• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bud Dupree suspension for hit on Matt Moore?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$32,000 fine and nothing more. They aren't going to do a suspension in the playoffs, and unless he has a habit of hits like that probably not a suspension in the regular season.

True. This is why it will continue to happen, because:

1. the fine might be less than the playoff success incentives in the contract;
2. the fine is less than what one could gather in a new contract if the team wins and the hit is recognized as an asset;
3. the 15 yards is minor compared to a disjointed or knocked out QB, etc.
4. Even if suspended, they advanced and who knows what would happen in a different game if they let up?

But if they were to suspend him, what happens if/when Harrison does it again? I guess if they are playing the Patriots then it would be automatic. ;)

They didn't need to knock Moore out to win the game. If Tannehill were the precautionary backup, it would technically be preferable to not knock out Moore (assuming Tannehill were ready to go in emergency, better with more reps, etc.). Then again, I don't think teams look at the scoreboard for these things or make evaluations of which QB they are playing unless it'd bring national attention and suspension if they did advance. But these guys are capable of comebacks, so maybe you hit them anyway?

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which he was.

I mean, the section quoted starts with: "When the passer goes outside the pocket area and either continues moving with the ball (without attempting to advance the ball as a runner) or throws while on the run..."

Look at the video....He starts at the 40 and moves forward. Only when he sees Dupree coming at him does he decide to throw it!!!! Seems to me starting at the 40 and getting laid out at the 35 would constitute him as moving forward!!!

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly a fine...the fact that the QB came back in a player later, very doubtful he gets any type suspension...not a repeat offender.

The act should be separated from the outcome.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the video....He starts at the 40 and moves forward. Only when he sees Dupree coming at him does he decide to throw it!!!! Seems to me starting at the 40 and getting laid out at the 35 would constitute him as moving forward!!!

"Or throws on the run..."

Are you intentionally disregarding the last part of that sentence or did you not read that far?

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was advancing the ball - therefore he was a runner. He certainly didn't establish himself as a passer until the very end. At that point the defender was full speed.

I can't see any kind of fine without opening Pandora's box.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How? He was trying to get to Moore before Moore could throw the ball. And he was a millisecond late. What was he supposed to do?

Well, what the NFL wants him to do in the future, is to let up and let the QB complete throws downfield.

Credit to Moore for standing tough, but he knew what was gonna happen there, and willingly took the beating to help his team. He could have gone fetal, or ran out of bounds.

Not lead with his helmet, which caused helmet to helmet contact.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once you roll out of the pocket you're considered a runner and you're fair game. Shouldn't have been flagged.

Moore should have made up his mind sooner and thrown it away.
Made a great throw. His receiver should have caught that...

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Or throws on the run..."

Are you intentionally disregarding the last part of that sentence or did you not read that far?

I am intentionally telling you "he was moving forward"

WTF is he suppose to do, wait and see if he is gonna keep running or knock him on his ass???

I agree with the later. He was running forward, and thought to throw it when he saw what was coming.

Calm

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was advancing the ball - therefore he was a runner. He certainly didn't establish himself as a passer until the very end. At that point the defender was full speed.

I can't see any kind of fine without opening Pandora's box.

Well it's already in the rule, so yeah.

Besides, he never tucked the ball. Kept it in a position to throw, looking downfield the entire time.

Calm

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am intentionally telling you "he was moving forward"

WTF is he suppose to do, wait and see if he is gonna keep running or knock him on his ass???

I agree with the later. He was running forward, and thought to throw it when he saw what was coming.

You might think you can cherry pick which part of the rule you want to apply, but that's not how it works.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might think you can cherry pick which part of the rule you want to apply, but that's not how it works.

Hey, you said it.
And he did it, he was moving forward with the ball.
Cherry picked it right from 'your quote'

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to get into an argument over this but I felt it was late and needlessly aggressive. Helmet to the chops.

And the hit on Nelson in the ribs was actually even more suspendable to my eye. A definite lead with head. And Nelson doesn't seem likely to be playing next week.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, you said it.
And he did it, he was moving forward with the ball.
Cherry picked it right from 'your quote'

But he also lead with his head and made helmet to helmet contact, something the NFL has been adamant about getting rid of in the game.

If it's his first offense give him a fine, and move along.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he also lead with his head and made helmet to helmet contact, something the NFL has been adamant about getting rid of in the game.

If it's his first offense give him a fine, and move along.

I agree with the helmet to helmet, but that's it....

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if he keeps doing it, he'll start seeing Asante Samueleque type fines, and possible suspension.

I don't see it a going to be a continued occurrence....
How many times will a Bud Dupree face a 3rd string QB who is crazy enough to run that far around the edge with two of the leagues fastest LBs on the field???
I think the whole thing took the both of them by surprise. Moore was surprised and yelled, 'oh shit' and Dupree was surprised and turned up the heat.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it a going to be a continued occurrence....
How many times will a Bud Dupree face a 3rd string QB who is crazy enough to run that far around the edge with two of the leagues fastest LBs on the field???
I think the whole thing took the both of them by surprise. Moore was surprised and yelled, 'oh shit' and Dupree was surprised and turned up the heat.

I would hope not since he is as young as he is, and this point of contention by the NFL has been known to teams for many years now, so I have to assume they are teaching to lead with his shoulder and not his head.

Plus I don't understand why guys do it, Asante for example, since you are at nearly as much risk as the person receiving the hit.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The act should be separated from the outcome.

Probably should, but the reality is...

You punch somebody in the face and put them in the hospital...you most likely get an assault charge.

I punch somebody in the face and they die as a result...I might get manslaughter...certainly something more than assault.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably should, but the reality is...

You punch somebody in the face and put them in the hospital...you most likely get an assault charge.

I punch somebody in the face and they die as a result...I might get manslaughter...certainly something more than assault.

And if you kick them while say wearing footwear and they die, it's murder via "shod foot"

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ATL96Steeler

And in MA if you puch someone in the face it's misdemeanor battery, but if you kick them in the face while wearing shoes, it's felony battery. WTF is the difference?