level.
I kind of agree. I think they have learned they can "turn on" their defense when needed and have gotten into that habit. I do agree it's because Kerr isn't on the bench being that constant reminder of the goal. But, I disagree with them not being in championship form yet. They're there. IMO the evidence is in games when they're trailing for a significant part of the game then come back to win.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of agree. I think they have learned they can "turn on" their defense when needed and have gotten into that habit. I do agree it's because Kerr isn't on the bench being that constant reminder of the goal. But, I disagree with them not being in championship form yet. They're there. IMO the evidence is in games when they're trailing for a significant part of the game then come back to win.

To me championship form means being able to beat a team like the Spurs in a game where the score ends up something like 90-85. I don't think they're at that level yet. The difference for me between the Spurs and Warriors as of right now is consistency. The Spurs are a bit up and down on offense, but defensively they're consistently great. If you play a team like that, you can't simply rely on your strengths on offense to get you past them. The Warriors have to be able to play 48 minutes of great defense. Right now, as you said, they're in a turn it on mode. Maybe that has to do with the regular season grind, but I'd like to see more consistency from the Warriors on the defensive end.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me championship form means being able to beat a team like the Spurs in a game where the score ends up something like 90-85. I don't think they're at that level yet. The difference for me between the Spurs and Warriors as of right now is consistency. The Spurs are a bit up and down on offense, but defensively they're consistently great. If you play a team like that, you can't simply rely on your strengths on offense to get you past them. The Warriors have to be able to play 48 minutes of great defense. Right now, as you said, they're in a turn it on mode. Maybe that has to do with the regular season grind, but I'd like to see more consistency from the Warriors on the defensive end.
How do we know they can't beat a team like the Spurs when they haven't played yet? I mean the teams that they lost to are not even close to the caliber of the Spurs.
IMO in the games that they dominate from start to finish, like against the Cavs the other night they proved they can play defense consistently.

How much more do you need from them to think they're ready when they've already won last season and have improved over the summer? To me that is proof enough. I just really think Kerr missing has a lot to do with them being lazy at times...and also their record. They haven't had "must win" games yet this season.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do we know they can't beat a team like the Spurs when they haven't played yet? I mean the teams that they lost to are not even close to the caliber of the Spurs.
IMO in the games that they dominate from start to finish, like against the Cavs the other night they proved they can play defense consistently.

How much more do you need from them to think they're ready when they've already won last season and have improved over the summer? To me that is proof enough. I just really think Kerr missing has a lot to do with them being lazy at times...and also their record. They haven't had "must win" games yet this season.

I think you're nitpicking at my sentiment.

The Warriors are CAPABLE of playing 48 minutes of great defense. The problem has been, as you've even acknowledged, that they don't do this consistently. You hold the Cavs and Bulls to 98 and 94 respectively. But previous to that they allowed 110 by the Nuggets, 116 by the Kings and 113 by the Pistons in the last two weeks. They've even allowed 123 points to the Pacers, in regulation.

The Warriors will not have any "must win" games this year. Even the Spurs game is not a must win. It's always easy to get up for the big games against the Cavs, Bulls, Clippers, etc.

I think the Warriors are capable of winning the championship as is. However, I would feel MORE comfortable about it, once the defense is back in place to what it was last year.

Also I didn't say they couldn't beat the Spurs. Go back and read what I wrote. I said I didn't think they could win a grind it out game, solely on their defense AT THIS POINT.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're nitpicking at my sentiment.

The Warriors are CAPABLE of playing 48 minutes of great defense. The problem has been, as you've even acknowledged, that they don't do this consistently. You hold the Cavs and Bulls to 98 and 94 respectively. But previous to that they allowed 110 by the Nuggets, 116 by the Kings and 113 by the Pistons in the last two weeks. They've even allowed 123 points to the Pacers, in regulation.

The Warriors will not have any "must win" games this year. Even the Spurs game is not a must win. It's always easy to get up for the big games against the Cavs, Bulls, Clippers, etc.

I think the Warriors are capable of winning the championship as is. However, I would feel MORE comfortable about it, once the defense is back in place to what it was last year.
Not nitpicking, just trying to understand. If we know they can play at a very high level then why say they aren't championship ready? I just provided some reasons that I feel have shown they're more than ready.

I think what would make them impossible to beat is if they brought their TOs down significantly. I doubt any team could play as many games as there are in a season without having TOs, but if they can get them down to a single digit number for the game they would be in great shape. That is what helps other teams stay in the games at times and why they have to play more defense.

The Spurs are a team that will make them pay for turning the ball over so it will be interesting to watch how it unfolds.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I harp on defense so much is I firmly believe that was the reason for the Warriors championship last year. The Warriors offense was truly dynamic, but the Warriors defense was what made them.

Look at these numbers from last year:
Regular Season 14-15
Warriors PPG Average - 110.0
Opponents PPG Average - 99.9

Post Season 14-15
Warriors PPG Average - 103.3
Opponents PPG Average - 95.5

This Year
Regular Season 15-16
Warriors PPG Average - 114.6
Opponents PPG Average - 102.4

The playoffs are a completely different animal than the regular season, as evidence by the reduction in numbers above. The Warriors are scoring more per game, which is why they've been on this incredible run. Their defensive numbers indicate room for improvement.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I harp on defense so much is I firmly believe that was the reason for the Warriors championship last year. The Warriors offense was truly dynamic, but the Warriors defense was what made them.

Look at these numbers from last year:
Regular Season 14-15
Warriors PPG Average - 110.0
Opponents PPG Average - 99.9

Post Season 14-15
Warriors PPG Average - 103.3
Opponents PPG Average - 95.5

This Year
Regular Season 15-16
Warriors PPG Average - 114.6
Opponents PPG Average - 102.4

The playoffs are a completely different animal than the regular season, as evidence by the reduction in numbers above. The Warriors are scoring more per game, which is why they've been on this incredible run. Their defensive numbers indicate room for improvement.
LOL I hear ya but you act like their numbers are drastically different than last year. They only allow teams 3 more points (regular season numbers). And we don't know yet how they will elevate their game come the post season. While that seems like a lot they more than make up for it on offense since that number has gone up by 11 points.

Also, it's kinda hard to compare the seasons side by side when we're not even half way through this season yet.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors have lost 4 games total this season and we're halfway done with the season. It's fair to say that the Dubs are playing at a high level. I get what he's saying though, and I'm glad to see he's not getting too cocky.

It's a very dangerous game when you (as a team) decide to play lackadaisical at times during the season and expect to turn the switch on all of a sudden. The Spurs are setting good habits while the Dubs are setting some bad habits. I'll still take the Dubs if these two teams meet in the playoffs. But that's only because the Warriors are talented enough to get out of a hole in the blink of an eye. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs won that series either.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I hear ya but you act like their numbers are drastically different than last year. They only allow teams 3 more points (regular season numbers). And we don't know yet how they will elevate their game come the post season. While that seems like a lot they more than make up for it on offense since that number has gone up by 11 points.

Also, it's kinda hard to compare the seasons side by side when we're not even half way through this season yet.

I guess my biggest premise is that as well as the Warriors are playing, there is room for improvement. Specifically defensively they have the most upside to improve upon.

Complacency is always an issue for great teams. I'd rather them shore up any lingering issues as the year progresses than rely on an ability to just turn it up in the post season. The Warriors can't just say "well we're playing ___ now, let's go 100%".

I'm ecstatic with how they're playing right now. But the biggest goal is on the championship run. As Heatles just said, they have to instill good habits first.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my biggest premise is that as well as the Warriors are playing, there is room for improvement. Specifically defensively they have the most upside to improve upon.

Complacency is always an issue for great teams. I'd rather them shore up any lingering issues as the year progresses than rely on an ability to just turn it up in the post season. The Warriors can't just say "well we're playing ___ now, let's go 100%".

I'm ecstatic with how they're playing right now. But the biggest goal is on the championship run. As Heatles just said, they have to instill good habits first.
I definitely agree that getting into bad habits are never good. My point was about whether or not they're championship ready. IMO they are.

But I don't disagree with them tying up lose ends in terms of playing consistent defense. Here's the flip side to that coin, though. If they play defense at the level they can chances are they will be tired at the end of an 82 game season (especially at the rate they've been winning). So, I guess I'm ok with seeing a loss here and there.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely agree that getting into bad habits are never good. My point was about whether or not they're championship ready. IMO they are.

But I don't disagree with them tying up lose ends in terms of playing consistent defense. Here's the flip side to that coin, though. If they play defense at the level they can chances are they will be tired at the end of an 82 game season (especially at the rate they've been winning). So, I guess I'm ok with seeing a loss here and there.

Yeah, I don't want the team worn down. What I haven't seen from the Warriors though is a stretch of 5-6 games where they play great defense. They've done so in spurts and even from quarter to quarter. That's why I said it was great to see them put together two excellent defensive showings in a row against quality teams. Of course there is some let down to be expected against lesser opponents. It would just alleviate some of my concerns if they were able to show they can put together a stretch of games where they shut their opponents down.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be a good game, could be a finals preview.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't want the team worn down. What I haven't seen from the Warriors though is a stretch of 5-6 games where they play great defense. They've done so in spurts and even from quarter to quarter. That's why I said it was great to see them put together two excellent defensive showings in a row against quality teams. Of course there is some let down to be expected against lesser opponents. It would just alleviate some of my concerns if they were able to show they can put together a stretch of games where they shut their opponents down.
I get that & to some degree will agree. But, as good as they are collectively as a team they still aren't perfect.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be a good game, could be a finals preview.

The game already happened and sadly, it wasn't a good game.

The Saturday matchup between the Bulls and Cavs, though, should be good and possibly an ECF preview.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that makes the Warriors so scary is that they can bury you in the span of 6 or 7 minutes with a crazy run.

On the other hand, they are almost impossible to put away. No lead feels safe against them.

^^^THIS^^^

In one of the games vs. the Lakers this year, the Lakers were hanging close (within 4-6 points) and looking like they were going to keep it competitive. I got up to do something, came back about 5 minutes later and the Warriors were up 15.